Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

'06 GT Premium - haggled and drove off with a steal!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 12:24 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: '06 GT Premium - haggled and drove off with a steal!

ORIGINAL: texanknight

Two answers - one post.....

Dealership - Hwy 288 south of the beltway ( Southern Ford ) go late, like right before closing and know what you want when you walk in. Be prepared to leave if they don't won't to work with you. After 20 mins of negotation, the salesman gave up (kinda) and I dealt directly with the sales manager.

Color - Tungsten Grey.

I know my next ? is not in the right forum, but I am looking for the following upgrades after having the car one day:
Deeper Exhaust ( FlowMaster, Borla, etc) but I want an economical solution that won't cost a grand.
Cold Air Intake - such as K&N
Window Tints - Talked to a police officer and he said no darker than 25% on the sides and anything you want on the back (is this right)

Regards.
PM me if you want a K&N Aircharger CAI Cheap, I have one that I am looking to sell.
The K&N Aircharger CAI was Installed and ran for a 1100 miles, I then purchased a JLT II with a SCT II tuner combo so I don't need the K&N now. The K&N does not require a Tune since the MAF size is the same as the stock MAF, you get a cool intake sound a WOT and I did get more HP/milage/performace from it. the trick is that when installing, disconnect the battery for a few hours when you reconnect and start your car, drive it around so that your PCM re-learns A/F ratios. Some may argue with this statement but I did this and had the car dynoed a few months later and the A/F was right on the money not lean. then I got the dyno tune with the SCT, next 4:10 Gears...

Exhaust Hmm First I would do a search on this site there is TONS of posts on exhaust, that said, I like the Borla sound deep with no drone, if you want a real deep sound go with MAC's, problem is that they have a loud drone.
Axle backs are easy to install. I do not like the Flowmasters sound is too close to stock.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

That car is almost identical to mine, the only difference is that I didnt get the shaker.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:33 PM
texanknight

I'll let you know about the CAI...As for the mufflers, you just answered half of my questions...No Flowbies for me. It'll be Borla or perhaps SLP LM's.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:35 PM
texanknight

Sweet. Thing about mine that sux is I can't roll down the windows to let folks hear the shaker because it just come out of the Window Tint shop today.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:35 AM
. GT .

..."Thing about mine that sux is I can't roll down the windows to let folks hear the shaker because it just come out of the Window Tint shop today."
Window tint issue, word of caution:

The 05-06 Mustangs do not have the felt strip in the door where the glass slides up and down like the older Mustangs did and the rest of the cars on the planet do. What that means is when any grit at all gets in the door, like it normally does, it scratches the window tint all up and down the window.

Do a search to see if someone has come up with a solution. This is a known issue at Ford, and they do not offer the felt or any solution. Ford also does not cover any tint scratching under warranty.

Please post back here when you find a sloution to keep the window tint from getting scratched.

Hope that helps. Best of luck to you.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:19 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

You guys obviously got better deals than I. Good luck with the new toy.

Around here (northern NJ) you cant find manual GT coupes, let alone haggle on them. Last week, I checked every dealer around and came up with one that had two black/charcoal (not my first color choice, I wanted vista blue/graphite) GT premium 5 speeds. I managed to get a test drive after telling them straight out I would never buy a car without driving it first. They started at 3000 over MSRP. All 06 new orders are full according to most dealers so ordering a car was out unless I wanted to wait till the late fall it would seem.

Without me really haggling, the dealer with the two black coupes came down to 1000 under MSRP. After a week of phone calls, I finally found a dealer 3 hours away in the sticks that had one coupe coming in a month that I could option as I pleased before it was built for 1000 under. He claims he ordered the car 3 months ago. So thats what I ended up doing this past Friday.

NJ/NY dealers are insane due to the way cars sell around here. I called one dealer, stated nicely I was looking for a loaded GT premium with a stick. He replied, "Yea, you and 500 other people. I have one coming in this month, how much are you willing to pay for it" I said, I am not paying over MSRP for a mustang if that is what you are getting at, he said good luck with that and hung up.

I had to call 3 hours out of state to get treated decently. Overall, I am happy with my 1000 under deal considering the market, but it is the closest to MSRP I have ever paid for any car. If I placed a new 07 order I would have shopped around alot more but I didnt want to wait.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:05 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

yea, i live in south jersey. they all laough at going under msrp, most of them have a $1G mark up on the msrp.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:29 AM
k9eros

No, not correct. Side windows must be no darker than 35%. DPS normally gives you 10% and writes citations at 25%. However, that is an unwritten policy, you can get a citation at 34%. Only the rear window can be darker, and the windshield can be tinted no lower than the AS1 line. Yes, I know what I'm talking about, I've been a Texas traffic officer for 21 years and do carry a tint meter.

Window Tints - Talked to a police officer and he said no darker than 25% on the sides and anything you want on the back (is this right)

Regards.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:42 PM
texanknight

Thanks for your input - now I have a little concern. I ended up taking the car to a tint shop that I had previously visited to see their work. It looked good and they had all the points in my readings covered. Friday, took the car in and explained to them I wanted it to be legal. I also made stipulation that if I got a ticket as result - they would be responsible for fixing the tint and paying the fine. This is noted on my receipt and signed by the owner.

Here's what they said would be legal and in the end - they put their cert on the driver side window:
Back - 5% Tint
Rear Side Windows - 5%. I questioned it, but he assured that I could do this as long as the windows were stationary.
Front Side Windows (doors) - 30%
Front Windshield - 15%. I pointed the AS1 line out to them and said I knew it could not go below that. It's about 1in below, so I'm tempted to take it back and have it trimmed.

34% and a sitation? I understand and respect the safety of the police force, but this seems a bit too light. According to Texas DPS website, it mentions only 25%, of course it may not be up to date. Anyway, I hope that I am ok with the 30% on the door windows, and believe to have my butt covered by the installer if not.

I used to live in Georgia, and have since transported my truck with me. I guess it's time to strip that film off and make it legal. 5% on the rear and front windshield strip w/ 20% on the side doors. Never had a problem in Georgia in the 6 years I've had the vehicle, but officers didn't really force it unless you got pulled over for other citations. I understand in talking with the officer here, that DPS will pull you over if they even think it may be too dark.

Is there a possibility that I can buy a tint meter to check my cars and be sure I'm within tolerance?

ORIGINAL: k9eros

No, not correct. Side windows must be no darker than 35%. DPS normally gives you 10% and writes citations at 25%. However, that is an unwritten policy, you can get a citation at 34%. Only the rear window can be darker, and the windshield can be tinted no lower than the AS1 line. Yes, I know what I'm talking about, I've been a Texas traffic officer for 21 years and do carry a tint meter.

Regards.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:08 PM
pastor_ice43
2nd Gear Member

tints look dumb if it's not the same % on every window.

Quick Reply: '06 GT Premium - haggled and drove off with a steal!