Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Stock GT Auto Burn Out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 10:34 PM
EasyGT

Default RE: Stock GT Auto Burn Out?

do you need a tune if you get a K&N CAI? and what is a tune, im still learning so im confused.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EasyGT

do you need a tune if you get a K&N CAI? and what is a tune, im still learning so im confused.
You dont NEED a tune, but it will really help. That is the only way you will really see any significant gains. A tune generally refers to a programmer such as SCT or Diablosport Predators with which you can "tune" your car. Tune can also refer to dyno tune, but you would still need to have a programmer to tune it according to the dyno numbers and results
Old 06-14-2006, 01:00 AM
EasyGT

so would it be smarter to get a combo like brenspeed?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:04 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Thats what Im doing.. alot of people here have had great success with them.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:06 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ral8667

06GT4RAD,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not really wanting to burn out all that much. There's a guy I work with that gives me a hard time saying that the car can't break loose. Anyway, since it really can't as an auto without any mods, I thought it would be fun to try out power breaking. One of these day's I'll give it a try in a parking lot. Thanks for the instruction...

Ron
That car is able to burn the tires to the cores, the only thing stopping it is the driver. As people said, turn off traction control, press down the brake, smash down the gas and watch as the skins go up in smoke, even in Denver. Those BFG's stick pretty good, but there is ample power to over-power them.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:09 AM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I got the K&N first and later the tune because of money. I did see a diffrence with both. More with the tune. The shift firmness and throttle response alone, along with more power.
If you have 18in BFG's and a auto, the gearing with them makes it hard even with the CAI and tune and turning the traction control off to burn the tires off. Sure it will be squeeking them all the way through frist and bark them hard into 2nd, but not just burn the tires by no means. Step on the brake and ease it to 2000rpm then mash it and let go is a whole diffrent story.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:37 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

What about his rear end? I'd assume his tranny will absorb some impact.. but if one does this too often, would he be looking at getting a new rear?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:13 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

A new gear will help with burning the tires, but if your wondering if the stock will hold up to abuse, it will. I have read about people adding a lot of HP without harm.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:19 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

one thing you guys are forgetting is to put it in either first or second gear manually so it wont allow it to shift, if it shifts while not moving the tires could stop and you could seriously damage your tranny, if you shift while you are taking off or moving while burning out or chirping second gear that is not as much harm

and you should be able to do that and get on the break enough to keep the car from moving then come down on the gas, and adjust the break as needed, also when you are done if you go 1-2-3-OD off D you should be able to atleast chirp second gear if not third, cause even my stock 02 V-6 will put a strip down doing that
Old 06-15-2006, 02:25 AM
ral8667

Thanks for all of the replies on this topic. I appreciate the advice from everyone on this forum. It's amazing how much you can learn here. My wife laughs at me reading this forum every night since we got the new car. But there's so much to read!!!

Gotta to run and buy another gallon of milk. (Ya know, just some excuse to go and drive the car again...)

Take care.

Quick Reply: Stock GT Auto Burn Out?