Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Best CAI with tunner package for GT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:50 PM
05gtrules
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Best CAI with tunner package for GT?

ORIGINAL: Evolution Performance

Get the CAI and XCal2 from Me!
I got the JLT2/XCAL2 package from Fred at Evo... awesome price, awesome tune... love it!
Old 04-17-2006, 06:02 PM
EJD05GT
2nd Gear Member

The best? Steeda High Velocity Cold Air Intake and Steeda Predator. You get what you pay for.

ORIGINAL: saud alzaabi

I know that some of you guys hate these questions whats the best this and whats the best that ....

But I posted this question because a friend of mine is going to order a CAI and a tuner ... so i told him go with brenspeeds tune and the C&L CAI ... but there is this mechanic in the shop who keeps saying that the predator tunner is the best on the market ...I know that the predator is good but I heard u dont have options in it like the sct xcalibrator 2 .... so my question is should we go for the predator or the XCAL2 ? and which CAI has the best power gains and quality ?

thanks
Old 04-17-2006, 08:19 PM
lost in kuwait

i put a jlt and and x2 with a tune from bama chips i tried the pred first but the fuel here in kuwait varies to much i had some detonaton problems the jlt is very easy to work with and the x2 is a no brainer
Old 04-17-2006, 08:43 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

05gtrules
+1
Lost in Kiwait
+1
MIRAGEGT
+1

Saud alzaabi,
Remember you live it's a bit warmer area of the world and the C&L is a aluminum intake so it holds heat. the thick PVC intake of the JLT II will shield the incoming air. Abu Bhabi avg Daytime Temp 101°F / 38°C Night time Avg 77°F /25°C

Lost in Kiwait, is correct; get theSCT II Tuner from Bama Chips and the JLT II all the way... you will Love it..

I just installed the JLT II with a Dyno tune... Awsome 28hp gain

[IMG]local://upfiles/25187/597153008F6B42E38747C024416008BC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-17-2006, 11:52 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Do you have more pictures of the engine compartment? I like what you did to clean up the wiring, not so much the yellow wire ties but the rest is fantastic!
Old 04-18-2006, 01:18 AM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

All I had was Yellow and Pink, I choose yellow
the rest of the stuff is Spectre Stainless Steel Braided Sleeving Kit with Red/Blue Magna Clamps from Summit Racing, I am slowly installing these because of the price of each hose clamp is around 6-12 bucks. And of course Midwest auto plenum cover and hand polished valve covers and I covered all exposed wires with red wire loom.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25187/597153008F6B42E38747C024416008BC.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]local://upfiles/25187/47FF34FC0833434ABF119D318E3AFCC8.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]local://upfiles/25187/CD5D101897244A75B76B8D1D82140636.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]local://upfiles/25187/EC4BC404912A4E8A94873850A774026A.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]local://upfiles/25187/B859871A70EE40608B21FDFD45261794.jpg[/IMG]

I Found Spectre Magna-Braid Kits on Ebay, be carfull, make sure they are REAL STAINLESS STEEL
the cheep braiding turns dark.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:35 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

i dont mean to sound like a idiot, but im about too. I order my stang not to long ago; and its my first 8cyc usa car. So im not to good w/ what tuners and cai you guys are talking about and that is something i would like to know more about.

so what does sct2, JLT, Xcal, etc stand for it? I'm reading everyone post about cai and tuners and i have no idea what those stand for?? (just trying to get an idea)

any help would be great, thanks...

ps-being a newbie rules!
Old 04-18-2006, 01:52 AM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: johnnyv8

i dont mean to sound like a idiot, but im about too. I order my stang not to long ago; and its my first 8cyc usa car. So im not to good w/ what tuners and cai you guys are talking about and that is something i would like to know more about.

so what does sct2, JLT, Xcal, etc stand for it? I'm reading everyone post about cai and tuners and i have no idea what those stand for?? (just trying to get an idea)

any help would be great, thanks...

ps-being a newbie rules!
Don't worry thats what these forums are for, (so that we all sound like idiots) Just Kidding, we are all here to help and learn.

SCT II Xcaliber is a hand held tuner that programs your cars computer, you can change Air fuel ratios, timming, wheel sizes, gears, everything the computer controls you can tweek or get a custom tune from a sponsor here Like Bama Chips or Evolution Performance, Inc.
you can buy a combo intake with a tuner and tunes for 87, 89 and 93 octane gas.
There is another tuner on the market called a DiabloSport Predators. Basicly the same as SCT. Best way to explain is, in the old days tuning was replacing a chip in to PCM, now just plug it in under the dash and have fun.

The CAI is a Cold Air Intake, It replaces the Stock Air Filter and Box, these reduce restrictions in the air entering the motor, giving you more power. Again there are several Intakes on the market, K&N, C&L, JLT, MAC, Steeda Ect...

Edit, (Spelling) I can't :-)
Old 04-18-2006, 03:02 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

2k05gt, i'm not sure if you read your pm's often so I just copy and pasted this in which I pmed to you.

I plan on ordering the same basic engine bay setup as you along with the midwest plenum cover which will be painted gloss black with the GT in silver along with the ridges in silver. I was curious if you could tell me how many of each magna clamps you needed and the sizes. I plan on going with the stainless steel and not the red/blue clamps. I also will be purchasing the stainless steel sleeving kit.

Thanks, Jeff

Old 04-18-2006, 03:58 AM
undefeated
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: undefeated

I know that some of you guys hate these questions whats the best this and whats the best that ....

But I posted this question because a friend of mine is going to order a CAI and a tuner ... so i told him go with brenspeeds tune and the C&L CAI ... but there is this mechanic in the shop who keeps saying that the predator tunner is the best on the market ...I know that the predator is good but I heard u dont have options in it like the sct xcalibrator 2 .... so my question is should we go for the predator or the XCAL2 ? and which CAI has the best power gains and quality ?

thanks
Stay away from the Mac Cold air kit. You'll be sorry on dyno day.[X(]
is this a name of another Intake ?

Well, Mac sells a straight shot Cold air intake kit. Basically just a filter to replace your stock airbox. THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH THE NEW STANGS. You need to replace the entire inlet tube. Our stock inlet has a seriously restrictive carbon fiber filament in it. Simply putting a cone on it will get you a very small gain if any. It will mostly be for sound. C&L and JLT seem to get the best reviews. K&N is always a good choice too. Just make sure to replace the restrictive inlet tube with an aftermarket tube as well as the filter. Then get a nice tune. I was embarrased when I went to the dyno with some friends and I pulled stock numbers with a cold air cone on my car and others with the stock air box. I'm going with C&L next payday.

Quick Reply: Best CAI with tunner package for GT?