Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

To much debat.....X or H pipe???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 03:08 PM
DnJsStang

Default To much debat.....X or H pipe???

talked to alot of people they say H pipe sounds better and x pipe sounds ricey. Another couple guys say x pipes flow better. Im confused, someone help!
Old 06-02-2006, 03:46 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: To much debat.....X or H pipe???

The difference between an H-pipe and an X-pipe are small.

Technically an X-pipe has slightly better flow characteristics due to decreased turbulence. Is this difference something you will notice? Probably not, unless you are really pushing the limits of your exhaust (in other words, if you have a SERIOUSLY modded motor 600 HP +)

They do sound different, but the difference isn't huge. My car has an X-pipe on it, and it sounds far from ricey. I would say the sounds are hard to describe. If you want, find some guys with different setups locally and go listen to them in person. You might try online audio clips, but they won't be particularly accurate. Most microphones and speakers can't do a good job picking up or playing back the low frequencies encounted in an exhaust system.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:53 PM
silverstang06
2nd Gear Member

oh man, AL...i just went nuts!!!!

just ordered freaking JBA long tubes with the low res hpipe, and freaking borla stingers!!!!

so pumped!!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 05:05 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

The h pipe is going to give you more of a deep, throaty sound that we all came to love out of the 5.0's. The x is a little more "raspy" but still sounds great IMO - definitely not ricey. The only way a V8 can sound ricey is to cut off the mufflers and cats, and run 2" pipes all the way back like all them hill-billy truck guys do
Old 06-02-2006, 05:28 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Hi DnJ,

Are you after sound or the power? Though the diferences in power are slight an X-pipe design in general can have a significant power advantage above 3,000RPM over a traditional H-pipe. There is a very good reason that EVERY NASCAR team is using an X-pipe type balance tube, power!

If you want the old school muscle car sound you will need to stick with an H-pipe design and a chambered style muffler. If you want the modern, refined, blended sound of say a C6 Corvette or Audi or BMW V-8 exhaust go with an X-pipe. Also note that high flow cats can make your car a LOT louder than the stock catted H-pipe will for a given cat back system. Also note that depending on the X-pipe you will very likely have a slight resonance in the 2,500RPM range or so depending on the design and which mufflers you run. This can get VERY loud with high-flow cats and straight through stinger style rear silencers.

You almost can't make an S197 GT sound ricey can you? I've never heard one that sounded ricey to be honest with you.

Cheers

ORIGINAL: DnJsStang

talked to alot of people they say H pipe sounds better and x pipe sounds ricey. Another couple guys say x pipes flow better. Im confused, someone help!
Old 06-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Thats interesting you say Nascar using the x-pipe because I just looked at my Nascar diecast models and they have a wide H-pipe.
ORIGINAL: F1Fan

Hi DnJ,

Are you after sound or the power? Though the diferences in power are slight an X-pipe design in general can have a significant power advantage above 3,000RPM over a traditional H-pipe. There is a very good reason that EVERY NASCAR team is using an X-pipe type balance tube, power!

If you want the old school muscle car sound you will need to stick with an H-pipe design and a chambered style muffler. If you want the modern, refined, blended sound of say a C6 Corvette or Audi or BMW V-8 exhaust go with an X-pipe. Also note that high flow cats can make your car a LOT louder than the stock catted H-pipe will for a given cat back system. Also note that depending on the X-pipe you will very likely have a slight resonance in the 2,500RPM range or so depending on the design and which mufflers you run. This can get VERY loud with high-flow cats and straight through stinger style rear silencers.

You almost can't make an S197 GT sound ricey can you? I've never heard one that sounded ricey to be honest with you.

Cheers

Old 06-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

Hi DnJ,

Cheers

take a look at the off road x and h pipes on the market...the only difference is the h has 2-3inches of seperation between the two sides while the x has direct cross paths. the flow characteristics will be nearly identical, and there should be NO POWER DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER given the size of our motors, the relatively large diameter of the exhaust piping, and the naturally aspirated condition. strap on a blower and you MIGHT notice up to 5hp diff, but i still say nay.

im not discounting your nascar knowledge, but you do have to consider that those motors are bigger, flow MUCH more air considering they rev well over 10000rpm, and make 600-900rwhp
Old 06-03-2006, 03:24 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

uh oh. n0ob alert.

i thought nascar ran open headers?
Old 06-03-2006, 12:43 PM
paco_pony
2nd Gear Member

I just can't imagine a mustang sounding ricey, regardless of exhaust.

i got x's matched with magnaflow mufflers.

low rumble at idle

beatifully and obnoxiously brassy at WOT
Old 06-03-2006, 12:58 PM
alphy

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

uh oh. n0ob alert.

i thought nascar ran open headers?
They did run open headers in the late 1980s. Honestly I dont know what they run now as its been that long since I was at a NASCAR race.

Quick Reply: To much debat.....X or H pipe???