Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

insurance question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:37 AM
arrestmered

Default RE: insurance question...

Your age and the accidents or offences will kill ya. But make sure you let Ins companies kno about every safety option u have on the Gt and others and most Ins agencies do give multi car discounts too. Try your families agency too to add the multi car discounts up. Our stang, tho we are older and have no infractions, with full coverage, and 500,000 liabaility coverage thru Geico, r only paying 1000.00 a year. Some Insurance companies may also hold your infractions against you longer, Im not sure. I kno the antitheft features and dual airbags brought us down a lot from our original quote. Hope this helps!
Old 05-12-2006, 08:46 AM
joey05

good luck
Old 05-12-2006, 09:02 AM
skycow

ORIGINAL: shockme76

I have nationwide. Good coverage and pretty cheap. Like previously stated though, because of your age you are going to pay a lot more. Especially with accidents on your record. You will be considered high risk. At you're age to save some money you can keep your deductables high ($500-$1000.) Also lower your coverage but not too low just in case. Unfortunately for us males we don't see a significant drop in insurance until we're about 25. We've all been through it so if you've got the money then suck it up and go for it! You'll forget all about it when you're driving that stang! Just shop around for the best price. Just make sure you get a good agent that's willing to help you and not there just to take your money and raise your rates all the time.
thats good to know a higher deductible helps lower it fiarly good... i only hope my credit union will allow a 500 or 1000.

ORIGINAL: arrestmered

Your age and the accidents or offences will kill ya. But make sure you let Ins companies kno about every safety option u have on the Gt and others and most Ins agencies do give multi car discounts too. Try your families agency too to add the multi car discounts up. Our stang, tho we are older and have no infractions, with full coverage, and 500,000 liabaility coverage thru Geico, r only paying 1000.00 a year. Some Insurance companies may also hold your infractions against you longer, Im not sure. I kno the antitheft features and dual airbags brought us down a lot from our original quote. Hope this helps!
i was planning on the antitheft and airbags... u also mean the side ones to right? ill deffineltly let them know when the time comes...

thanks for the help and info eveyone, hopefuly i can return the favor on some other topic with my insight.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:14 AM
marguerite66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skycow

could i get my insurance cheaper if i just tell them its to be ocassionaly driven... which it will since id rather drive my beater to work to save gas and save miles on the gt....
Its possible, it probably depends on the insurance company. I have State Farm and I do pay less for my Mustang because I have my winter car as my primary vehicle on the policy and the Mustang is considered 'recreational' (I'm not sure what the real term is). In other words, they can't charge you for double mileage when you're only driving one or the other. They also offer a discount for taking the defensive driving course every 3 years. Not sure if you've done that. They may also offer a 'multi-vehicle' discount. Also, make sure you give them all the safety/anti-theft features you have. I'm guessing by your age that you probably don't own a home but if you have homeowners or renters insurance through the same company, they may also offer you a 'mult-line' discount. I've even heard of discounts for good grades but I think every company is different so you're smart for shopping around. They may not offer the discount information unless you ask so its good to ask them what discounts they offer. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:08 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: arrestmered

That is right about what we pay as well for that kind of coverage.

Richard
Old 05-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

Two VERY IMPORTANT words for you: (take notes)

***GAP COVERAGE***

I have a totalled car on my insurance record and the gap coverage saved my tail. Paid off what my insurance wouldn't cover plus put $1000 down on my next vehicle. I had zero dollars come out of my pockets in the whole incident. Gap covered my deductible as well.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

from an underwriter who was kinda enough to throw some advice to you..... "go get quoted when the accidents are off your record. there's also a premium cut at 21 yrs old, so that will help. if you haven't taken a DEFENSIVE driving course, look into one. they aren't long, but they can drop your coverage as much as 20%, and thats just the weekend course. its better to be put on your parents insurance, for obvious reasons, but still have YOU rated as the primary driver. 99% of the time, that works for the cheapest, and if something ever did happen and you were the primary driver, the liability your parents are accountable for is terrible. seen it before. check out bigger named companies that have offices in a large number of metro areas. state farm, american family, etc. be weary about geico and progressive, unless you can get a rep to come talk to you. they can quote you what they want without ever showing you the underwriters score, or you seeing the variables. for a 21 yr old, no accidents on record, look at 179-245 a month. married? cause that would help... but probably not. the benefits of being an older wheelman is ridiculous. betcha cant wait."
there ya go, from the mouth of dan.
say thanks to dan. bye dan.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

thats my buddy dan. he does all my insurance. home, car, life, you name it, he can get you the right quote. dont feel bad to pay a higher deductible, 1k or more, just to keep the cost down. but make sure you can scratch the cash together. it really makes a big difference on your rates if you offer more money up front, then they believe you're going to be a safer driver cause its your bank.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:05 PM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

wow 20 and 2 accidents already. sorry I glazed over on the rest of this post, but good luck. I'd stick with the 98 Toyota, and save your money and buy a house. Maybe over 25 and married will bring your rates down.