Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

what about headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 06:33 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what about headers

ORIGINAL: csabo

I was thinking about putting on the dynatech long tube headers with cats and x pipe. Does this require a tune, and is it true you have to lift the engint to put long tubes in?
As far as I know, it doesnt *REQUIRE* a tune, but in order to get your full HP gains you do need to tune for it. Any of the major shops should be able to help you out with this, no problem. I called Brenspeed (where I bought my SCT-II from) and he hooked me up, no charge.

You don't need to "lift" the engine per se, though you do need to support it while you work under it. I used a bottle jack and a 2x4 to hold it up. You don't have to move the engine any, you're just taking the weight off of the motor mounts while you do some of the work. It's really simple.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Red_Stallion
2nd Gear Member

I've been reading up a lot on the header debate and have pretty much decided to go with the SLP long tubes ~$780. What I haven't been able to find out is if they void the engine warranty. I was specifically told by my dealer I could do anything with the exhaust cats back, but anything else would void the warranty. Can anybody confirm or deny that statement for me? Otherwise the SLP site says that they work with all factory emissions equipment.

That being said what I'm think is SLP LT's, stock cats, stock H pipe, mufflers...without voiding warranty??
Old 06-25-2006, 07:25 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

I went with the Dynatech setup. It is awesome! Great quality and fit. With a lift and the right tools, it took me 3.5 hours. As for lifting the engine, you have to remove the motor mounts which requires lifting the engine about 3 inches to get the mounts over the studs. Really, the price isn't bad if you consider the fact that you get the L/T's, cats, x-pipe, bolts, gaskets and the 4 o2 extension cables in the kit. I got mine for a hair over 1300 from mustangwarehouse.com.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:48 PM
PRGT
2nd Gear Member

I have Borla Headers plus the catback. It sounds amazing. IMO.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:27 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Red_Stallion

I've been reading up a lot on the header debate and have pretty much decided to go with the SLP long tubes ~$780. What I haven't been able to find out is if they void the engine warranty. I was specifically told by my dealer I could do anything with the exhaust cats back, but anything else would void the warranty. Can anybody confirm or deny that statement for me? Otherwise the SLP site says that they work with all factory emissions equipment.

That being said what I'm think is SLP LT's, stock cats, stock H pipe, mufflers...without voiding warranty??

Read your Owner's Manual for warranty information. According to the warranty wording, literally *ANY* "modification" voids your warranty. Taking it 100% literally, if you install an aftermarket GAS CAP then you've voided the warranty. However, IN PRACTICE, it comes down to how nice your dealer is. I would say that a friendly dealer won't void your warranty for headers. I talked to my dealer, they are OK with it. However, some people on the forum have had problems with their dealer about more minor mods. So it comes down to what YOUR dealer thinks. I suggest asking them. Technically the Magnuson-Moss act is on your side, but that doesn't mean that the dealer will or won't cooperate with you.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:56 AM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

Just a note to guys using Dynatech Cats, becareful. a friend of mine had his melt and he was using an KB setup. I have also heard of vetts running into the same issue with using some boost. If your planning 10psi+ you might want to stick with stock cats or let her all out.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:32 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

In your friend's case, did Dynatech cover the replacement under warranty? Seems like it should have been but I think you just convinced me to go with a catless system when I start going with boost.
ORIGINAL: lostsoul

Just a note to guys using Dynatech Cats, becareful. a friend of mine had his melt and he was using an KB setup. I have also heard of vetts running into the same issue with using some boost. If your planning 10psi+ you might want to stick with stock cats or let her all out.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Red_Stallion
2nd Gear Member

CrazyAl, I know about Magnuson-Moss for the States, but I am not familiar with the equivalent for Canada. But I think it's time that investigated another dealership, I had posted several months back that my dealer was going to void my warranty for having them install a K&N oil filter. With much arguing I finally agreed to have them not install it and I haven't racked up enough clicks for the next change yet, but I will try another dealer, maybe have a good talk with the service manager.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:48 PM
raybroussard
1st Gear Member

I installed these shorty headers on my car and I am satisfied with the results, no huge gains here but I feel the difference, seems to let my car breathe better in the upper RPM's.

here is the link:

http://216.178.81.107/iwwida.pvx?;it...0%201?comp=ppe
Old 06-26-2006, 01:26 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Another thing to consider when changing out headers is if you're planning on adding a turbo later on it won't work with long tubes. Just something to think about for those considering going the turbo route someday.

Quick Reply: what about headers