Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Can this be true?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 12:37 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Can this be true?

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

Perhaps Brent has the video?
A video only proves that his car went 12.8, it wouldn't prove what was done to the car. The amount of horsepower required to get our cars into the 12's exceeds what a CAI, Tune and Mufflers provides. I can't imagine getting a full second or more from this combo (I WISH!!), can you? I'm not trying to diss Brent but I hate it when claims are made that are so obviously not true. Even a factory freak wouldn't make enough HP to get into the 12's with what amounts to a 20 to 25 RWHP upgrade.

I'd be happy to hear from Brent, if someone knows him and can get him to explain how his GT with just a CAI, Tune and Mufflers is able to run with Terminator Cobra's with a car that weighs a bit more, and makes 60hp less minimum, I'm all ears, or eyes so to speak.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:40 AM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

I bet with a set of slicks they could run 12.8s. Some cars drop a second when you can get the really good holeshot. My dad had a W31 in highschool that would run 12.8's on wrinkle walls, but 14 seconds flat on wide radials.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:58 AM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

The cobra makes more power but it weighs about 200lbs more. The curb weight for our cars is around 3450 while the cobra weighs in at 3665. It also has the IRS to deal with, which is great for handling but not so good for drag strip runs. Now I don't see why you think it is so impposible when your trap speed is equal to Brent's.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:01 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006RedGT

I bet with a set of slicks they could run 12.8s. Some cars drop a second when you can get the really good holeshot. My dad had a W31 in highschool that would run 12.8's on wrinkle walls, but 14 seconds flat on wide radials.
I give up, then the '03 Cobra can run 11's stock and Einstein was clueless... oh yeah, and W31's could run 12's with wrinkle walls....

No holeshot will ever drop an ET a full second unless the car has the power to run in the 12's to begin with, meaning of course MANY PEOPLE CAN DUPLICATE THE EFFORT... Our cars DO NOT make enough power to run 12's with a CAI, Tune and Mufflers, an '03 Cobra can easily get into the 12's, yes, ours no, a W31 stock no way on God's green earth will run 12's unless something ELSE was done to it not just slicks.

Next thing you know a Prius will run 15's with a wrinkle wall bike tire....
Old 06-21-2006, 01:06 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GJP05

The cobra makes more power but it weighs about 200lbs more. The curb weight for our cars is around 3450 while the cobra weighs in at 3665. It also has the IRS to deal with, which is great for handling but not so good for drag strip runs. Now I don't see why you think it is so impposible when your trap speed is equal to Brent's.
So now our cars have lost weight and the Cobra's have gained weight... lets see, an '03 CObra... 390 crank hp and 3600lbs, my car weighs 3560 and makes maybe 325 crank hp but it stands a chance to run as good as the Cobra. Not in this lifetime.

Yes, my car runs about the same trap speed as Brent's but that does not mean my car has 12's in it at full weight with street tires and 3.55 gears, maybe a 13.3 with a perfect launch and great tires, but no way a 12.8.

Are we so gullable that we believe our cars to be that fast with so little done to them?
Old 06-21-2006, 01:15 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

I think Brent addressed this already in a past issue. He claims it is true. He was running street slicks or slicks at the time and it was a hard launch at very high RPM. I think he said 5 grand or so.

Seems a bit of a stretch. But if he ran the time and is not BS ing. God bless him. But I wouldent expect times like that without a ton of track time, a really nice day, a perfect launch, and some sticky tires.

But I have seen a couple guys turn 13-13.2, on 18" street tires with a tune and intake, so you never know. Best stock times I have seen are 13.5's so knocking off .3-.5 for 30 RWHP doesent seem too unreasonable. Add slicks and good conditions and driver and it might be possible.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:25 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: classj

I think Brent addressed this already in a past issue. He claims it is true. He was running street slicks or slicks at the time and it was a hard launch at very high RPM. I think he said 5 grand or so.

Seems a bit of a stretch. But if he ran the time and is not BS ing. God bless him. But I wouldent expect times like that without a ton of track time, a really nice day, a perfect launch, and some sticky tires.

But I have seen a couple guys turn 13-13.2, on 18" street tires with a tune and intake, so you never know. Best stock times I have seen are 13.5's so knocking off .3-.5 for 30 RWHP doesent seem too unreasonable. Add slicks and good conditions and driver and it might be possible.
classj,

To not be a total dick I'll say if Brent says he did it I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but I'll still be doubting it... this means we have a lot of under performing Cobra's running around.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:32 AM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viking396

ORIGINAL: GJP05

So now our cars have lost weight and the Cobra's have gained weight... lets see, an '03 CObra... 390 crank hp and 3600lbs, my car weighs 3560 and makes maybe 325 crank hp but it stands a chance to run as good as the Cobra. Not in this lifetime.

Yes, my car runs about the same trap speed as Brent's but that does not mean my car has 12's in it at full weight with street tires and 3.55 gears, maybe a 13.3 with a perfect launch and great tires, but no way a 12.8.

Are we so gullable that we believe our cars to be that fast with so little done to them?
Have you actually put your car on the dyno? You should see closer to 25rwhp gain with the CAI and tune. When I had mine on the dyno it made 267rwhp stock and just over 290rwhp with the CAI and tune. Now why in the world is your car so heavy? I have weighed mine after the built engine and S/C and it weighs about the same as what you say yours weighs. Your ET is just on par with what our cars can run stock but your trap speed is much higher so your ET should be better then what they are. Now you have to remember that every run is different especially since there are so many variables that will affect your times.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:45 AM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

One question I have about this claim: which tune was Brent running? I know Evolution Performance offers his Extreme tunes just for running at the track. Is is possible Brent did the same thing and that's what got his times down so low?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:22 AM
06VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

What is so hard to believe here? If he says he did it I believe it. What reason is there to lie about it? It's not that far fetched if you drive your car hard. I think his car might have had a gear in it too. Did you ever read in Muscle Mustangs about the JDM 05'? They ran 12.45 with 6 mods and no CAI. It's not that difficult to see it in my opinion. By the way the car I'm speaking of weighed in at 3640 with the driver.

Quick Reply: Can this be true?