Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

JL Audio, Kicker or Boston Acoustics

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 07:56 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default RE: JL Audio, Kicker or Boston Acoustics

I have a kicker sub in one of my other vehicles and it is very nice. For an 8" it is tight, punchy and loud. It is one of the 5 year old ones when their better line was still round in shape.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:01 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I have had pretty good luck with the alpine type S speakers recently as well. Not the best in the world I am sure. But are very nice.

If I had to do it again I guess I would go with the Bostons.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:14 PM
mvm549
2nd Gear Member

i wanna stick with 2 10" L5's cas they each push out 450 rms 900 rms total, which would be perfect and not cost too much.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:26 PM
EJD05GT
2nd Gear Member

JL all the way.
-E

ORIGINAL: kalel001

When I got my Mustang I didn't get the Shaker sound system so I'm thinking about changing the one I have now for a better one but I'm still not sure how the sub's and the amp would be arrange on the back. I'm thinking about Pioneer Multimedia head unit with JL Audio, Boston Acoustics, or Kicker subs and amps but I can't make up my mind. So if anyone has change their sound system and has one of these please post some pics. And tell what you used and if it was hard to install?
Old 05-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kahunaman2

Just curious- if this set up requires removal of the spare ( as it obviously does) what happens when you get a flat??? I guess you hope that a tow truck is somewhat close.

if you build your subwoofer encloser (which i recommend cuz its 30$ instead of 300 from a shop...just ask for advice at sounddomain forums), make it so its adequate size, but can be lifted out from the trunk. with quick-disconnect sub box terminals, it only adds 1minute of time to changing a spare tire.

06stangGT, solid setup. i love JL. ill be using my 300/4 bridged to some focal 165k2p's in my stang. i was just hinting that dealers will tell you anything to get people to buy stuff. JL XR's are among the best in their price range however, so do not fret at all. my speakers msrp'd at almost a thousand dollars, and they are probably only 10% better (the law of diminishing returns= once you go aftermarket, every 10% increase in performance/quality relates to a doubling of price).
Old 05-22-2006, 10:25 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sleeper05

06stangGT, solid setup. i love JL. ill be using my 300/4 bridged to some focal 165k2p's in my stang. i was just hinting that dealers will tell you anything to get people to buy stuff. JL XR's are among the best in their price range however, so do not fret at all. my speakers msrp'd at almost a thousand dollars, and they are probably only 10% better (the law of diminishing returns= once you go aftermarket, every 10% increase in performance/quality relates to a doubling of price).
thanks among that i have the Avic-n2 dvd navi deck just waitin for my car to get here in the "mail" to be installed. I've had the system sittin in my room for about....5 months now....its soooooo close now!
Old 05-23-2006, 12:37 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I have all JL in my car including XR's front and rear, with a W7 in the trunk - that's right, in a convertible's trunk. My shop sells both boston and JL, but I havn't carried kicker since 2001. In all honesty, I don't think kicker has changed there subs much since we dropped them. We dropped their line b/c the only good thing they really make it the squares, but kicker wanted me to carry their entire line. I couldn't afford to have precious inventory space being taken up by a bunch of amplifiers and speakers that are collecting dust. Nothing against kicker, they just havn't blown my skirt up much lately.

I love my JL setup, but the boston Z6's are awsome sounding. If you have the money go with the Z6's, but you will need alot of power to get the most out of them. Their amps are really great too, but they run about the same price as alpine's amps.

I'm about to seriously look into alpine's new x amplifiers b/c they make great power and fit into the palm of your hand. I'll sell them to a couple of my hood-rich customers who I know will beat the crap out of them and see how they hold up before I try a new technology. I want to mount these new amps under the seats so that when I go to the track, it's easier to pull everything out of the trunk.

As far as your headunit, the AVIC-Z1 or D2 are awsome in these cars, look great too. Looks factory.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:39 AM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

Has anyone replaced the subs in the doors and if so, with what? Or do you use them at all. Just looking for suggestions when i start replacing the factory speakers.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:57 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kalel001

If I went with kicker I would want something like this but I don't know what kind of amp is that.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28022/5ADFA87DA68C4A5295DD53FEFEAB5D40.jpg[/IMG]
kicker kx1200 i think
Old 05-23-2006, 02:00 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

btw: go jl audio you cant go wrong with jl audio amps or subwoofers. They are amazing i have owned them all and i still think if you have the money get the jl's. As for speakers i have used the bostons and the jl's. I think the new line of jl audio is better than boston now.

Quick Reply: JL Audio, Kicker or Boston Acoustics