Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Auto....Manual...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:51 PM
V6MustangKnight
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Auto....Manual...

mans got a point....
Old 06-26-2006, 10:59 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: V6MustangKnight

u have 4 shifting options...

1(IF u start in first u can shift shift like a manual, so u would start in first)
2(<--shift to second)
3(<--then third)
D(IF u start off in D then it'll shift all gears for u)

(u can shift exept ur just shifting up) u pretty much have 1st 2nd and 3rd gears.....but once u shift to D ur done, u cant shift beyond that.....its auto once u hit D (shifts 4th and 5th).....u still get to shift, just not the full experience, but i heard that if i were to change my auto to manual, it'll cost alot...ur better off trying to switch it for a manual....thats what i heard. but i mean, if ur gonna have fun and race u have an advantage over manuals, they might have a bit more hp but they they lose tenths of a second shifting to ur auto... use the 1st 2nd and 3rd shifts on ur car....its good cuz u cant miss the gear! haha, thats how i see it
You can also put it in D and turn O/D off with the button on the right of the shifter, and it shifts more agressively and stays in 4th gear! If I really want to haul *** that is what I do.

Mike
Old 06-26-2006, 11:05 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

Is it possible to make my auto into a manual? Just wondering because yeah Ive heard the statements that the pro driver only got .1 second faster in the manual than the auto but still.. I guess I feel like Im missing half the fun of having a muscle car because mine is an auto. Yeah its fun to drive because I dont have to shift but hell.. I know how to drive a manual and Im the only driver, I have no reason not to have a manual... sooo am I screwed or is there still hope for me?
Have you put a tune in your car with an SCT2? If not, that will not only wake up your engine, but it will also allow you to adjust shift pressure (25%) in all gears and that gives you a nice firm quick shift. Good for a 1-2 or 2-3 bark of the tires!

I almost forgot...it also allows you to change the shift points and set the rev limiters.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 06-26-2006, 11:07 PM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

Or just wait a couple of more months for B&M Racing's Auto-shifter for our auto tranny to hit production. Then you can shift like the german cars if you want , or leave in on the other side for just plain old drive. Like the old "Jack and Jill" shifters of the 70's. I'm stoked about this mod coming out.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:11 PM
V6MustangKnight
2nd Gear Member

sounds like a "MUST HAVE" toy!!
Old 06-27-2006, 02:36 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

And as far as the shifting on the fly, I was told that changing your gears like that in an auto while youre moving can screw up the gears and actually rip the "teeth" off of them...
Automatics operate substantially different than manuals. There is a planetary gearset at the core, but it is virtually impossible to damage any of the gears or gear teeth. There are a series of clutches that are operated hydraulically, so even on an older (non computer controlled) car when you downshift it shifts fluid through different channels to activate the appropriate clutches which then changes the gearset relationship to result in the final gear change. In other words, there is a set amount of time for a gear change no matter how fast you move the selector, and the tranny never screws up a shift like a human being can do with a manual tranny. And to take it yet one more step, the Mustang auto tranny is not directly controlled by you anyway. It shifts through the computer. If you change gears, you're basically making a request to the computer and it decides whether it can shift or if you have lost your mind (like shifting to first gear while traveling 100 mph). If the computer determines it is not safe to make the shift, it will ignore your input. So shift manually to your heart's delight, you're not going to hurt the tranny. I've been shifting mine manually practically daily for 25k miles now. Also check out the auto shifter B&M is working on, it will make driving an automatic a little more fun. Plus it'll allow you to put whatever shifter **** you want in your auto car. Hurst T-handle, etc.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:55 AM
V6MustangKnight
2nd Gear Member

good info man
Old 06-27-2006, 02:56 AM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

Hey Tres! Hangin' with your new V8 buddies? Don't forget your old sixer friends when that GT of yours shows up. I look forward to your posts.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:26 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

LOL! Yeah, I've got to come over here and brain-drain these guys so I know what to order for the GT before it arrives
Old 06-27-2006, 04:37 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

And as far as the shifting on the fly, I was told that changing your gears like that in an auto while youre moving can screw up the gears and actually rip the "teeth" off of them...
Automatics operate substantially different than manuals. There is a planetary gearset at the core, but it is virtually impossible to damage any of the gears or gear teeth. There are a series of clutches that are operated hydraulically, so even on an older (non computer controlled) car when you downshift it shifts fluid through different channels to activate the appropriate clutches which then changes the gearset relationship to result in the final gear change. In other words, there is a set amount of time for a gear change no matter how fast you move the selector, and the tranny never screws up a shift like a human being can do with a manual tranny. And to take it yet one more step, the Mustang auto tranny is not directly controlled by you anyway. It shifts through the computer. If you change gears, you're basically making a request to the computer and it decides whether it can shift or if you have lost your mind (like shifting to first gear while traveling 100 mph). If the computer determines it is not safe to make the shift, it will ignore your input. So shift manually to your heart's delight, you're not going to hurt the tranny. I've been shifting mine manually practically daily for 25k miles now. Also check out the auto shifter B&M is working on, it will make driving an automatic a little more fun. Plus it'll allow you to put whatever shifter **** you want in your auto car. Hurst T-handle, etc.
Even on my '78 Olds (which has no computer) the manual says that you can put the gear selector in L1 or L2 at any time, but the tranny won't actually downshift until the car is below a certain speed. Then it won't allow upshift until you put it back in drive (or L2 from L1, then drive).

Anyway, that automatic tranny downshift technology has been around before computers were put in cars.