Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

4.6 threshold

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 04:21 AM
ristuccia

Default 4.6 threshold

So whats the deal? I just read an article in the newest Muscle Mustangs+Fast fords about whipples supercharger. I had already known about this s/c and all of the others but i have been meaning to ask this question. If the 4.6 can only take up to 420-425 hp (which i have read on this site numerous times) how can the engine survive the damn near 500 that they claim the whipple puts out? the same goes for other s/cs aswell. does everyone that gets a s/c reinforce their engine? or are people trying thier luck hopeing they dont encounter serious problems in the future? thanks for any thoughts

chris
Old 05-24-2006, 02:09 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 4.6 threshold

People are forging the 4.6s.

That's it.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:22 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Glad you brought this up because it is very misleading to many. In regards to ALL the s/c out there...

They are not going to sell you a kit that is going to blow your car. When you read about the numbers that all of the s/c's/turbos are putting out, they are giving you numbers that they are CAPABLE of. Numbers that they are getting themselves on their own test cars. YOU WILL NOT MAKE THE NUMBERS ADVERTISED WITH THE TUNE THAT IS INCLUDED WITH THE KIT FOR ANY S/C SYSTEM.

Now, for the guys who ARE pushing the limits of the s/c's and custom tuning them, yes, most of us are doing forged bottom ends (at the least) and the ones who aren't will have to soon enough.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:53 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

Glad you brought this up because it is very misleading to many. In regards to ALL the s/c out there...

They are not going to sell you a kit that is going to blow your car. When you read about the numbers that all of the s/c's/turbos are putting out, they are giving you numbers that they are CAPABLE of. Numbers that they are getting themselves on their own test cars. YOU WILL NOT MAKE THE NUMBERS ADVERTISED WITH THE TUNE THAT IS INCLUDED WITH THE KIT FOR ANY S/C SYSTEM.

Now, for the guys who ARE pushing the limits of the s/c's and custom tuning them, yes, most of us are doing forged bottom ends (at the least) and the ones who aren't will have to soon enough.
CK, I'm looking into the FFRP Whipple setup and no more than the 400 to 420hp it will bring, this way I can use the CAI I have now, or at the very least I'll go with the Saleen S/C so I can keep it (my TUnable Induction CAI), might as well continue to run parts you already have right?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:21 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

Chevykiller, what does a forged bottom end include? are you talking rods and cam shaft? Is there more to that or am I way off?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:51 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I spoke with whipple and they are claiming 475rwhp with their HO system and no other modifications. They claim no engine longevity problems and that the engine is fine at that level as ford developed the tune for them.

They ran mid 11's with just their HO kit and street slicks if I understand them.

The ford kit is going to be the same way according to them with the possibility of keeping your warentee intact.

Sounds too good to be true, but if ford puts out a kit for 5 grand that is 475rwhp with a factory warrentee, which is what they are saying, that is going to be something else man.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:17 PM
macdaddyslomo
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikefan20

Chevykiller, what does a forged bottom end include? are you talking rods and cam shaft? Is there more to that or am I way off?
Forged Crank,rods, and pistons...that's basically it
Old 05-24-2006, 11:14 PM
mim3

Sign me up for 1 Ford kit. 475hp w/warranty please!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:15 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: macdaddyslomo

ORIGINAL: mikefan20

Forged Crank,rods, and pistons...that's basically it
^^^^^ what he said...
Old 05-24-2006, 11:21 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: classj

I spoke with whipple and they are claiming 475rwhp with their HO system and no other modifications. They claim no engine longevity problems and that the engine is fine at that level as ford developed the tune for them.

They ran mid 11's with just their HO kit and street slicks if I understand them.

The ford kit is going to be the same way according to them with the possibility of keeping your warentee intact.

Sounds too good to be true, but if ford puts out a kit for 5 grand that is 475rwhp with a factory warrentee, which is what they are saying, that is going to be something else man.
Alright, for the benefit of some of you, I will tell you again, but this is it. The 475 you are referring to is what it CAN make and what THEY made on the car. I garuntee you the tune that comes with it will give you 400-420 rwhp...PERIOD.

If you custom tune it to the 500 mark, it is a matter of WHEN and not IF you grenade your block. I promise you that whipple will have a stipulation that for the warranty to be intact, the provided tune must be used and any variation of the tune will void the warranty. Believe what you want, but that's just the way it is. Bear in mind too, that whipple has been promising this s/c for over a year and still have not delivered a single public unit. The simple reason is they won't until they can ensure themselves that the no one is going to blow their motor with the included tune.

Quick Reply: 4.6 threshold