Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Disappointing night

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 02:19 AM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Default Disappointing night

Back from the track and too bummed out to sleep. Anyone have a clue what it feels like to have a much faster car and get beat in nearly every race? All my previous post praising the P-zero's need to be removed. I COULD NOT GET THIS CAR TO HOOK TONIGHT!! I sadly spun at every single launch and got embarrased by cars that should have been tight but easy kills. I had considerably higher top speeds on every race (only six runs tonight) The only wins I had were against a modified 94' GT stang and a "sigh" juiced eclipse. I raced the same SRT twice (he was cutting .1's to my .3's) and he won by a .22 and a .15 I had an AWD mitsi 3000 jump me by at least two at the 60ft mark. He ended up winning by .285 I am most upset by the SRT Neon. There was a racing club on hand tonight that ws Rick Hendrick sponsored. The track owners made a lot of fuss about them and they had cars representing a variety of different levels of performance. Some I could not compete with. But two were right up my alley...both ran front slicks. I had both on top speed and if I had another 100ft of track (I run 1/8th) I would have had them both. But my uncontrollable spinning at launch sealed it for them. I guess I have reached the point where the P-zero's can't put down the power I'm making. My best run of the night :
.302 R/T got digital lamps this season so no more .5 being a perfect cut, and yes .3's suck
2.18 60ft I pulled a 1.92 before pullies and custom dyno tune, but I NEVER spun
8.770 @ 83.55mph this was an 8.9sec @ 81mph car last season

That damn SRT got the win with a 8.86 on this same run, he broke the beam .15 ahead of me. I am going to get some type of drag radial. I really think if get the spinning under control at launch, second shift, and third shift I should be able to plant low 8.6's or maybe into 8.5's
Old 05-20-2006, 02:27 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Disappointing night

Yea man, I wouldn't feel too bad about this. The stock P-Zero's can only go so far. I never imaged them being the best option for track running. I personally am not ready to invest in DR's, but I am currently looking for some wider rubber to put on there. Just get you some better tires and get back "on the horse". lol
Old 05-20-2006, 02:43 AM
MrRogers
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

Back from the track and too bummed out to sleep. Anyone have a clue what it feels like to have a much faster car and get beat in nearly every race? All my previous post praising the P-zero's need to be removed. I COULD NOT GET THIS CAR TO HOOK TONIGHT!! I sadly spun at every single launch and got embarrased by cars that should have been tight but easy kills. I had considerably higher top speeds on every race (only six runs tonight) The only wins I had were against a modified 94' GT stang and a "sigh" juiced eclipse. I raced the same SRT twice (he was cutting .1's to my .3's) and he won by a .22 and a .15 I had an AWD mitsi 3000 jump me by at least two at the 60ft mark. He ended up winning by .285 I am most upset by the SRT Neon. There was a racing club on hand tonight that ws Rick Hendrick sponsored. The track owners made a lot of fuss about them and they had cars representing a variety of different levels of performance. Some I could not compete with. But two were right up my alley...both ran front slicks. I had both on top speed and if I had another 100ft of track (I run 1/8th) I would have had them both. But my uncontrollable spinning at launch sealed it for them. I guess I have reached the point where the P-zero's can't put down the power I'm making. My best run of the night :
.302 R/T got digital lamps this season so no more .5 being a perfect cut, and yes .3's suck
2.18 60ft I pulled a 1.92 before pullies and custom dyno tune, but I NEVER spun
8.770 @ 83.55mph this was an 8.9sec @ 81mph car last season

That damn SRT got the win with a 8.86 on this same run, he broke the beam .15 ahead of me. I am going to get some type of drag radial. I really think if get the spinning under control at launch, second shift, and third shift I should be able to plant low 8.6's or maybe into 8.5's
Keep your head up man. You have a great passion for racing I see, which is the main driving factor for track sucess. Sometimes you have to play with the recipe a bit before you get the perfect taste. Just work on your luanches and let the engine take you to the promised land.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:48 AM
Fly
2nd Gear Member

