Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cold are intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Rypper1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Cold are intake

Installing a CAI and a Tune is very simple. If you can walk and talk at the same time you can handle it. As far as voiding the warranty, it really can't but the dealer can make you fight for it. The only way it will legally void the warranty is if the mod you make causes a part to fail. But, again, the dealer can really make it a pain in the *** for you. Best thing to do would be to ask the service manager if the CAI would void your warranty. That way you can tell if he is going to be a jackass or take care of you. I asked mine and he said it would not be a problem. In fact he stated that if it came down to a Ford Rep having to look at the car over a warranty issue he would ask that I take it off before the Rep looked at it. He seemed real cool about it. I still would take the CAI off and reflash to stock if I was bringing it in for warranty work in case a Rep was called in.

Randy

Old 06-11-2006, 11:52 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Hey shockme76, what a great reply with alot of detailed info. Thanks!!!!!!I am going to order the intake Monday, will get the tune as well when I figure out which one to get. Thanks againnnnnn
Old 06-11-2006, 12:03 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

To Rypper1, I hear you about asking to be sure. My dealer Service guy even told me when I got my wheels and tires "make sure you come back to me when you get your service work so no body will void your warranty" He said this about my wheel and tires!! I do go to him for everything. Nothing done yet but my free oil changes,, oh wait thats not true. I had a rear axel seal leak on my right rear. They took care of it really fast without any issues, appoligized like a hundred times. I think this is alos because they get alot of heat over the reviews that come out following a service visit. I always get a phone call the next week to see how everything went and a warning that I would get a survey in the mail or by email soon after and how they hoped they could get a 100% review from me. I think its all on the service dude. When I install mine(please go well!!!) I will not revert back to factory if future work is needed. Thanks soo much..
Old 06-11-2006, 01:42 PM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

The only thing I will caution is that if you get one that needs a tuner, you need to know that thing and be able re-flash it if you need to. Some folks have some quirky issues with CAI's that require a retune back to stock. So that's my only caution, but as for installation, It's going to be the easiest mod you can possibly do if you're not a wrench turner.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:43 PM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black GT

ORIGINAL: shockme76
[A lot of people do that. There's been no real answer to this. More than likely for your regular oil changes and such it wouldn't be an issue. If warranty work is needed it could be an issue. It's really up to the dealership on how this will be handled. If you don't mind doing it and don't think it's a hassle then it's a safe way of avoiding problems. I on the other hand have faith in my stang and i have no intentions of removing my CAI and tune. But that's just me! It's too bad these aren't standard from the factory! It's such a great add on!
How much of a difference do CAIs make?

I'm thinking about getting a supercharger or turbo setup when my warranty runs out. Not sure if messing around with a CAI is worth it before then. And I don't want any warranty issues if something arises.
With the CAI and tune you can get up to 30rwhp. It makes it sound more aggressive and i can feel the power difference. It's not a huge difference like a supercharger would make obviously but it is a noticable difference. I think everyone on here would agree it's the first mod you should do if not going straight to a SC or turbo. If it was me and i had to wait a few years for the warranty to expire to get my supercharger then i would definitely do the CAI. Once i got the supercharger i'd just sell the CAI to get something back for it. As far as the warranty thing, the only sure way is to not mod your stang at all but who wants to do that! The warranty issue is dealer specific really but they also have to prove that your mod caused the problem.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

A cold air intake/tuner package will run around $600 on ebay. The C&L cold air intake and the SCT-Xcal2 tuner combination is one of the best around. The tuner installs a tune onto your car, replacing the stock tune. You can store up to 3 tunes on your tuner, and you can also buy custom tunes from places such as bamachips and alternative performance that better suit your car that the standard 89 octane, 91 octane, and the 93 octane tunes.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:24 PM
JSP2005

ORIGINAL: BoidMorphs

Believe me, I'm no mechanic and I did my own install. My mission statement is, "when all else fails, read the directions!" There's no way you should need anyone to install a CAI for you. My K&N was a piece of cake to put in. Contrary to what K&N says, you WILL need a tune after making the change. I think they snag more buyers due to their claim of not needing one because nobody wants to spring for the added cost of buying a tuner. I was very disappointed in the performance after I did the install. My GT ran like crap right up until the tune. After that the difference was night and day. Just set aside some time and do it yourself but be ready to have your car tuned also or running to lean can fry your engine.

Anybody else have a problem with the K&N aircharger without a tune?
Old 06-11-2006, 09:50 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

hey Black06stang the combo you mentioned, is that easer to get on ebay or from a Mustang site? As far as price and dealing with any issues? I want to order one by Monday and just want to be able to get the right combo. Also you mentioned it that it places a tune in your car that replaces the factory setting. In generalI get it that I should be able to install the cold ait myself, is the feeling the same about doing the tune?
Old 06-11-2006, 09:54 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Hey demarcom, judging by the way you worded your statement it sounds like it is possible to be a cai that does not need a tune. Is this true? If so why would anyone go through the hassle of getting one that needed one? Let me know. I would like to order one by 6/12.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:16 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: flewbyu

Hey demarcom, judging by the way you worded your statement it sounds like it is possible to be a cai that does not need a tune. Is this true? If so why would anyone go through the hassle of getting one that needed one? Let me know. I would like to order one by 6/12.
All CAI that will do any good WILL need a tune. If you dont tune the cars computer after you install the CAI your car will run very lean, meaning you will have a higher air to fuel ratio than what you need. This isnt good for your engine at all and you can burn it up this way. If you get a CAI that claims it doesnt need a tune then chances are its not going to give much of a performance boost at all and isnt worth the money. The C&L or JLT2 can give up to 30 rwhp and DO need a tune. If you plan on getting a CAI I would just save up another couple weeks or so and wait and buy a tuner along with the intake. If you do buy an intake and not a tuner, remember that the tuner is only about 300 bucks, while a new engine is at least a couple grand.

Quick Reply: Cold are intake