Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New 06 GT Owner (Kind Of)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Ski66

Default New 06 GT Owner (Kind Of)

Well, here's a story that has me bouncing off the walls in sheer anger.

I redeployed from Afghanistan in late January and was looking to buy a sports car. I love the new look Mustang's and the GT was the vehicle for me. Took a few test drives in February, and had to do some saving up to put a down payment on the car.

My wife and I went to a dealer in Maryland this weekend to get one more test drive so I could confirm that the GT was what I really wanted. Took it out, ran great, and we began the process of buying the car. Haggle with the general manager and sales manager to get a decent price, and tell him that I wanted to see if there were any classic mustangs at a classic car dealership in a nearby town. There weren't, and I told the general manager that I would come back to his dealership if I couldn't find a classic mustang that I liked. They begged me to not leave without buying the car...but I gave them my word that I would come back and I did.

Couldn't find a old car that I liked so we go back to the dealership.

We are in with the finance people to get the contract dialed in, and the salesman comes in and wants me to do a walk around of the car to make sure nothing was jacked up. Well, guess what, there were speckles of what looked like white paint all over the entire car, from the hood to the windshield to both doors. Ends up it's not white paint, but clear coat overspray.

That angers me a little bit, as I can't take the car home now. The sales manager promises that he will detail the car for me, and apply an extra coat of clearcoat free of charge. He tells me it wil be later AT THE VERY LATEST Tuesday. He tells me that he'll call me on Monday around Noon to give me an update.

Noon monday comes and go. I call the dealership at 1PM to get an update. I am placed on hold for five minutes before they find the sales manager. Oh yeah, I was hung up on once.

I talk to the sales manager and he said it will be done tomorrow, but it might take until Wednesday. I tell him, in a clear, calm but violent voice that if my car was ready for me to pick up by Tuesday night, that I would cancel the deal and go to another dealer to buy a Mustang.

So, this is the situation I'm in now. My bank is sending out a check overnight today, and I plan on talking with the General Manager in a few minutes.

Here's how I see this panning out:
1. I get the car tomorrow (all is well).
2. I don't get the car tomorrow - my options become this:
A. Tell the dealer I want to cancel the deal because of poor customer service and poor maintenance on their part.
B. Tell the dealer I want another one of his Mustangs (which are $200-500 more based off options in the car)
C. Suck it up and wait until Wednesday.

I am really teed off with Ford, andmore specifically this dealership, right now. This is the second Ford I've bought in the last 5 years. I like to think of myself as a loyal customer, but I feel that I am getting the shaft on this deal. I am spending a good deal of cash but am not receiving the service I think I should be entitled to, especially since I don't even have my damned car yet!

So, good Mustang owners, what the hell would do if you were in my shoes?

thanks
Ski
Old 05-22-2006, 04:29 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New 06 GT Owner (Kind Of)

have them throw in lifetime maintenance during the warranty period. That way all your oil changes, brakes, so and so forth are free.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Ski66

Well, the general manager called me back and promised it would be completed by tomorrow.

What a nutroll!

But now I am looking forward to playing around!
Old 05-22-2006, 06:00 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

glad that worked out for ya. Most of us here have been waiting along long then a few days so we know how ya feel!

.....soo close now....
Old 05-22-2006, 07:13 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Ski,
As 06 noted, most of us waited a long time, and fully understand your anxiety of being this close

That being said, and if it was me, I would go with option B, if they have another one that meets your specs. Tell the dealer that you already got the check from the bank, which equals cash in hand, tell him you want the other car, and will be right down with the check. You will be driving it no problem.....

Mike

Old 05-22-2006, 07:22 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

sorry this bs happened to you, buying a brand new stang should
be a fun experience from start to finish. i hope all works out
and i know you will LOVE your new toy
Old 05-22-2006, 07:47 PM
bushbanger
2nd Gear Member

Good luck on the stang ..I know you will love it and thank you for the service to this country
Old 05-22-2006, 07:48 PM
kahunaman2

just my 2 cents- I had some issues with the paint on my Black 05 GT when I first got it - worst color for paint issues- anyway to make a long story short- sales guy told me the same bs and that the dealership would wet sand the area and reclear the entire car- went to the body shop to drop off the car and they said no way would they re clear the entire car- they would wet sand and blend the area that had the issue but to reclear the entire car was not possible as it would require removal of most of the trim and BS and that Ford would not authorize that- so just make sure you talk to the body shop and dont trust the sales guy- they will tell you anything to get that deal signed and keep you happy for about a week after....
Old 05-23-2006, 09:02 AM
Ski66

Kahuna,

If they want to play that game with me, that's fine. I'll send the car back if the paint is jacked up and we'll go around and around until they get it done.

They also have no choice in the matter because there are white specks over 90% of the exterior. They'll have to do the entire car minus the rear license plate area. Every other part of the vehicle has the crap on it.

I already have the check from my bank. If this car is not up to speed tonight, I simply won't buy it and go to another dealer. Not that big of a deal - except for the dealer.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:21 AM
marguerite66
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't feel comfortable buying the car. When you buy a brand new car, you want it to be perfect. If you do buy it, see if you can get something in writing about the condition of the car and that they'll warrantee the paint due to the circumstances. They'll try to make you happy until the deal is done but its very hard to go back a month or year from now and have them give you any satisfaction if you have a problem. Good luck!

Quick Reply: New 06 GT Owner (Kind Of)