Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

insurance question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 10:30 PM
skycow

Default insurance question...

ive ben reading posts on this forum for a while and finaly decided to make my first post, well anyway ive ben looking into buyin an 06 GT for some time now since i finaly have a job good enough to afford one but im prety sure im gona be paying alot for insurance since im 19 almost 20 and i curently have 2 accidents on my record. but the good news is this july when i do turn 20 one of them comes off and then in december the last one comes off, and since i pay my insurance in 6 month periods im only gona buy one when my acidents do come off so im not paying for an accident for 6 months when it will come off say 2 months later... anyway to the point i have talked to my insurance agent and several others and have also gone to geico's and progressives' websites, my quotes, always includes maximum liability coverage.. colision and bodily injury.... and my curent car a 98 corolla with just the liability and then the mustang gt with full coverage/collision... well i have goten 6 month quotes anywhere from 1,200 to 3,000. and the odd part is some of the quotes i was given put the insurance symbol of the gt at a 12 which is realy cheap being the higher the number the more expensive... and just to note i had a cavalier with a 17 symbol. so given what ive said what do yall think i should actualy be paying o and by the way all these quotes are with 1 accident still on my record as in after july. another note right now im paying 900 every 6 months for maximum liability collison and bodily injury on my 98 corolla and as an ocasional driver with full coverage on a 04 corrola 01 tdi bettle and 01 gmc sierra.... ??? could i get my insurance cheaper if i just tell them its to be ocassionaly driven... which it will since id rather drive my beater to work to save gas and save miles on the gt....

sorry for rambling on so long... thanks in advance

just be prepared for more rambling from me in the future
Old 05-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: insurance question...

What do you mean by "occasional driver"? Do you have other vehicles you drive?

I have my Mustang fully covered and have a multi-vehicle discount. I have my '93 T-bird as my primary vehicle and when I sell that I'm putting my '04 F150 as my primary, so the Mustang will stay the same.

I'm paying $408 every six months for insurance on the Mustang, but I'm not as young as you and have no accidents on record, so you would be paying more than what I am. But $1200-$3000 does seem a little on the high side.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:13 PM
skycow

when u have more than 1 person on an insurance policy each person usualy has a primary vehicle and then you can make the other persons vehicle ur ocasional... so ur still insured on it but ur only paying the price for urs and just a tad more.... like say my dad owned the mustand and i had the corolla... he would be the primary on the mustang but i could drive it fully insured next to nothing... compared to what i would pay if i was the primary.. but since its gona be in my name thats kinda out of the option i was just thinking i could get it cheaper if they would believe that i wouldn't drive it that much, im thinking leisure insurance?.... i think ive herad of something like that just not sure ... mabey it was the truth or sumone just bsing

basicly i know that no matter what im gona be payin a good amount, im just trying to figure out an approximate so i can determine when the best time to buy is and how much ill be able to spend as in how long to make the payment and what kinda down payment to make
Old 05-11-2006, 11:15 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Can you put the car/insurance in your parents name? Welcome to the forums...
Old 05-11-2006, 11:25 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Due to your age you are going to pay a lot for insurance for this car it is that simply. Also you really cannot ask what everyone else pays because there are way to many variables to get an accurate figure. Things like location, years driving, amount of coverage and many other things all play a part.
I have an 18 year old son and he is on my 89 Honda with minumum coverage and he pays like 1200 every 6 months just for that. But i alos have over 1/2 Million worth of coverage. I am certain if I had the standard 100k that most policies require it would be less.

Richard
Old 05-11-2006, 11:30 PM
skycow

ORIGINAL: randy78045

Can you put the car/insurance in your parents name? Welcome to the forums...

we did that with the cavalier i drove and since the 2 accidents were in that they have prety much wised up to it... my curent insurance agent wont alow it cause of the liability to him loosing his job... i guess agents trade notes.... or its just in the system... and by the way no one get woried that i am or was a bad or immature driver it was just inexperience cause both of the accidents were weather related so ive got somewhat of an excuse.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:40 PM
skycow

well i guess a better question would be to ask is how close were yall quoted on ur insurance policy to what u actualy paid for it

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

Due to your age you are going to pay a lot for insurance for this car it is that simply. Also you really cannot ask what everyone else pays because there are way to many variables to get an accurate figure. Things like location, years driving, amount of coverage and many other things all play a part.
I have an 18 year old son and he is on my 89 Honda with minumum coverage and he pays like 1200 every 6 months just for that. But i alos have over 1/2 Million worth of coverage. I am certain if I had the standard 100k that most policies require it would be less.

Richard
ive never doubted that i was gona pay alot... my agent said i could get it a bit cheaper if i lowered the liability coverage i was wanting it as low as 40k but my mom wont allow it because im still living with her and she doesent want sumone trying to sue her if for some reason i hurt sumone and the medical bills are outrageous
Old 05-11-2006, 11:59 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Any time I have gotten a quote it has been pretty dead on as to what i ended up paying.

ORIGINAL: skycow

well i guess a better question would be to ask is how close were yall quoted on ur insurance policy to what u actualy paid for it

Richard
ive never doubted that i was gona pay alot... my agent said i could get it a bit cheaper if i lowered the liability coverage i was wanting it as low as 40k but my mom wont allow it because im still living with her and she doesent want sumone trying to sue her if for some reason i hurt sumone and the medical bills are outrageous
Old 05-12-2006, 12:07 AM
skycow

Any time I have gotten a quote it has been pretty dead on as to what i ended up paying.

hmm well i sure wouldnt mind paying the 1,200 i was quoted... but then again mabey im getting quoted low because they figure if they give me a low rate ill go out and buy the car then when they tell me its gona be 2x as much i wont have a choice since i already got the car.... well i hope i do get an accurate quote soon so i can get planning on when im gona buy me a mustang...
Old 05-12-2006, 02:59 AM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

I have nationwide. Good coverage and pretty cheap. Like previously stated though, because of your age you are going to pay a lot more. Especially with accidents on your record. You will be considered high risk. At you're age to save some money you can keep your deductables high ($500-$1000.) Also lower your coverage but not too low just in case. Unfortunately for us males we don't see a significant drop in insurance until we're about 25. We've all been through it so if you've got the money then suck it up and go for it! You'll forget all about it when you're driving that stang! Just shop around for the best price. Just make sure you get a good agent that's willing to help you and not there just to take your money and raise your rates all the time.

Quick Reply: insurance question...