Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just got 06 GT-Rear Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 12:39 AM
bc

Default Just got 06 GT-Rear Speaker Question

I just got a 06' GT about 2 weeks ago and have been reading this forum for about a week and joined today. Great forum. The posts about installing new rear speakers was good info. I went with the Infinity 6x8 and the person that posted about the grill popping off sure saved me some time. I didn't realize the grills popped off and was getting ready to take out the carpeted shelf. Then I searched the forums and found out. The old speakers weren't hard to get out because I was able to use my fingers to twist the star bit but I used the same screws for the Infinitys and half way through I realized I'd have to tighten them down alot more because the old speakers had some height due to the built-in grill. Oh well...it took some doing and I had to use a small vise grip to clamp the star bit at a right angle and slowly tighten them down. But it's done now and they aren't coming out. They sound great but I wanted make sure I had the polarity right. And this is my question:
I couldn't tell on the old speakers because there were no markings for + and - and I couldn't tell which color coded wires in the connecter were +/- so I just used the wire on the side of each existing connecter were the snap lock was and made that the + side on each speaker. Since I did the same procedure for each speaker I figured it probably didn't make a difference but I was just wondering if anybody new for sure which of the color coded wires on the left and right rear speakers was the positive wire. Thanks in advance if anyone knows.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:37 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Just got 06 GT-Rear Speaker Question

I di my speakers too, but sorry I don't remember. But I just remembered that i didn't have to remember b/c I got the harnesses from Crutchfield W/ my Infinitys. I suggest if you can't find out, spend the 10 bucks and get a set at Best Buy or something, or call crutchfield. It taked the guess work out of it b/c they can only go on one way. Good Luck.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:40 AM
bc

Default RE: Just got 06 GT-Rear Speaker Question

Thanks. I got the speakers at Best Buy so I will go back and get the right connector (I rigged mine) or ask them to look and see if I did it right.

BC

EDIT: Thanks for the tip about Crutchfield. I went to their website and saw a close-up picture of the wiring harness they supply for Ford. The Infinitys (as probably most aftermarket speakers) have the wide connector for + and narrow connector for -. So I can see from their wire harness adapter picture which clearly shows the narrow - side on the hareness clip side that I did it wrong. The ground is on the clip side. Thanks again.