Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

EXHAUST IDEA!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

Default EXHAUST IDEA!

Ok, so i was talking with my friend (audi a4) about exhaust systems, and he mentioned how the ATP or whatever brand titanium exhaust for his car takes like 25-30lbs of static weight off of the car.
My original plans were long tubes, off road mid pipe, and connected into the stock axle-back/mufflers. HOWEVER, would it be possible to do long tubes, off road mid, and hook it up to the cervini (i believe) side-exit exhuast??? That would knock a bunch of weight off the car, and simplify the process of swapping the stock exhaust back in when i have to pass smog in 2010.

Would this WORK? How hard would it be to set up, and how much would JUST the mufflers/tips of the cervini exhusat cost?
Old 06-03-2006, 09:30 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: EXHAUST IDEA!

Yes, you could hook up longtubes to a side-exit exhaust. It depends on how the Cervini parts work. If they connect to the OEM "H-pipe junction" then the Cervini stuff should probably bolt right on with no custom work needed.

On the other hand, if the Cervini parts are not compatible with your OR H-pipe, then you'll have to tackle this as a custom project; you will have to find a custom shop to either bend the tubes for you or piece some together out of pre-bent parts.

This will not be easy to do right. Most muffler shops do not work with stainless steel. This is becasue it's not common on most cars, it is much more difficult to form (expand and bend) than plain steel, and it requires specialized equipment to weld it properly.

So, the local muffler shop will be able to do this conversion, but they would be using plain steel parts "in between", which won't last, and I'd be worried about the quality of their workmanship in general as well.

If you want it done right you need to find a speed shop or muffler shop that is used to doing *real* performance exhaust and will do the work with all stainless parts. Tell them you want EVERY piece to be real 304 stainless, and you want it welded with stainless filler & argon purge. A real performance shop will be able to do this.

I don't know what the Cervini side-exit stuff costs. I would expect to pay a few hundred $$ for the "adaptation" if you need it, assuming it's done by a competent welder and he uses all the right parts.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:57 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: EXHAUST IDEA!

Hey, first, i have to say, that would be sooo bad. I mean it would look and sound great. Ive never seen a yellow with a cervini kit. It would definitely seperate you out from most exhaust set ups. Yes it is possible to hook up the cervini exhaust to your LTs and midpipe. If by chance, they dont fit, all you would have to do is have a shop just do a littlecustom work for that part. The kit is about 1200 and it comes with the side skirts and bumper valence to cover up you holes in the back and give it a sportier look. Also the cervini kit uses magnaflo mufflers.