Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI + tune and why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 04:05 PM
airbillster
1st Gear Member

Default CAI + tune and why?

I'm researching cold air intakes. I've seen some getting up to 30rwhp gains without a tune and some need a tune. help, I don't understand! why spend 600+ when I get the same for 2 to 300.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:09 PM
airbillster
1st Gear Member

Default RE: CAI + tune and why?

Anybody?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:48 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

The tuners I have seen cost about $380 and come with the tunes. 15hp maybe with CAI.

You will not see 30hp with a CAI alone. You will with CAI and tune. I'm talking RWHP.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:48 PM
*bmxking*
1st Gear Member

most say they dont need to be tuned but as i found out i bought a mmr cai and they said it needed no tuning but when i put it on the dyno it ran lean.. it is a good thing i had bought a tuner so they could get it to run right....
Old 04-25-2006, 09:55 PM
airbillster
1st Gear Member

this one's braggin 30 RWHP , no tune
http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...eIndexID=52845

this one's 19 no tune
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem

and the guy at blue oval says this one will get 20+ with no tune
http://blueovalindustries.com/produc...parent=9902160

are they all full of it and tell me if I'm wrong but a tuner would add 5-7 more horses?

still confused
Old 04-25-2006, 09:57 PM
airbillster
1st Gear Member

and wouldn't disconecting the battery reset the computer to relearn the new airflow?
Old 04-25-2006, 10:01 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

No, you can not unhook the battery and get it to fix the air to fuel. The computer on the new mustang is set so that you have to tune when you change the air to fuel. You will not see the gains without a tune, I don't care what they advertise. My car went 25% lean with my intake and no tune. You WILL hurt your car without a tune.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:09 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

It gets real involved, but to make it short, you are dealing with a CAI that is introducing more air. It is true that to some degree the Spanish Oak will compensate when in closed loop, but there is a limit to its ability to do so. Under WOT, the system goes into open loop and depends on preset fuel maps programmed into the computer tune. This is where a serious lean condition can occur. As far as a CAI not requiring a tune, I disagree entirely.

More power with a tune? By far. You are remapping the fuel curves, the global timing and timing in two rpm ranges. A canned tune makes good power. A dynotune makes gobs of power. I gained an extra 25+ rhp over my canned 93 tune with the dynotune.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:14 PM
JPS51830

They all boast about how much they gain. I originally had an aFe Stage II (which I put on and had no issues with it throwing any lights), underdrive pulleys and JBA shorty headers and got 278 rwhp and 290 rwtq with a tune. I also ran that set up for about 4 months with a predator canned tune just specific to the 05's before it was dyno tuned and on the first pull the A/F was right on the money. Had I known any better though I would have dyno tuned the car immediately, just to big a risk to take with having the car leaning out and blowing or severly damaging the engine. Getting it dyno tuned was only $165, and well worth it.

I have since went to a Vortech, 3.73 gears (my car is an AOD) and am having the final tune done tomorrow. I was pretty happy with what I originally had, but got a good deal on the Vortech and gears and couldn't pass it up. If you're that confused about what to do, which I can totally understand because I was, go to a shop that deals with Mustangs or at least performance cars and talk with them and see what they say and recommend.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:18 PM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

I recently bought the C&L Trueflow CAI with a Diablosport Predator tuner. I had a problem with the custome C&L tune they sent me but i contacted C&L and they fixed me right up! I had just the CAI installed for a few days before the tune was fixed and my car was sluggish without the tune. Not to mention I was getting OBDII codes that were telling me it was running lean. I installed the fixed tune tonight and i'm really happy with the results. I can really tell a difference.

Get the CAI and the tuner. Your car will suffer without the tune. I would say go with either the C&L Trueflow or the JLT. Those seem to be the two best right now.

Quick Reply: CAI + tune and why?