Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Auto....Manual...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 06:26 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default Auto....Manual...

Is it possible to make my auto into a manual? Just wondering because yeah Ive heard the statements that the pro driver only got .1 second faster in the manual than the auto but still.. I guess I feel like Im missing half the fun of having a muscle car because mine is an auto. Yeah its fun to drive because I dont have to shift but hell.. I know how to drive a manual and Im the only driver, I have no reason not to have a manual... sooo am I screwed or is there still hope for me?
Old 06-26-2006, 06:28 AM
V6MustangKnight
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Auto....Manual...

i think it'll cost u a bit, but u still have shifting options on ur car....its just u cant shift past 3rd...thats all
Old 06-26-2006, 06:32 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: V6MustangKnight

i think it'll cost u a bit, but u still have shifting options on ur car....its just u cant shift past 3rd...thats all
What do you mean?
Old 06-26-2006, 06:40 AM
V6MustangKnight
2nd Gear Member

u have 4 shifting options...

1(IF u start in first u can shift shift like a manual, so u would start in first)
2(<--shift to second)
3(<--then third)
D(IF u start off in D then it'll shift all gears for u)

(u can shift exept ur just shifting up) u pretty much have 1st 2nd and 3rd gears.....but once u shift to D ur done, u cant shift beyond that.....its auto once u hit D (shifts 4th and 5th).....u still get to shift, just not the full experience, but i heard that if i were to change my auto to manual, it'll cost alot...ur better off trying to switch it for a manual....thats what i heard. but i mean, if ur gonna have fun and race u have an advantage over manuals, they might have a bit more hp but they they lose tenths of a second shifting to ur auto... use the 1st 2nd and 3rd shifts on ur car....its good cuz u cant miss the gear! haha, thats how i see it
Old 06-26-2006, 09:36 AM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

You can convert to a stick, either the TR3650, or the "aftermarket" 6 speed. The stock 5 speed, with the pedal config, and tranny install, would be (I'm guessing) around $3K. The computor will need reprogrammed also.
I'd recommend you use a good FORD Dealer to do this, to avoid warranty issues.
You might consider trading for a stick, as the cost difference might be less than the conversion.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:06 AM
JewStangGT
2nd Gear Member

+1

It is definatly possibl;e, but it is also very expensive. If your local ford dealer doesn't install parts like that, aehv roush, saleen, or steeda do it for you. They are liscensed ford installers, and will keep your warenty from disipating.

good luck...mine is manual, and I love it.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:06 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

This cant be too good for your transmission can it?? Shifting on the fly like that?
ORIGINAL: V6MustangKnight

u have 4 shifting options...

1(IF u start in first u can shift shift like a manual, so u would start in first)
2(<--shift to second)
3(<--then third)
D(IF u start off in D then it'll shift all gears for u)

(u can shift exept ur just shifting up) u pretty much have 1st 2nd and 3rd gears.....but once u shift to D ur done, u cant shift beyond that.....its auto once u hit D (shifts 4th and 5th).....u still get to shift, just not the full experience, but i heard that if i were to change my auto to manual, it'll cost alot...ur better off trying to switch it for a manual....thats what i heard. but i mean, if ur gonna have fun and race u have an advantage over manuals, they might have a bit more hp but they they lose tenths of a second shifting to ur auto... use the 1st 2nd and 3rd shifts on ur car....its good cuz u cant miss the gear! haha, thats how i see it
Old 06-26-2006, 10:49 AM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

UH, it's already doin' that now. The "flyshifting" thing.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

Basically your better off selling your mustang and buying a manual. $3000 isn't worth the install, youll save more money if you sell your stang and buy a new one.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:56 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

No, manualy shifting an auto doesn't hurt it. If it did, mine would be broke in all the auto's I had. I do it a lot.