Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BRAKES!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 04:01 AM
WildRed
2nd Gear Member

Default BRAKES!

my next mod will be a brake upgrade. im not wanting to go larger, just replace rotors and pads. im wandering if anyone has
powerslot, dba, stoptech, or baer rotors and hawk or ebc pads (red or green). which do they like, how do they perform. or any other combo they wish to share info about. the reason i dont want to go with a big brake kit is i have to put my 17in stock wheels and tires back on for winter. any info would be great.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:28 AM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: BRAKES!

Just upgrade the pads until your rotors are worn out. Unless you are racing every weekend it would not be cost effective to change the rotors given the marginal performance increase under street conditions.

With that said... Hawk HPS are fantastic street/light race pads. EBC Green are fine if you can't find the Hawks. Hawk HP+ or EBC Red would work if you don't mind scary braking first thing in the morning, or ginding and squealing noises, but really want to dive into corners (once warm).
Old 05-14-2006, 12:46 AM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

I agree with grasshopper ... skip the rotor change until you need it.

Agree on the pads too...the HPS have held up better than the EBC greens but then I've only tried the green's for a short time; I'll probably cycle another set of greens and reds in the fall.

The reds did grind but really did not squeel that much on me, but definately not pad I'd run on the street.

I am running the HPS ceramics now...they have been pretty good and though they don't dust like the EBC's they are dusting more than I had heard they would and I've not been braking that hard...first time I've tried a ceramic pad so we'll see.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:15 AM
WildRed
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the replys, they have been helpful! i thought the reds might be harsh for daily driving but needed to be sure. thanks
Old 05-14-2006, 11:50 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Most rotor upgrades aren't going to do anything for you, unless you do a REAL brake swap to larger diameter rotors. Stuff like "power slot rotors" are basically a gimmick.

Either do what you're doing and stick with some well-known performance pads, or if that's not enough step up to some oversized rotors and calipers, like the Wilwoods or Baer. Increased rotor diameter is where the real braking power and fade resistance is going to come from.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:20 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

The only inprovment you iwll see with the stock rotors and calipers is with better pads. And that makes a big difference on most cars, not sure about mustang. But the difference isnt like night and day on the street. Mostly noticible if you are tracking the car.

Bigger rotors are the way to go. If I ever do it the GT-500 front setup is probably the most ideal as the back remains the same.

But I hear you about the snow tires and 17" rims. My car came with 18"s. I was going to buy a set of 17" bullits with snows for the winter.

But another thought was getting 18's for the winter as well. They make the tires. But 18s are less than ideal for winter traction in deep snow. But then again, most BMW's run 18's in the winter with snows. So it is becoming more commonplace.