Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

DO NOT BUY GT500 FUEL PUMPS!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 02:54 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default DO NOT BUY GT500 FUEL PUMPS!!

I should have mentioned this awhile ago but I thought everyone knew it already but another post made me realize that many are not aware of this so here it is...

Ford released the GT500 pumps to dealers as replacement pumps for inventory stock. Many dealers out of greed have been selling these pumps left and right. They are useless without the wiring harness and driver module. Ford has released only the pumps and not a single wiring harness and driver module. You may be able to find the driver module but you will be SOL to find the harness.

The ONLY place to get the entire kit (pumps, wiring harness , and driver module) is JDM engineering. JDM WILL NOT sell any pieces of the kit - only the entire kit (pumps, wiring harness, driver module) and this kit is $900. NO, in case you ask, JDM IS NOT ripping people off, they are barely even making a profit. For the record, JDM is an AWESOME company and through their connections are getting 5 kits a week until the end of summer. (ONLY 5) and are marking them up little if anything. There is NOWHERE ELSE you can get this kit.

If you buy the pumps from a dealer, ebay, etc. - THEY WILL BE NOTHING MORE THAN DOORSTOPS FOR QUITE SOME TIME.

The advantages to spending the money with JDM are simple - this is a complete drop-in kit. With the harness and driver module, this kit needs no tweaking or fabrication to work - it is truly a drop-in and go application and will give you plenty of fuel up into the 650 rwhp range.

Another option is the Ford GT supercar pumps for around $280 and these will work great but be forwarned that with these (and any dual pump set-up) it will require tweaking, tuning, and fabrication to work. My honest opinion is if you have someone who knows what they are doing with your car, go the GT supercar route, and if you're a DIY kinda guy or don't have accesss to a custom builder/tuner, shell out the clams and go with JDM.

Hope this helps someone.

Mark
Old 06-14-2006, 09:32 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: DO NOT BUY GT500 FUEL PUMPS!!

CK, I realize the need for more fuel when you're up in HP level but is there a problem with the stock fuel pumps aside from some isolated cases I've read about? How long can I expect my stock pump to last? Finally, would mods like supercharging definitely require an upgrade? I don't really know where the cut off is to merit replacing. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:44 AM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

The stock pump is fine as long as you don't need the extra fuel. Even if you put a S/C in your car you won't need a new fuel pump until your get to around 460rwhp. Then your pump will start to run out at around 5000rpms.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:38 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: GJP05

The stock pump is fine as long as you don't need the extra fuel. Even if you put a S/C in your car you won't need a new fuel pump until your get to around 460rwhp. Then your pump will start to run out at around 5000rpms.
Exactly what he said. Fuel isssues come to play with those pushing lots of power. Not a concern for under 450 hp IMO.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

So uh...here's something I would consider obvious (but maybe I missed something) if you buy a part and notice "hey this doesn't work" how can the dealer be called greedy if the part(s) get returned unused for a refund or exchange for something else. Wastes time which = money to the dealer ship to have to work on refunds exhanges I would think....
Old 06-14-2006, 02:47 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Your assuming they will let you return them.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:48 PM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

What kind of tweeking, tuning, etc do you have to do with the GT supecar pump?
Old 06-14-2006, 04:14 PM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

It has to do with the wiring of the pump. You have to mess with the wiring of the harness to get it to work with our fuel systems. It can be done but it is not a drop in replacement like the GT500 pumps.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:19 PM
john panizo

all you have to do is splice the wires from the pumps together tie in the fuel lines drop it back in and mabey a tune,that being if you have the ford gt pumps same thing as using the fuel pump that comes with the vortech kit,witch may i ad it is a return style fuel pump they supply don't get it.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:32 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

^^^+1 - I don't know why vortech send that with the kits either. Very strange/stupid. Either way, the GT500 pumps are a different animal. The GT supercar pumps do need tuning as does any dual pump set-up.

Quick Reply: DO NOT BUY GT500 FUEL PUMPS!!