Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

borla cat back exhaust..worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 09:56 AM
JoeJP

Default RE: borla cat back exhaust..worth it???

I have the FRPP shorties and Borla (FRPP) Stingers; they sound great, a little loud, but mine don't drone at all - maybe its the headers?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Yeah if you like throwing your money out the window, unless you have money to burn; which some do here.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:26 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Hey, I resemble that remark lol. Believe me, I'm not rich. I plan to give my GT to my daughter upon graduation from college 5 years from now. With a 304 grade exhaust system on it I expect it to be like brand new at that time. Here's a pic of her on the right taken shortly before I let her take the car to her prom. It actually came back unscathed in one piece lol.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38400/145ED96A3CF14EDFBF0E3F5C3073D493.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-26-2006, 03:53 AM
Driver_Kiddo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Patience?!?

And i want to state one more thing ... i notice you are asking on the cat back ... not the axle back, which is different. The cat-back ... is it worth it? ... my honest opinion ... no ... you are paying for stainless steel tubing from the muffler to the cats ... there is nothing wrong with the tubing that is already there stock, except for the fact they have a hard bend at the axle, and they look like crap ... but, that's about it. So i would not go for cat-back, just go for axle back unless you have money you just want to spend on it for looks.

wait so are you saying that there are no gains in HP for doing a BORLA cat-back exhaust system? It would be more beneficial to do an Axle-back ? is it a 7-15% gain? what are the real gains ?

EDIT: forgot... I would GO FOR BORLA exhaust. they sound the best for me as well. i compared them to Flowmasters, JBA, Magnapacks...etc...etc.. the only other exhaust worth doing is the SLP IMO, but it sounds a bit too agressive for me...i dont want too much attention, especially from the cops!
But Borlas are just right... they have a deep non droning rich agressive sound to them:

heres a couple of sound clips for BORLA. its not that great quality but u can feel what im talkin about

Borla/Ford Racing single exhaust.

http://2005stang.com/gallery/display...lbum=100&pos=0

http://2005stang.com/gallery/display...lbum=100&pos=1

Old 05-26-2006, 12:22 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Patience?!?

there is nothing wrong with the tubing that is already there stock, except for the fact they have a hard bend at the axle, and they look like crap ... but, that's about it. So i would not go for cat-back, just go for axle back unless you have money you just want to spend on it for looks.
Have you ever looked at the factory pipes. I did. I compared it side by side with my Borla catback pipe. There is a huge difference. The factory pipes have about 18 different small machine bends in them, the Borlas have about 4 mendral bends. I put on the axlebacks first, then I put on the catback system, trust me, there is a difference.

Borla Catback Exhaust Inside Run on a 2005 Mustang GT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_YL9NruWQQ

Borla Exhaust (Outside)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcqU1KoSDwQ

Borla Catback Exhaust on a 2005 Mustang GT Fly-by
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTOJebdq-kM

~Fred
Old 12-24-2006, 02:02 PM
silverpoison
2nd Gear Member

GUYS do you have the stock cat back pipes...I need them ASAP. If you have them for sale send me a PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:54 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

I have the side exhaust with magnaflow mufflers it def has a deep sound and sounds great at WOT wish it .... i just want it a little louder idk ... what to do im going to add headers and an off road h pipe that should do the trick
Old 12-24-2006, 06:12 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

I love my 304 stainless FRRP Borla stingers..they sound sweet...I love them with my Kooks LT setup..love the borla stingers....
Old 12-24-2006, 07:08 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GGIII
Borlas are what comes on your car! They are -slightly- deeper and louder.
FRPP "Stingers" are the same as the Borlas.
This is completely wrong. The Borla Stingers and their FRPP counterpart are MUCH louder and MUCH deeper than stock, not even in the same ballpark. And they are absolutely not the stock GT muffler.

You may be thinking of the oval shaped Borlas, as opposed to the straight through resonator type (the Stingers). The oval shaped ones are supposed to be only a mild improvement over stock. The Stingers are probably the most often recommended axlebacks for these new Mustangs.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:17 PM
07AlloyGT
3rd Gear Member

if you guys want to hear what it sounds like from my 07, i posted vids in this thread:

https://mustangforums.com/m_2338659/tm.htm

i have more videos coming but since it's christmas and the weather hasn't been great, they'll have to wait.

Quick Reply: borla cat back exhaust..worth it???