Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Zex kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 12:10 AM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Zex kit questions

Well, I've got my new nitrous kit sitting next to me. I've been going through the parts all day. The kit, in total, cost me about $780. I think thats worth it for a 100 HP gain (i'm thinking of running a 100 or 125 shot).

On these vehicles you must realize there is no way to hold two tunes and switch on the fly you must turn the vehicle off load the nitrous tune into the vehicle and then go back and reinstall the NA tune when not spraying. The car will feel and be down on power when the nitrous tune is installed and you are not spraying it as there will be less timing in the tune for safety reasons. Since there is no way to instantly change the tune we have to just live with this on the 05-06 mustang. Unfortunatly there is no active timing retard available for them and there for the tune has to be switched. This is not a problem though if you are at the track and you know your going to be spraying it the next pass you just switch the tunes. However you will not be able to just spray it at any given time when driving around unless you have the nitrous tune installed in the computer via the hand held controller.

I'm going to see if we can tune somewhere in the middle, where I can use nitrous but I don't have to (not alot of a power gain)

~Fred
Old 05-02-2006, 12:42 AM
MHShockey30
2nd Gear Member

Yup that is correct. I just load the nitrous tune before I make a run at the track. And yes when the nitrous tune is loaded and you dont run nitrous the car runs real slow. I forgot to swith the nitrous on and the car ran almost a whole second slower than the 93 octane tune.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:56 AM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Well, on the road, a whole second slower is ok, as long as I can use nitrous. I think i should be able to work out a tune where I run a little slower then the 93 octane, but its still safe to use nitrous. We'll see...

~Fred
Old 05-02-2006, 01:08 AM
MHShockey30
2nd Gear Member

Ya that second difference seems huge on the track but the streets wouldnt be bad. It will be interesting to see what you can come up with.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:48 AM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

I'll keep ya'll updated. Most likely will be taking it on Sat to the shop to work on it.

~Fred
Old 05-02-2006, 02:15 AM
dave186

from what i have gathered, it looks like i need the fuel rail adapter and a TPS switch to put my compucar kit on the 06. thats what the compucar dudes say anyway. i was spraying a 90 shot in my gen1 but i think i will go back to a 50 in this thing for the sake of the tires
Old 05-02-2006, 02:21 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

Man, I hate to lose the dynotune. It is awesome. Guess I may have to head another direction[:-]
an SCT handheld can store more than one tune...i suggest getting another tune for 100shot, and only putting it in when you get to the track. not having nitrous on the street would eliminate a HUGE temptation that would likely end in either tickets or a damaged motor over time.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:15 AM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

The whole point though is to be able to take on that pesky vette on the highway.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:34 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The ZEX kit seems pretty neat, although there's nothing really special about it. All of the "safety" stuff that ZEX is hyping is nothing new. It has been standard practice for as long as I can remember to install a fuel pressure safety switch and a full-throttle switch along with your Nitrous kit, that way if there's a problem the nitrous shuts off.

You could buy (or piece together yourself) a kit from NOS, Nitrous Express, or whomever else to suit your needs.

Personally, I think the really trick setup would be to get the charge-motion plate delete kit from Steeda that is tapped for nitrous nozzles, then put together a custom kit that way: direct port injection. Of course, this would not be cheap!
Old 05-02-2006, 04:23 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Check out DynotuneNitrous.com

My kit cost me a total of $780, and it has...
10lb bottle with high flow valve
Bottle brackets and hardware
16 foot braided stainless feed line
High Flow Nitrous and Fuel solenoids
2 foot Braided stainless Nitrous and Fuel feed lines
Jets for 75, 100 and 150HP
High flow Wet Nozzle "Chrome"
Wet Nozzle Mounting adaptor so the Nozzle does not blow out during injection causing a fire
Lighted arming switch, relay, wire and wire harness, fuse, crimp terminals etc..
Dual Outlet Purge (I opted to go with the "Master Blaster")
FPSS
RPM Activation switch with built in TPS
Automatic bottle heater and pressure guage
Very detailed install book

The same kit from zex would cost over $1,000!

I'm taking it to the shop today to have my mechanic look at it and quote me on everything

~Fred

Quick Reply: Zex kit questions