Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Surprising? run in with the SRT-8

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 04:11 PM
GtStangFGCU

Default Surprising? run in with the SRT-8

Okay people this made my day, make that my week. I am on my way to work on US-41 just minding my business and enjoying life. This gentleman in his mid-late 30's possibly early 40's decides he is going to brighten my day. He is in his car with his gf/wife, who knows...In his silver SRT-8 Charger, normally I would not have messed with the bull because u generally get the horns, but I decided maybe I would have some fun...So we stop at a red light, he glances over at me with the biggest grin and my first thought is okay I should prolly bend over cause this guy is probably going to hand me my ***...The light turns green and we slowly roll into first, all of a sudden I hear his HEMI wind, that thing sounds nasty wow, so I gun it and he gets about a quarter car length and I hold him there from 2nd thru 4th until I back off...That was all I needed, the confidence was through the roof, he pulls up next to me and I tell him he had a nice ride, ask him how much HP hes got "450 stock" so the next light I decide to glance over at him with a grin, same roll dead stop, this time I dont let him get the jump on me and we both gun it simultaneously, and I pull out a quarter car length, hold it thru second, he start pulling slightly in third, but once i hit fourth I gain and he remains at my rear quarter panel, awesome race. I have no clue as to whether he is manual or auto but the way he gunned it seemed as though he was manual, possibly slap stick or something...but it was awesome, never thought id be able to beat one stock....I love my life, and my blue bomber..
Old 05-22-2006, 04:30 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Surprising? run in with the SRT-8

GJ nice kill. Those things are VERY heavy, thats prolly why they need the 450 HP stock.LOL!
Old 05-22-2006, 04:30 PM
stang9325
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I ran against one of the Jeep SRT-8's at the track a couple weeks ago. Wow, did he surprise me. I think his best run of the day was a 13.3
Old 05-22-2006, 06:39 PM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

I test drove a Charger SRT8 this weekend (My folks were looking at getting one) and it surprised me. VERY nice car, it has the 450hp Hemi, the heated racing seats, GPS navigation, the works. The new Chargers weigh in at 4,000lbs, so they are a VERY heavy car. (Can you believe they sell a non-hemi V6 version?)

I certainly wouldn't trade my Mustang in for a 4 door coupe, but for my parents, it's a perfect balance between power and luxury.

Congrats on the kill, those SRT8s are no pushover.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:52 PM
mvm549
2nd Gear Member

wut mods u got cas those should run high 4's
Old 05-22-2006, 08:13 PM
MrRogers
5th Gear Member

The Hemi in the SRT8 has 425hp not 450hp. Good race though. BTW, The transmission in his car is called an auto stick. It comes strait out of an E-class Mercedes. They work very well, but if you don't know how to shift them you will lose time on your 1/4 mile. I think if he would have left the car in drive and let the computer shift for him it would have been a diiferent race. Don't get me wrong, you still would have beat him in the end but you would have to catch up first.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:57 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

I did the same thing about 2 weeks back, except I didn't let him get the jump. I left the stoplight and never looked back on him.

Fun cars to kill... 425HP makes for a big big ego.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:13 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

The SRT-8 Jeeps are pretty darn quick too. I had a guy run me on the highway from an off ramp. I kept it floored from third to the very top of fourth (which is pretty quick) and he only fading slowly into my rearview mirror. Granted I had 100 yards on him but it's still not bad for a 4500 lb shoebox on 22" wheels. [sm=smiley36.gif]
Old 05-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

DODGE CHARGER CURB WEIGHT : 9.89 lb per HP
FORD MUSTANG CURB WEIGHT : 11.0 lb per HP

in all honesty, you SHOULDNT have the jump, just from power to weight ratio. sure, trannys are different. but ah, wouldnt help that. even having a manual. great kill though. just looking at engines, ya can paint an x on your door anytime for that one.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:25 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Its not just power and weight, it the gearing. I understand that those cars run a very tall gear in the rearend to give it the MPG it needs. If the car came with a more street/strip gearing, like I think that the SRT-8 only should, you would probably have to pay a gas guzzler tax when you buy the car.

Quick Reply: Surprising? run in with the SRT-8