Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

5.4 SOHC...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 11:10 PM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

Default 5.4 SOHC...

Well i was wondering if anyone has done this, or if anyone even thought of this...

I see there are a decent amount of stroker kits out availible for Mod motors ranging from 289 to 302CI, with ford also offering the 5.4L in the trucks i was wondering why the aftermarket has come up with kits to swap it(5.4L) into the S197 cars. I have read few if any articles on that topic(there was one a few years back on swaping a 5.4 into a New edge stang). I was contemplating doing this myself in a few years if i could piece together the parts. First of all i know the intakes are different because the the 5.4L is taller so I would have to retain the fact. intake which would probably hamper the overall Hp output(because it is probably designed for low speed torque/power) though there might be sometype of adapter avaible later on that might let you use the 4.6L intake, but I know u could use aftermarket-cams and ported-heads. I was wondering how the exhaust would bolt up ie...Hearders and H-pipse and the likes. I think u could still use the fact. k-member and mounts. Also I now theyre is plenty of room in the engine bay if they can fit the DOHC 5.4 in the Shelby....then room shouldn't be a problem for its brother the SOHC.

Just wanted your thoughts...
Old 05-24-2006, 11:06 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 5.4 SOHC...

this swap is in the plans for my car. i'm hoping to find a good low mileage 5.4 3V this winter. i don't thinnk it will be too hard other than the intake and exhaust as you pointed out. it's nothing a tig welder and a sawzall can't fix i think the intake won't be too hard. it will require some custom cmrc deletes to adapt the 4.6 intake to the 5.4. by the way there is a guy on another forum that has a 5.4 3V in a 96 gt. he's been testing lots of stuff like short runner intakes etc. i'll try to find a link for you.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:34 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Sean Hyland makes a "big bore stroker kit" that gets 5.2 L out of a 4.6 block:

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/...oducts_id=1829

Old 05-24-2006, 09:32 PM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Sean Hyland makes a "big bore stroker kit" that gets 5.2 L out of a 4.6 block:

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/...oducts_id=1829

Well my point is why buy a stroker kit if u can simply buy a used 5.4L 3V (maybe get some forge pistons and maybe rods). Kinda would be a bugdet stroker kit if u could get the motor(5.4L) cheap, and just do some little things like the custom headers and and the intake plate adapter.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:06 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SweetGT
Well my point is why buy a stroker kit if u can simply buy a used 5.4L 3V (maybe get some forge pistons and maybe rods). Kinda would be a bugdet stroker kit if u could get the motor(5.4L) cheap, and just do some little things like the custom headers and and the intake plate adapter.
There are a lot of factors to consider:

1. The 4.6 is an aluminum block. I think the 5.4 is cast iron. Thus, the bored/stroked 4.6 motor would be much lighter.
2. Headers, intake, motor mounts, accessories, sensors, wiring, and such is a no-brainer on the stroked 4.6
3. With the right parts installed, a modified 4.6 will end up stronger than a stock 5.4. The modified 4.6 has forged pistons, rods & crank. It could handle a lot more power if you were thinking of other mods, like nitrous or forced induction.

I suppose it would depend on exactly how much the used 5.4 would go for....
Old 05-24-2006, 10:29 PM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl
There are a lot of factors to consider:

1. The 4.6 is an aluminum block. I think the 5.4 is cast iron. Thus, the bored/stroked 4.6 motor would be much lighter.
2. Headers, intake, motor mounts, accessories, sensors, wiring, and such is a no-brainer on the stroked 4.6
3. With the right parts installed, a modified 4.6 will end up stronger than a stock 5.4. The modified 4.6 has forged pistons, rods & crank. It could handle a lot more power if you were thinking of other mods, like nitrous or forced induction.

I suppose it would depend on exactly how much the used 5.4 would go for....

