Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

05' GT Single or Twin Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:01 PM
PizZle
1st Gear Member

Default 05' GT Single or Twin Turbo?

Hello, i am a first time member of the forums as well as a first time pony owner. i was wondering what would be the best turbo setup for my 05' Mustang GT. i had looked at the twin turbo setups as well as the single, and i don't really want to pay a fortune for the twins, would rather get a single and spend money beefin' up the engine! any thoughts or suggestions?!? Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/34593/D8540FBDB0B143009BEBDB5FFD08B159.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-12-2006, 02:32 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 05' GT Single or Twin Turbo?

I would stick with a single, even with that over 400hp your gonna hafta beef up the engine.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:35 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Truly, it depends on what the driving of the vehicle is going to be. If you are going for something fun on the streets with the occasional track pass, go with the single. If it is going to be a track car with an occasional street fling, go twin. Either way you will not be disappointed I am sure. The engineering behind the turbo setups now days is far superior to the past. Proper turbo size for the application is the key.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:50 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

I'm going with the Powerhouse turbo on my car, I am dropping the car off this Saturday for installation. Like hawgman said a single is more than enough for the street and a properly sized single turbo system is cheaper and makes boost just as fast as a twin turbo setup. I think full boost by 2900 rpm's is more than adequate (that's what GMS and Powerhouse are seeing).

I will report back when I pick up the car on 3/22.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:53 PM
PizZle
1st Gear Member

I had looked at the Powerhouse kit as well as the GMS (which is the Granatelli Motor Sports right?) another question i have is my goal is to break the 500hp mark, what would i need to beef up?? cause i dont really know what the HP limit is on the 4.6L v8. thanks again
Old 04-12-2006, 05:25 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Yes, GMS is Granatelli Motorsports. 500hp at the crank is easy bolt on any of the available turbo options at 8psi and you will be there, that would net you around 450rwhp. Both the GMS and Powerhouse kits are more than adequate to make 600rwhp. To get to 500 rwhp and be safe and just make the number all you need is a good shortblock and a turbo kit. To get it to the ground you will need a decent clutch and suspension upgrades. An aluminum driveshaft would also be recommended and a better differential.

An extra 50rwhp costs a lot because to be safe you will need an upgraded shortblock.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:59 PM
PizZle
1st Gear Member

That's what i had thought, cause i knew that i could manage 500hp but only 450hp at the wheels, so your sayin if i want the extra 50hp and have 500hp at the wheels i need to do those upgrades?? How much psi do u plan on runnin?
Old 04-12-2006, 08:19 PM
PizZle
1st Gear Member

Does anyone know if i would need to do anything to my stock fuel setup if i run 8-10psi on a single turbo kit for a 05' GT?
Old 04-13-2006, 01:17 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Pizzle - I plan on running 8psi and it should put down right at 450rwhp on a Mustang Dyno, this is the recommended maximum on pump gas and a stock pump with a BAP (which is included in the base turbo kit) according to Powerhouse. They also have a dual fuel pump setup available for $450, which alone according to Powerhouse is good for 550rwhp on pump gas and with a BAP and dual fuel pumps they haven't realized a maximum yet (keep in mind they are still running a stock long block also). I intend to do my own dual fuel pump setup with 8AN line from the tank to the engine so that I will never run out of fuel and I will be ready when I build a shortblock.

Yes, at a bare minimum you will need a shortblock to be safe at 500rwhp and at that horsepower I would definitely do some fuel system upgrades (at minimum dual fuel pumps) and 60lb injectors.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:27 AM
PizZle
1st Gear Member

do you know if GMS is offering that in thier kit because their components list from the website is kinda scarce.

Quick Reply: 05' GT Single or Twin Turbo?