Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How to get to 12's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 02:10 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: How to get to 12's?

Read my sig, it is the recipe for 12s. Seriously though that is what it took me to get to 12s on the stock 235 street tires.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:16 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

damn you 757 you just widened the gap for me. Thats ok, i put on my offroad x pipe today, Hopefully i will get 12.9, I think i should, last night i ran 13.036 without it.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:26 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

geez guys now i think there is something wrong with my car. 757 ran 12.80's with stock tires and stock converter...i've only run 12.62 with bogarts and a TCI converter. time to go back to the dyno somethings wrong.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:45 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

Gee NHRA rules dictate a Roots style blower, but that is apples to oranges we are talking street cars not 4 sec top fuelers.

I can't give exact numbers yet out of respect for PowerHouse while they finalize the kit, but I will say it easily exceeds what you would see out of any supercharger at similar boost numbers on an otherwise stock car (including mufflers).

I'm sorry but I have better things to do than argue with people that won't listen because they think turbos are only for imports and they don't know the first thing about forced induction. I know of at least one individual that is ditching his Procharger in favor of a turbo on an '05.

Show me one other S197 that has run 10.60's at 131mph on a stock block, trans, clutch etc in a full weight car. PowerHouse has over 100 passes at this power level in their car.
I agree with you totally. Before I knew squat about forced induction I only liked s/c's because they were all I ever heard of, but after learning much more about forced induction I see that turbo's are not just for imports.

There is someone who has a twin-turbo Ford GT now, and i'm sure if he could have got the same results from a s/c he would have gotten that. The fact is though that tubo's are more efficient because they use "wasted" energy from the exhaust for their power. On the other hand, a turbocharger causes some amount of back pressure in the exhaust system and tends to provide less boost until the engine is running at higher RPMs. Superchargers are easier to install but tend to be more expensive. Turbos are also known for their unique ability to spin to incredibly high rpms and make outrages peak boost figures (25psi+). While operating a turbocharger at very high levels of boost requires major modifications to the rest of the engine, the turbo is capable of producing more peak power than superchargers. Turbo's will also give you the most usable horsepower between 2500 and 5000 rpm. In an acceleration contest, the tubo will beat any type of s/c because massive midrange torque production.

When comparing supercharging and turbocharging systems and weighing out your options on what to buy to make your high-performance street machine faster, you must take into account the efficiency, reliability, versatility, and cost of your options. If you choose to do so, you will undoubtedly see the overwhelming superiority of turbocharging to supercharging. Time and time again(I've seen it personally), turbocharged cars have given out beatings to supercharged cars, and until the majority of racers start seeing through the "facade"(used a dictionary for that one lol) created by supercharger companies to cover up their shortcomings.

With having a turbo also means more up-keep. Because turbo's run at such high temperatures it also makes the forced air warnmer which is exactly what you don't want happening, but an intercooler will solve that problem. Turbo's also feed on fresh oil constantly, so oils with high ratings must be used in the vehicle. You also have to warm up the turbo's before agressive driving, and they have to cool down at idle for about 2-3 minues after driving hard.

Some people see "turbo lag" as a bad thing, but when you are launching your car from a dead stop, the lag will give the car time to get the traction it needs, then when the boost kicks in it will launch, whereas s/c's are more likely to spin the tires, which in effect is why turbo's are so good at launching.

With that being said supercharger's are probably the best and easiest way to get good hp, but if your looking for high hp#'s, the single and twin-turbo set-up's will beat any s/c application.

I hope this information is correct, and I hope I changed some of your minds.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:02 AM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

