Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Who here has successfully reduced exhaust drone with sound deadener?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 10:29 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Who here has successfully reduced exhaust drone with sound deadener?

ORIGINAL: BradInFl

Thanks crazyal. I tihnk I am going to order this Ebay Mat Does anyone see any reason why I should not get this product?
I haven't used that stuff, so I can't say for sure.

I have used Dynamat--which works well, but is very expensive. Recently I started using Second Skin Audio Damplifier Pro, which I found to work better than Dynamat, and it costs much less.

This stuff on Ebay is very cheap. It's also on the "thin side" compared to many of the other mats out there.

Personally, my opinion is that if you're going to go through all the effort of installing it, I would make sure to get some good product. Installing this stuff is no fun (if you ask me, anyway). If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right. My vote goes for the SecondSkin stuff, becasue I've used it and I KNOW how well it works.

You might want to check this out:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Old 06-12-2006, 10:35 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Who here has successfully reduced exhaust drone with sound deadener?

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Personally, my opinion is that if you're going to go through all the effort of installing it, I would make sure to get some good product. Installing this stuff is no fun (if you ask me, anyway). If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right. My vote goes for the SecondSkin stuff, becasue I've used it and I KNOW how well it works.
You might want to check this out:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000!

Buy you some damn good gloves that still lets you have control. That foil backing will cut the pi$$ outta ya!!!

Mike
Old 06-12-2006, 11:18 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Hey Mike, I don't think I ever thanked ya for your recommendation on the Second Skin products.

I bought 7 sheets of Damp Pro (28 sq. ft.) and 5 gallons of Spectrum. I did my entire car, every bit of the interior except behind the dash. I found the directions on this site for de-activating the seat airbags and removing the seats, so I was able to get everywhere.

It worked great!

This thread is relevant from the SS Audio forums:

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/forum...ead.php?t=1199

Old 06-13-2006, 12:13 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I worked in the R&D lab for a company that made flame retardant coatings for fabric backings on GM door panels, seats, headliners, etc. I witnessed hundreds of vertical and horizontal burn tests performed by my colleagues that worked on these projects. The most effective flame retardant compounds were those that limited oxygen (limited oxygen index or LOI) through the production of extremely toxic halogenated compounds. While they limited or even extinguished the flame the same would hold true for anyone trapped inside a car in a burning wreck.
I understand the need for soundproofing because I have Borlas on my car and there is definite drone at low rpm's. While one sound proofing product may work better than another, has anyone thoroughly researched the toxicity of these materials during combustion in a confined environment such as a car's cabin? Automobile manufacturers have strict guidelines and federally regulated specifications they must comply with. I'd think twice before coating my entire car with something that was not OEM because there's no way of knowing how it may decompose or react in a fire.
An example of what I'm talking about would be the nightclub fire in RI several years ago where the sound insulation material caught fire from a pyrotechnic display. Had the urethane foam not been there the fire more than likely would not have not started in the first place nevertheless overcome so many people so quickly. Many of the people were killed by toxic smoke NOT the fire.
I realize nobody plans on a serious car crash complete with fire but with many people here racing and going over 100 mph ya think there just might be a possibility? I just thought I'd put this out there for you to consider.
I found the following excerpt at http://www.airproducts.com/Products/...n/factoids.htm

Oxygen is very important for all living creatures. This fact makes oxygen as dangerous as it makes it important. Two major dangers are the "too low" and the "exceed" of oxygen content in the air. The normal amount should be 21%.

About too low an amount of oxygen in the air (<21%):
You can survive—
3 weeks without food

3 days without water/drinking

3 minutes without air

Only 2 breaths of air without oxygen
When the oxygen content in the air is 0%, human beings will lose consciousness at the second breath, without warning signals (pain, dizziness, etc.). If you survive, the risk of brain damage is high.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:02 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I don't think they did any flammability tests, but I know that the Sound Deadener Showdown site did do high-temperature durability tests, including some at 500 degrees F.

I would think that the flammability of the deadeners is low largely becasue of the aluminum coating. There would be very little of the rubber mat exposed to flame. The vast majority of it would be trapped between two layers of metal with no way for the flame front (or oxygen) to reach it--therefore no burning.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:45 AM
MJDGator

To truely reduce sound you need to use something like ensolite. You can put mat down first and then spray adhesive to stick the ensolite on over the mat. Email Rick at Raam Audio. He will give you plenty of suggestions for what you want to do. The Raam site also has how-to's on their site.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:28 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, if that's the configuration then it's probably not an issue. I was thinking more in line with anything that can be sprayed on which is what I thought you had done. Maybe the manufacturers do have to consider these things in their design. Hopefully they do, really not sure.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

so how much would 62sq ft of 60mil thick deadener weigh? im looking to add no more than 10lbs to deaden when i do this summer
Old 06-13-2006, 06:56 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sleeper05

so how much would 62sq ft of 60mil thick deadener weigh? im looking to add no more than 10lbs to deaden when i do this summer
That depends on who makes it--you really ought to ask the manufacturer. But it will be a lot more than 10 lbs.

There's a chart on Sound Deadener Showdown that should give you an approximation:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/

...it looks like it will be about 20-22 lbs total?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:40 PM
BradInFl
2nd Gear Member

I am also trying not to put too much weight in my car. Do you think it is worth it if I only do 20 square feet through out the trunk and under the rear seat. I decided not to get the cheap mat of ebay and get the second skin.

Quick Reply: Who here has successfully reduced exhaust drone with sound deadener?