Well your are right about cast iron block, thats something i didnt think of.
But the part about the modified 4.6L, it would definately be stronger than a OEM 5.4L. But if I am not mistaking they make forged rods&pistons for the new/old 5.4L. I dont think the crank would be that big of a deal unless your where try to make the most amount of power(600WHP+) possible. If that the case I think u might be able to get a hold of one of the new shelby Gt500 cranks( i imagine they are forged). But I dont know what the weight difference be but your are going to be makin ALot more torque with the 5.4L so you could compinsate for any loss there figuratively speaking.

I know nothing about this other than what i read and what i am thinkin about. It is hypothetical to me right now just seeing how much it would cost, labor involved and the parts that would have to be aquired.

Besides the closest stroker kit that i have seen is the the 5.2 that you provided me with. Thanks for your input it is appreciated..

Old 05-24-2006, 10:31 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

as far as strength goes the 3V 5.4 blocks are iron and much stronger although heavier. most 5.4's have forged cranks(not sure about the 3V though) so all that would be needed is rods and pistons if the block has low miles on it. the difference in size is really minimal when comparing a 5.0 to 460 fox body swap and the wiring harness on those works fine. i think the biggest concern is weight but adding 90 lbs. isn't so bad if you gain 75hp and butt loads of torque. get a k-member and a-arms and you will almost break even regarding weight distribution. since i have that stuff already i will still wind up lighter than a stock gt even with the added weight of the iron block. with 11:1 compression, decent cams and light head work i see no reason why i can get 400rwhp and to 450+ft.lbs. of torque n/a for about the same cost as a good s/c and much less than a big bore 4.6 stroker. heck just the darton sleeves alone are $1900 and then add your rotating ***'y oh and it's still only 5.2L vs. 5.4L. for me since i have the ability to do the fab work necessary for the 5.4 swap it's a no brainer.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:41 PM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spyder7724

as far as strength goes the 3V 5.4 blocks are iron and much stronger although heavier. most 5.4's have forged cranks(not sure about the 3V though) so all that would be needed is rods and pistons if the block has low miles on it. the difference in size is really minimal when comparing a 5.0 to 460 fox body swap and the wiring harness on those works fine. i think the biggest concern is weight but adding 90 lbs. isn't so bad if you gain 75hp and butt loads of torque. get a k-member and a-arms and you will almost break even regarding weight distribution. since i have that stuff already i will still wind up lighter than a stock gt even with the added weight of the iron block. with 11:1 compression, decent cams and light head work i see no reason why i can get 400rwhp and to 450+ft.lbs. of torque n/a for about the same cost as a good s/c and much less than a big bore 4.6 stroker. heck just the darton sleeves alone are $1900 and then add your rotating ***'y oh and it's still only 5.2L vs. 5.4L. for me since i have the ability to do the fab work necessary for the 5.4 swap it's a no brainer.
I also like the ability to build the motor on a stand and add the parts as necassary, then swap in the 5.4 3valve( as a opposed to pullin the current motor and havin to swap all the parts on to it and then waitin on it to get back from the machine shop and all that....Its the down time that i hate[:@]). So i might be lookin in the junkyard in the next year or so for a good donor. I was thinking the wiring harness should be pretty similar, as it would save ford a lot of money to keep them close to the same(4.6L & 5.4L) as possible. The only problem i am seein is the intake and exhaust, but that could be fabed up by a good shop i imagine.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:34 AM
GtStangFGCU

so will stroking the motor void the warranty? I would assume it would, also is there anyone out there that has stroked their 05-06, if so what were the gains like?
Old 06-01-2006, 01:24 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

stroking the motor will rape your warranty.

its a very creative way to get power, but IMO not freakin worth it. this is a finely tuned motor, designed for a certain stroke, you'll get more power, but come on, thats just like a complete last resort. save the money, get a FORGED rotating assembly, and supercharge the hell out of it.

if your talking about mods on this level, you can forget your warranty.

in 5.0 mag they did an insane amount of fabbing to fit a ford GT motor which in essence, is the GT500 DOHC 4V into a s197. the stock displacement is fine IMO. make it stronger and go from there.

Quick Reply: 5.4 SOHC...