It is confirmed tonight i ran 12.89@106 if only i had some better tires, i could get my 60ft under 1.94. Then i wonder what i would run. I guess that offroad X helped take off .2
Old 04-30-2006, 01:31 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mustangman2424
On the other hand, a turbocharger causes some amount of back pressure in the exhaust system and tends to provide less boost until the engine is running at higher RPMs. Superchargers are easier to install but tend to be more expensive. Turbos are also known for their unique ability to spin to incredibly high rpms and make outrages peak boost figures (25psi+). While operating a turbocharger at very high levels of boost requires major modifications to the rest of the engine, the turbo is capable of producing more peak power than superchargers. Turbo's will also give you the most usable horsepower between 2500 and 5000 rpm. In an acceleration contest, the tubo will beat any type of s/c because massive midrange torque production.
A properly sized turbo can make full boost at low RPM's just like a twin screw or roots supercharger, but a turbo also has the unique ability to make boost at even lower RPM's. Because turbos are dependent on load, at cruising speeds if you floor the car without changing gears, I have seen boost as low as 1500 RPM's, show me any supercharger that can do that. Also, as soon as you back out of the throttle the turbo will quit making boost where a supercharger will continue to make boost until the RPM's come down. Turbos really aren't more expensive when you really break things down, I promise the average person with a Saleen supercharger making ~450rwhp has spent more than I did. A Kenne Bell or Whipple is just as much if not a little more for the same power level. You really can't compare a centrifugal supercharger to a turbo as the turbo makes so much more torque and full boost at low RPM's instead of only at 6k+ RPM's. Also, turbo kits tend to be more complete, they will include a down pipe to replace the factory H-Pipe. That's one less exhuast item I have to buy.

When comparing supercharging and turbocharging systems and weighing out your options on what to buy to make your high-performance street machine faster, you must take into account the efficiency, reliability, versatility, and cost of your options. If you choose to do so, you will undoubtedly see the overwhelming superiority of turbocharging to supercharging. Time and time again(I've seen it personally), turbocharged cars have given out beatings to supercharged cars, and until the majority of racers start seeing through the "facade"(used a dictionary for that one lol) created by supercharger companies to cover up their shortcomings.

With having a turbo also means more up-keep. Because turbo's run at such high temperatures it also makes the forced air warnmer which is exactly what you don't want happening, but an intercooler will solve that problem. Turbo's also feed on fresh oil constantly, so oils with high ratings must be used in the vehicle. You also have to warm up the turbo's before agressive driving, and they have to cool down at idle for about 2-3 minues after driving hard.
Turbos don't require any more upkeep it's just a little different upkeep. With superchargers you have to worry about throwing belts, they too constantly have engine oil pumping through them or they have their own oil supply you need to change. Any quality motor oil is fine in a turbo, I only use synthetics. You should warm up any motor before agressive driving, it has to do with getting the oil to temp and also with getting the computer to switch to the proper load tables. I wouldn't shut down any motor after a lot of hard driving without a little cool down time. Try finding a shop to rebuild your supercharger without sending it back to the manufacturer, you can almost always find at least one shop (if not more) to rebuild turbos in medium size or larger towns.

Some people see "turbo lag" as a bad thing, but when you are launching your car from a dead stop, the lag will give the car time to get the traction it needs, then when the boost kicks in it will launch, whereas s/c's are more likely to spin the tires, which in effect is why turbo's are so good at launching.

With that being said supercharger's are probably the best and easiest way to get good hp, but if your looking for high hp#'s, the single and twin-turbo set-up's will beat any s/c application.
Again turbo lag is more of a myth with current turbo systems, the primary place you will see turbo lag is on race only systems or on imports with larger turbos than they need. I don't have any turbo lag in my car. I agree that turbos are one of the easiest ways to make excellent power.

Old 04-30-2006, 02:09 AM
allfyre
3rd Gear Member

I'd really like to see someone fit the GT with both (SC & turbo). It would probably be a complicated set-up, prone to failure but I'm sure it could be done.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:51 AM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

LOL were you agreeing or disagreeing with what I said 1QuickShortBus?

I meant to say supercharger's are probably the best and easiest way to get good hp because they are easiest to install and they don't require welding or anything, but if you are experienced with welding and such, or you have extra $ to have a shop install the turbo, then either one is a great choice. I also said that the turbo's ARE cheaper than a s/c.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:10 AM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

Here is a cool informative article that I found. Turbo vs. Supercharger
Old 04-30-2006, 03:25 AM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ren274u

It is confirmed tonight i ran 12.89@106 if only i had some better tires, i could get my 60ft under 1.94. Then i wonder what i would run. I guess that offroad X helped take off .2
You almost ran what I did but I ran .07 seconds faster and I trapped 1.5 mph higher. JK man, great run, congrats! Feels good to be in the 12s doesn't it. We autos run things.