Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

x or H pype without cats. Does anyone have one here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 07:20 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default x or H pype without cats. Does anyone have one here?

May I have some advise on the two. I heard the H gives more low end torque where as the x is better on the top end. However do they really give you more because the elimination of the cats. All pypes owners who care to respond please do.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11318/ECC7C0B607D749818BE936914B1ED010.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11318/0C66D8E6DBCF4C139BD5D697D97A95D2.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-20-2006, 08:42 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: x or H pype without cats. Does anyone have one here?

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

May I have some advise on the two. I heard the H gives more low end torque where as the x is better on the top end. However do they really give you more because the elimination of the cats. All pypes owners who care to respond please do.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11318/ECC7C0B607D749818BE936914B1ED010.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11318/0C66D8E6DBCF4C139BD5D697D97A95D2.gif[/IMG]
I dont own one, but I plan on buying the Pypes H pretty soon. I just bought my SLP LM's about a week ago and I love them. I heard a video of the SLP's with the Pypes H and OMG... its insane. It makes it so much deeper. The stock GT exhaust has an H pipe in it but it also has the cats. Im pretty sure the Pypes H is a wider connection too. From what Ive heard on videos and heard people say, the X gives more of a raspier sound where as the H gives a deeper more grumbling sound. I prefer the old muscle car grumble so Im going with the H. Ive also read that the SLP LM's and the Pypes H is like the loudest exhaust combo available. As far as power, the X is supposed to give more HP but its not that much of a difference, its more of a sound preference. I would rather go with the deeper sound than have 4 HP more and sound like a ricer.. JMO though.

If anyone owns one of these Id love to hear your thoughts on them
Old 06-20-2006, 09:59 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

X pipes are too raspy for me. I like the H pipes or no crossover at all for a really burbling exhaust.

I hear that other than the sound of the car changing, there really isnt too much to be gained by removing the cats. But it may be worth it for the sound.

I would like to hear a GT with stock mufflers and an O/R h pipe. I think that would truly be a very 60's sound. Not too loud, but nice and burbly.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Brenspeed told me that I would gain horsepower without the cats and since I have my tune from there it would be a free tune for the pipe. Does anyone know how much horsepower we are talking here? My dealer said it would cancel my warranty but that's bullshi*. And I know he couldn't prove that a fuc&ing pipe can hurt the engine. Man please![:@]
Old 06-20-2006, 10:55 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

Brenspeed told me that I would gain horsepower without the cats and since I have my tune from there it would be a free tune for the pipe. Does anyone know how much horsepower we are talking here? My dealer said it would cancel my warranty but that's bullshi*. And I know he couldn't prove that a fuc&ing pipe can hurt the engine. Man please![:@]
Cant cancel the warranty on anything except the exhaust system (which youre replacing anyways). Wouldnt buy an O/R pipe though if you have emissions tests in your state
Old 06-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

No, we aren't even tested for a state inspection. Haven't been for years.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:15 PM
silverstang06
2nd Gear Member

xpipe makes a mustang sound ricey?......no

i have an xpipe with LTH and borla stingers...trust me, it sounds freaking spectacular.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:30 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Like I said Ive never heard them in person, just heard the X is really raspy.. to me raspy = rice.. This is just from what I heard from people though, so dont think Im tryin to argue.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:17 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

Brent told that to me too when I talked to him about his tune last week. I just am not into dropping my exhaust every 4 years for inspection here in NJ. It already annoys me enought when I have to go.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:15 AM
Fly
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: classj

I would like to hear a GT with stock mufflers and an O/R h pipe. I think that would truly be a very 60's sound. Not too loud, but nice and burbly.
I thought the same thing, but unfortunately it ain't so. I have that setup with JBA long tubes and it is raspy, (yep, H) and much louder than you would think. Bad for me because my car looks absolutely stock with no exterior mods whatsover, but the loud exhaust kind of shows my cards to any would be takers. The plus side I guess, is that with the growl of the cold air intake combined with that exhaust setup, it does sound pretty wicked when you shower down on it.

Quick Reply: x or H pype without cats. Does anyone have one here?