Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Stone chips, how to prevent

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 07:09 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default Stone chips, how to prevent

Hi guys, I just picked up my vista blue 06 GT last week and I am a bit worried about stone chips. It is one of two daily drivers I use so I was planning on doing something to prevent them.

A few days a week she is on the highway doing 65-70mph for 20 minutes at a clip each way and unfortunantly we dont have the cleanest roads here in NJ and stones do fly up regardless of how defensive you drive and what lane you are in it seems.

I just noticed she just got her first tiny chip about 8" back from the lip of the hood. Sucks man!

SO whats the answer? I have used the black vinyl nose bras on some past cars in the summer modestly well in warm weather. But grit builds under them and they have to come off if it gets wet. Forget about the winter! So they generally work only for long trips like vacations where the car is going to be on the highway for 3 hours. Then when you get there, it comes off and goes in the trunk.

So what is everyone that is on the highway alot doing to prevent the chipping on the mustangs? What about the clear bras out there?? Are they really safe for the paint? Do they show very badly?

Thanks,
Nick

Old 05-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Stone chips, how to prevent

Join the crowd. My hood is covered in them. The only way to avoid it is getting a bra. Or you could try and get a couple coats of clearcoat to protect the paint... but I don't know how that would do.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:24 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I swear the clear new cars are using is such crap. How high up do the chips generally hit? Will a nose bra work or do stones tend to hit high on the hood on these??
Old 05-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I only have chips on the very front of the hood. Not high, just at that little bend. Though there are little indents from the rocks in the front fascia as well.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:57 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Ya, and then just wait until the windshield chips start.....5 and counting....[:@][:@]

Mike
Old 05-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

No! I hope I'll never see that day...
Old 05-04-2006, 09:04 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

There is nothing more frustrating than finishing off that fresh wash / detail job with some Stoners Glass Cleaner (no pun intended) only to have your eye constantly drawn to those nice little stone chips in the windshield. It's all you can see when it's nice and clean!!

I hope you never see that day as well.....

Mike

Old 05-04-2006, 09:22 PM
marguerite66
4th Gear Member

I wish there was a way to prevent them but unfortunately they're going to happen. [] One thing I try to do is keep my distance from other cars on the highway (whenever possible, I know Jersey is crazy driving). In New York we have pretty bad roads also. I go slow and keep my distance in construction zones. We had a 3 year construction on the interstate I take to work and my 2000 Mustang had the most chips during that time than the entire time I owned it. Stay away from contruction vehicles, be careful anytime they tear up something (even sewer covers) because there's always rocks.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Yeah, it seems more chips are developing... and it's not like I can do much to prevent it... Other then driving 10 miles behind another car. (Sarcasm obviously.) Anyway, I figure I want to get a new hood/front fascia eventually... So that really isn't a problem.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

how to prevent stone chips:
a) dont drive close behind trucks or bikes
b) dont drive on shltty roads
.....b-2)dont drive close behind trucks and bikes on shltty roads if you do
c) dont throw stones at the front of your car

follow my simple 3 step guide and you will have no, or very very few stone chips

Quick Reply: Stone chips, how to prevent