Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

exhaust pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 03:09 PM
ncspack
1st Gear Member

Default exhaust pipes

Got my new mufflers installed yesterday and it sounds really good. Has the deep sound I wanted, but isn't as loud as expected. I read that Ford designed the stock system exhaust pipes to be quiet when idling and cruising, but gets louder as the throttle is floored. Will the sound get noticeably louder if I change out the pipes?
Old 05-16-2006, 05:19 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust pipes

Correct, Ford now uses "Quiet Steel" in everything.....

NOT... actually Ford moved the mufflers to the back of the car, this changed how they had to tune the exhaust for the "Mustang" sound. You can thank the muffler design for that, some drone, some drone less and the stockers are pretty decent in this department. The 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust is a good flowing but has nothng to do with keeping it quiet when cruising unless you consider it's an H pipe, not an X pipe and it has stock cats. The pipe length after the muffler determines a lot of how the system will sound, the new exhaust has very little pipe after the muffler so much of the tuning happens inside. You want it loud all the time, go with a pair of SLP's, if you want it deep and louder than you have it now, go with MAC's, slightly less so go with Borla and Corsa as well but owners of these mufflers will help explain them better.

Also mid pipe determines a lot as does stock or high flow cats... I'll look for an article and post it.... I hope this made some sense, I wrote it very fast.

EDIT, yes changing the pipes can make it louder depending on what type you choose... what mufflers did you get?