Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Axleback Borlas (or Ford Racing)- drone or no drone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Default Axleback Borlas (or Ford Racing)- drone or no drone?

Sorry to torture you guys with yet another axleback question, I promise I used the "search" feature and read through a gazillion threads before posting this But the info on Borlas was conflicting regarding drone, some say they have it and some say they don't. So I'd like to hear from those that have the Borla or Ford Racing axlebacks with an otherwise stock exhaust (no X-pipe or headers), do you have drone, and if so, how bad is it? I would especially like to hear from vert owners concerning top-down drone at freeway speeds. I've got an '07 GT vert on order and am down to going with with either the Corsas or the Borlas. The Corsas clearly have no drone from all the comments I've read, but I really do not like the stubby tip length on the Corsas. The Borla tips are much more attractive. This decision is going to come down to what I hear from you guys though, if the Borlas have drone and it's bothersome (especially with the top down), I'll go with the Corsas. I don't mind a little drone, but not the kind that you can feel in your teeth and prevents conversation Many thanks for any feedback you can provide!
Old 06-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Axleback Borlas (or Ford Racing)- drone or no drone?

I do get some drone from 1500-2000 rpm which is basically from 50-65ish crusing in fifth, but I personally don't mind it. But I don't have a vert. I would think it would be less with the top down since the sound has somewhere to travel instead of reflecting in the interior. I don't think I'll be taking off the cats anytime soon but I can't wait to put on some L/Ts and high flow cats.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:49 PM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

I have a stock setup with ford racing/borla stinger axel backs. I do have some mild drone around 60-70mph in 5th gear. I don't mind it. I picked these for the nice looking tips and sound. I agree it would probably less noticable in a vert.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:55 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I definitely have drone with my Borlas but having the top down doesn't make a difference. If anything I think it's better when the tops down. I've heard the drone is caused by low frequency sound waves and everyone says X pipes make a higher pitch. Right now I'm running Borla cat backs with the rest stock. I've a Borla header system with X pipe ordered so I'm hoping it won't get worse. In the meantime I already have a brand new Bassani X pipe I can have installed to see how that effects things. Don't really want to pay for a temporary installation and then have to sell it as used so I probably won't bother.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Guys, thank you very much for the comments!!

BoidMorphs, how good/ bad is the drone in your opinion? Is it just something that's there or does it bother you? Drone is kind of a subjective thing, some people have higher tolerance for it than others. I can use as many opinions as I can get
Old 06-26-2006, 08:34 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I have the Borla Cat-Backs and I have a slight drone that is no big deal, although I drive a coupe. Now on the other hand my father has a vert and he absolutely hates the drone, he actually wanted to put the stock exhaust back on but I convinced him not to. He then ordered and X-Pipe and High-Flow Cats, which didn't really effect the situation whatsoever. He has since then put 4.10 Gears which eliminated the drone at the lower RPMs and helped his situation. The only thing he still dislikes is the massive drone on the highway which even gets to me (this is all with the top up).

Hope this helps

-Jeff
Old 06-26-2006, 08:48 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Well, first of all you have to realize the drone's only there at a certain rpm range which in my set up with 4.10 gears is at around 2,000 plus or minus a few hundred. On the highway or around town shifting gears you're not in that range for very long. It's usually at it's worst if the engine is under load like going up an incline in to high a gear. You won't waste any time downshifting to get out of the range ASAP. Everywhere else it's great and I love the sound of the Borlas. My wife doesn't mind the drone probably because she doesn't know any better lol. Given a choice, of course I'd rather there be no drone at all. I think what you want to know is, would I choose another muffler system because of it? Only if it sounded as good everywhere and was of the same quality craftsmanship. I'm not sorry I bought them but I would like to reduce the drone a bit. I'm hoping a change in the midpipe to an X configuration may help since an X pipe doesn't give as low a tone. I'll know soon enough and will report my findings.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:16 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Yes there is Drone as others have said but it only seem to be at the lower speeds in the 18-2000 RPM's range . I have not experienced any drone what so ever at highway speeds in fact it is very quiet then. Also the mufflers do break in and the drone does lessens lightly. I do not mind it at all because they sound so good.

Richard
Old 06-27-2006, 01:35 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Thanks again, your comments have been very helpful! Sounds like the drone isn't as big a deal as I was thinking it might be.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:39 AM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

I've had the Ford Racing/Borla stingers for about 5 months and have gotten used to the drone. There isn't much difference in drone with the top or with it down although they are a bit louder with the top down. There are some times when the drone is more noticable like at night when there are only a few cars on the road. It's only there for that certain rpm range, but you can speed up slightly and it will go away. It's not that hard to hold a conversation with the person next to you either IMO. Plus the Borlas are a lot cheaper than the Corsas.

Quick Reply: Axleback Borlas (or Ford Racing)- drone or no drone?