Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2006 Mustang GT wont break traction.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 01:16 AM
86ragtopman

Default RE: 2006 Mustang GT wont break traction.

Chirped 2nd gear last Friday with stock '05 vert manual trans, carrying two passengers! Needless to say they were impressed. No where to go but up from here!
Old 05-24-2006, 01:58 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Okay, this is the part where all of you make fun of me with my stupid questions but yes, I'm a newbie to a stick, my Camaro was auto, i know i know.....

Anyways, what is considered bad as far as the clutch goes, I mean nothing gets ruined when you just shift and quickly let the clutch all they way out, or is there some science to this, I can spin my tires too but i'm not sure how to get a chirp or to shift real fast....sorry for the incompetance, but any reply would be helpful.[&o]
Old 05-24-2006, 05:13 AM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

When i shift really fast lets just say my right foot never leaves the floorboard.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:04 PM
fullspect951

wow i had to skip through alot of that so i dont know if anyone has told you this yet. i have a problem with the same thing and im a stick. my lonjg time mustang friend told me that stock these cars have a torque management system(im not talking about tcs) which manages the trque so you will find it harder to break traction. however if you get a decent flash done you can also request them to remove the torque managment system and speed control. your better of getting a hand held progrmer though so you can set everything back to factory settings if you have a problem.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:16 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

IMHO, you'd better be good at shifting fast and not push the clutch all the way down if you are going to throttle through a shift at redline. That being said I was heading home yesterday when some a-hole decided green lights weren't permission to go at a non-green arrow traffic light, so after repeated honking and sitting through another red, I decided to romp through first and shift rather quickly to second without letting off the throttle much. I spun the wheels halfway to third gear. Did I mention this was with TCS on? Just be careful you don't blow your motor by going over the red all the time, practice at 5k rpms or something.

Backinblack, in shifting 101 we learn that the higher your rpms are, the smoother your clutch will handle the shift with some gas since everything is spinning pretty quick. That being said, you don't have to be stressing as much about throttling providing you throw it in gear quickly. The only time your clutch really takes a beating is if you are using the clutch and gas at the same time for too long. This builds friction, friction makes heat, heat burns your clutch. If you keep your shifts shorter, you shouldn't have any problems
Old 05-24-2006, 04:21 PM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

Usually shift around 5000.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:31 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: FuriousGeorge

IMHO, you'd better be good at shifting fast and not push the clutch all the way down if you are going to throttle through a shift at redline. That being said I was heading home yesterday when some a-hole decided green lights weren't permission to go at a non-green arrow traffic light, so after repeated honking and sitting through another red, I decided to romp through first and shift rather quickly to second without letting off the throttle much. I spun the wheels halfway to third gear. Did I mention this was with TCS on? Just be careful you don't blow your motor by going over the red all the time, practice at 5k rpms or something.

Backinblack, in shifting 101 we learn that the higher your rpms are, the smoother your clutch will handle the shift with some gas since everything is spinning pretty quick. That being said, you don't have to be stressing as much about throttling providing you throw it in gear quickly. The only time your clutch really takes a beating is if you are using the clutch and gas at the same time for too long. This builds friction, friction makes heat, heat burns your clutch. If you keep your shifts shorter, you shouldn't have any problems
you won't likely blow your motor unless you have the stock rev limiter adjusted by a tune. I hit it all the time........got to get me on of them big *** 6" tachs and mount it on the dash

I'm not surprised that the autos have difficulty spinning the tires from low RPM. These are OHC engines. They don't make huge torque down low like the pushrod engines do. It's just the nature of the beast but on the bright side we do get a 6,000+ RPM redline.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:35 PM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

i thought with the variable timing they made huge torque down low??
Old 05-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FuriousGeorge

Being my first rear wheel drive car and also being a stick, I can't keep the backend from swinging a bit when I shift into second in a U-Turn. I get the tires to break loose shifting into second on straight aways even without throttling through the clutch or flooring it. God this car is sweet...
Welcome to the world of rear wheel drive! Fun, isn't it?

I've never owned a car other than rear wheel drive, or anything less than 6 cylinders.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

you guys are going to 5 rpm at standstill to perform a burn?

Quick Reply: 2006 Mustang GT wont break traction.