Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FORD makes a CAI for 05,06

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 02:22 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: FORD makes a CAI for 05,06

ORIGINAL: StartMeUp

The website says the power upgrade package increases HP by 20 at the rear wheels for the manual transmion. That kit does include some other goodies though, mainly the muffler kit. But, it's been stated on the forums before that mufflers really don't give you more power on the 06-06's. So, it would be my guess that it's the CAI that's adding all of the ponies.

I posted before asking if anyone had this kit because I'm interested in it myself. Yeah the others probably add more power but this one looks sharp (IMO) and it says "Ford Racing" on it.
20 hp is not much at all for an intake on our cars, there are intakes boasting 35 hp.. why not go with a cheaper intake that gives more hp? just makes more sense to me..
Old 06-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

I read a good thread about this recently, it was explained that there is a consultant (Ford employee) that comes by the dealerships to verify warranty claims. If that person deems that there is a mod that caused the failure, then the repair will not be done under warranty. The dealership is bound to follow the direction of this "expert". You can take whatever paper you want to the dealership, it's not going to help unless you talk to the "expert", and since he travels around the region it's probably very difficult to corner him. So what is your recourse? You can sue the dealership, but imagine what kind of costs would be involved with that, and in the end you might lose anyway. For example, if you have a CAI and tune and you burn a valve, it is unlikely they would repair it under warranty as a lean tune could very well cause a problem like this. If you sue it wouldn't be difficult for the dealership to show that the mod -could- have led to the failure. They don't have to prove that it -did-, they only need to instill some doubt. Now maybe if you have a lawyer contact them they will decide it's easier to do the repair then go through with legal proceedings.

The bottom line is don't expect the Magnuson-Moss act to save your bacon on warranty repairs on a modded car, it won't. Don't expect your dealership to quake in fear because you place a big stack of paper on their counter, they won't. You really have to decide for yourself if performance mod's are worth giving up some warranty protection.

It should be noted that mod's do not void your entire warranty as is sometimes said around here. They only open the door to warranty repairs being rejected on the basis of the mod. If you have a CAI and tune and blow your rearend, it is highly likely the dealership wouldn't think twice about repairing it because the two aren't related.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:32 PM
STLRedbird
1st Gear Member

I was at the dealership today to schedule the installation of the shaker hoodscoop - I gotta have one. Anyway, I talked to the manager of the service dept. about mods and warranties. He said that it is getting more common for Ford to blame a repair on mods generally and cold air intakes specifically. So I asked if you were any better off from this standpoint if you bought one of the Ford performance packs and maybe had the dealership install it. He said no and showed me the disclaimer in the Ford Racing catalog. Like it was said in another thread, Ford dealerships are a dime a dozen so I guess I need to find a better one.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:08 AM
scubadog
I ♥ Acer

+1 on the bookmark big time!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:59 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scubadog

+1 on the bookmark big time!
I wrote a whole post on this issue, its now in the stickies of the main 2005/2006 section, FYI
Old 06-21-2006, 02:39 AM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=8986

Is 20 peak horse power the same as 20 wheel hp?

here are the stats listed on the Ford Web site for the FR Power Upgrade package..
With

* Mild street manners

* Throatier exhaust

* New mass air meter

* Exclusive Ford Racing calibration

* Approximately 20 peak horsepower

* Easy bolt-on can be done in your driveway

------------------------------------------------------------

M-2005-FR1
For drivers who want to power up and still maintain mild street manners, the Power Upgrade Package offers a slightly throatier exhaust note and a new mass air meter with calibration. The result is approximately 20 horsepower! With the Power Upgrade Packages easy bolt-ons, it takes just an afternoon in the driveway to install. The Power Upgrade Package includes the Ford Racing Flash Tuner to ensure proper calibration.
# Fits 2005 Mustang GT with 5-speed transmission and factory 3.55 gear ratio
# Kit includes:
90mm Cold Air Kit M-9603-GT05
Muffler Kit M-5230-GTA
Performance Oil Filter CM-6731-FL820
# Premium fuel only
# Includes the Pro-Cal tool with official Ford Racing calibration
# Approximate increase of 20 horsepower at the rear wheels
# 50-States "Street Legal" (E.O. #D-598)
Old 06-21-2006, 02:40 AM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

i bet the performance is not as good as other aftermarket systems because Ford made this 50 state legal.....
Old 06-21-2006, 03:24 PM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

just talked to tech at Ford Racing. It is not 20 hp to the rear wheels as stated above. It is 20 hp to the flywheel. Thus I imagine you will lose hp through the transmission... etc....

anyone have any dyno information or better information on this package???.. it is the same one that comes on the Shelby mustang rentals from Hertz...
Old 06-21-2006, 04:24 PM
StartMeUp
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

ORIGINAL: StartMeUp

The website says the power upgrade package increases HP by 20 at the rear wheels for the manual transmion. That kit does include some other goodies though, mainly the muffler kit. But, it's been stated on the forums before that mufflers really don't give you more power on the 06-06's. So, it would be my guess that it's the CAI that's adding all of the ponies.

I posted before asking if anyone had this kit because I'm interested in it myself. Yeah the others probably add more power but this one looks sharp (IMO) and it says "Ford Racing" on it.
20 hp is not much at all for an intake on our cars, there are intakes boasting 35 hp.. why not go with a cheaper intake that gives more hp? just makes more sense to me..
Yeah, good point. Especially if FRPP CAI can void your warranty. I'd still consider the one from FRPP if I was looking for a modest HP gain, good looks and wanted the tune to come from the people who built the car.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I read about the CAI in my new Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords and they actually lost horsepower with the set up. Man go to www.brenspeed.com and let them sell you one. They have more than one to chose from and they all work.

Quick Reply: FORD makes a CAI for 05,06