Don't feel bad Ghost, Tonight was my first time out in over 10 years and pretty disappointing too. My first pass was 2.441 60 ft. with a .513 reaction time! I got hammered by a Camaro with a .089 r/t and a 2.12 60ft. He beat me by 8 100ths in the quarter. My 2nd and final pass I somehow got hooked up with the exact same Camaro (large crowd even) and got my revenge. My .015 r/t to his .218 and his 2.147 60ft to my still weak 2.304 60ft. I beat him 13.474 @ 106.37mph to his 13.995 @ 101.13mph. At least I know there's a 12 in my car if I can just get it to hook up. Strange how all the hype I hear about 6.0 GTO's and those riced out Neons and they all consistently ran 14's tonight...
Old 05-20-2006, 06:21 AM
stang9325
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, keep working on the launch. With stock gears and tires and mods in my sig (similar to yours), I have run a best 1/8 of 8.45 @ 84.24 and 1/4 of 13.06 @ 106.84.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:15 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Het Ghost, Personally I swear by the BFG KDW2's (second generation). I am running 245/245/18s. I replaced my toyo proxes that had 11000 miles to try to get a better 60ft. I went from low 2 second 60ft's to a 1.68 at 28 psi with the change. I do have several suspension upgrades as well. I was pulling better 60 ft's than people with D/R's. I went to the track with a friend that has a Cobra that runs high 11's. He was on M/T E/T's and he freaked because I had better launches.

[sm=gears.gif]< They don't do that, that bark and go!
Old 05-20-2006, 12:41 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

Het Ghost, Personally I swear by the BFG KDW2's (second generation). I am running 245/245/18s. I replaced my toyo proxes that had 11000 miles to try to get a better 60ft. I went from low 2 second 60ft's to a 1.68 at 28 psi with the change. I do have several suspension upgrades as well. I was pulling better 60 ft's than people with D/R's. I went to the track with a friend that has a Cobra that runs high 11's. He was on M/T E/T's and he freaked because I had better launches.

I have BMR lower control arms, relocation brackets, and adjustable upper controll arm. Last time I was out I was cutting low 1.9's consistently and a few 1.8's for 60ft. times. But I had not installed my pullies or had the custom dyno tune done. Seems these two things are more than the P-zero's can handle.

Oh, and it was late and dark when I wrote the original post. I was looking at the time slips this morning and that SRT that cut the .1 R/T to my .3 R/T turned a 1.84 60ft. to my 2.233 60ft (spinning) and beat me by .015 I thought it was .15 last night so if I cut a good light and hooked I would have had the SRT by almost a second! But what if's don't count...next time though
Old 05-20-2006, 01:02 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

how are you launching the car? When i run my pzeros i launch around 1500, and cut 1.9-2.0, when put on my buddys 555r's i launch at 2000, Get some new tires, youll be happy. Im kinda mad too, i took my offroad x off and i cant get back in to the 12's im off by .008, to funny, hopefully me bassani x comes any day now so i can try to get a 12.7 with the drag radials on.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:18 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

I have BMR lower control arms, relocation brackets, and adjustable upper controll arm. Last time I was out I was cutting low 1.9's consistently and a few 1.8's for 60ft. times. But I had not installed my pullies or had the custom dyno tune done. Seems these two things are more than the P-zero's can handle.

Oh, and it was late and dark when I wrote the original post. I was looking at the time slips this morning and that SRT that cut the .1 R/T to my .3 R/T turned a 1.84 60ft. to my 2.233 60ft (spinning) and beat me by .015 I thought it was .15 last night so if I cut a good light and hooked I would have had the SRT by almost a second! But what if's don't count...next time though
I did the lower adjustable race bars and panhard bar. Other than those and the tires, the best thing I did to get traction was a steeda adjustable third link and the steeda torque box braces. They made a big difference.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:26 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ren274u

how are you launching the car? When i run my pzeros i launch around 1500, and cut 1.9-2.0, when put on my buddys 555r's i launch at 2000,
I launch off-idle I "was" getting my best launch from flashing the converter, and I was cutting 1.8-1.9 60's. Last night I broke loose at every single launch. It was so bad that I began to try to compensate for spin by launching WAY earlier than i was used to doing. I typically pull pretty good R/T numbers but last night was not the case. I was so loose that on two runs the back end began to come around when it shifted 1>2 I don't know, this was my first outing this season and not getting good launches, and spinning on shifts beat me up pretty bad. I was expecting a lot more after the new tune and pully change. Well, I guess I did get a lot more, more than I could stick to the track.

Quick Reply: Disappointing night