Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

JBA OR SLP??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 12:19 AM
JayholeUSMC

Default JBA OR SLP??

WHATS UP EVERYONE?

I'VE NARROWED AN EXHAUST DOWN FOR MY 06 GT...

JBA AXEL BACKS OR SLP LOUDMOUTH AXEL BACKS (THE ONES THAT LOOK PIPES INTEAD OF A REGULAR CAN).

IM JUST LOOKIN FOR SOME ADVICE FOR SOME OTHER MUSTANG LOVERS WHO MIGHT ALREADY HAVE THESE INSTALLED OR MIGHT OF HEAD THEM. IM NOT LOOKING FOR HP/TQ GAINS... IM LOOKING MORE FOR DEEPER AGGR3ESSIVE TONE. BORLA, DYNOMAX, BASSANI, AND UNFORTUNATLY FLOWMASTER (THEY LET ME DOWN WITH THE AMERICAN THUNDERS FOR THE 05-06 GT)

THANKS A LOT MOTOR HEADS!
Old 06-11-2006, 12:24 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: JBA OR SLP??

They both are descent and it comes to down to personal opinion I think. I personally like the SLP's over the JBA but like the Borlas better than both. Either way, please remove your caps when you type...lol j/k and welcome to the forums.

Mark
Old 06-11-2006, 12:27 AM
JayholeUSMC

I realized I botched that post with spelling errors... and things that might be confusing...

im not looking for borlas, dynomax, bassani, or flowmasters, just the SLP's or JBA's.

and im looking for from info from other mustang lovers.... not for mustang lovers...

yeah long day, sorry, ha!
Old 06-11-2006, 12:30 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

You'd be hard pressed to find an S197 meaner sounding than mine and I have borlas. (admittedly amoung A LOT of other things) but based on your request and what you're looking for, I think you will be happier with the SLP's IMHO.

Mark
Old 06-11-2006, 01:18 AM
2006GTMUSTANG

I have the SLP's and I love them. I would deffentely recomend them.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:33 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Hey jayhole,

WHY ARE YOU YELLING? The mufflers you are asking about are VERY different sounding, very different designs. The SLP are a straight through can design with minimal sound absorbtion, sort of like a very small diameter ricer fart can but with a hard *** additude. The original JBA EVOL mufflers are a classic 2 chamber design that are fairly mellow sounding at limited throttle openings and pretty loud when the motor is run flat out with the stock catted H-pipe. The JBA EVOL muffler system gets REALLY LOUD though when used with a high-flow or cattless X or H pipe, be forewarned!

Generally speaking I've found the straight through silencer designs sound best with H-pipes and that classic chambered mufflers sound best with an X-pipe. I've tried all of these combinations myself (I have a garage full of different exhaust systems, ask anybody I've installed suspension for), and the best power I found was with the MagnaPack catback system with its straight through type rear silencers and MagnaFlow Tru-X pipe with high flow cats. This was a loud, very resonant system with various harmonics coming and going through out the whole RPM band. My wife hated it and I only had the MagnaPack on the car on for 10 days! It seems that the 3-valve engine seems to need some small amount of back pressure to work best, at least with the current cam and our limited knowledge of how the engine responds to variable cam timing. I only know this stuff to be true of systems with good shorty headers as I tested most of them with a set of JBA shorties installed.

Hope this helps you!

Cheers

ORIGINAL: JayholeUSMC

WHATS UP EVERYONE?

I'VE NARROWED AN EXHAUST DOWN FOR MY 06 GT...

JBA AXEL BACKS OR SLP LOUDMOUTH AXEL BACKS (THE ONES THAT LOOK PIPES INTEAD OF A REGULAR CAN).

IM JUST LOOKIN FOR SOME ADVICE FOR SOME OTHER MUSTANG LOVERS WHO MIGHT ALREADY HAVE THESE INSTALLED OR MIGHT OF HEAD THEM. IM NOT LOOKING FOR HP/TQ GAINS... IM LOOKING MORE FOR DEEPER AGGR3ESSIVE TONE. BORLA, DYNOMAX, BASSANI, AND UNFORTUNATLY FLOWMASTER (THEY LET ME DOWN WITH THE AMERICAN THUNDERS FOR THE 05-06 GT)

THANKS A LOT MOTOR HEADS!
Old 06-11-2006, 03:24 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I love my JBA's, and F1Fan is right about the sound.

I have an off road H-pipe with long tube headers. The sound at idle and under light throttle is deep and throaty, the way a muscle car should sound. When you mash the gas,though, all hell breaks loose. The system opens up and sounds downright mean.

It is supprisingly quiet inside the car though with the windows up. I love it.