Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Borla Exhaust Illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Driver_Kiddo
3rd Gear Member

Default Borla Exhaust Illegal?

In california...

is it illegal to do just a Borla cat-back system?? i was going to purchase this item when it said: "NOTE:Not legal for sale or use on California pollution-controlled motor vehicles. This product is intended for off-road or racing use only and is not intended or applicable for highway use. Shipped separately from factory."

I thought it was only illegal to do the full exhaust with LT headers( which gets rid of the catalyc converters...)...

So can i legally get the borla cat backs on my stock GT In cali Or not?

[:@]
Old 06-07-2006, 08:00 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Borla Exhaust Illegal?

ORIGINAL: Driver_Kiddo

In california...

is it illegal to do just a Borla cat-back system?? i was going to purchase this item when it said: "NOTE:Not legal for sale or use on California pollution-controlled motor vehicles. This product is intended for off-road or racing use only and is not intended or applicable for highway use. Shipped separately from factory."

I thought it was only illegal to do the full exhaust with LT headers( which gets rid of the catalyc converters...)...

Everything in CA is illegal...
Old 06-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Driver_Kiddo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: randy78045

In california...

seriously... Im still getting it though f that! wtf kind of a law is that....

ALL 50 STATES are approving the cat back system except CALI.. who the @#$% is CALI...oh well! [&:]
Old 06-07-2006, 08:07 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

In california...

ALL 50 STATES are approving the cat back system except CALI.. who the @#$% is CALI...oh well! [&:]
I say move to texas an pray for the big quake... america will be better off...
Old 06-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Driver_Kiddo
3rd Gear Member

In california...

hehe yeah...
anyway... how will a cop know ? will he legally be able to pull me over for my exhasut if its not reletivly too loud? i just dont want to happend.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:13 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

dont forget your emission tests.... [:-]
Old 06-07-2006, 08:18 PM
silverpoison
2nd Gear Member

I HAVE THE BORLA'S ON MY CAR AND ON FRIDAY MY CUSTOM O/R H PIPE. THE EMISIONS ARE IN 2011 AND IT IS A BOLT-ON PART. PULLOVER>TAKE-OFF EXHAUST>INSPECTION> PUT BACK THE AFTERMARKET EXHAUST>[sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 06-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Driver_Kiddo
3rd Gear Member

dont forget your emission tests.... [:-]
yeah its fine i know how to get through that..

Another question:

Does Ford offer LEGAL exhaust enhancment for 05 GT?? i love the borlas for their deep pure powerful sound... i dont care much for Hp gains since i live in CALI...Gheyness...But any clue If Ford offers somethin better than STOCK?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Don't know about the other states, but Illinois' LAWS are VERY restrictive as far as exhaust, but the COPS are not.

The laws say ANY modification to make exhaust louder than stock from factory is not allowed. There aren't enough cops to enforce this even if they wanted to. Bottom line is, they can legally pull you over for it and ticket you but they won't unless you are doing something else they want you for!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:41 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

In california...

Oh hell yeah! Less tree-hugging democratic fanatics and new beachfront property out here in Las Vegas

I really don't think you'd have to worry about it until you go run emissions in a few years...

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust Illegal?