Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long tubes versus shorties

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:45 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

Default Long tubes versus shorties

I don't know a lot about headers, and am wondering should I go with shorties, or long tubes on an '05 GT. What are the benefits/drawbacks of both. I haven't done any exhaust upgrades yet, and just want to get started in the right direction.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:56 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Long tubes versus shorties

Shorties will give you very little h/p gain. The factory castings are pretty efficient. Long tubes are definately the way to go. I was VERY impressed with the Dynatech setup I personally used. I have put a couple other brands on for people and the Dynatechs were by far the best fitting and great quality. It is also an all inclusive kit with the x-pipe, cats, bolts, gaskets and o2 extension cables. JMO from experience.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:02 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

Do you have to pull the engine to install the long tubes, or can you squeeze them in with it installed? Do you think I could install long tubes in my garage without a lift, or should I take it to a shop and have it done. I'm pretty mechanically inclined (army helicopter mechanic for 4 years), but don't want to take a chance of ****'n up my baby.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:11 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jaiasmit

Do you have to pull the engine to install the long tubes, or can you squeeze them in with it installed? Do you think I could install long tubes in my garage without a lift, or should I take it to a shop and have it done. I'm pretty mechanically inclined (army helicopter mechanic for 4 years), but don't want to take a chance of ****'n up my baby.
I did it on a lift in 3.5 hours, but it could be done on jackstands. You have to jack the engine up a couple of inches to remove the mounts. The Dynatech set has awesome and precise instructions with color pics. With your experience, you should have no problem.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:17 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

Sweet! Thanks for the additional info. I'm going out to check out the Dynatech system now.

Also, for others that are interested, I ran across another post with the same basic questions, and lots of good info.

What about headers
Old 06-27-2006, 12:51 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

What do the long tubes connect into? If the shortys mount right up to the down pipe then what do I have to add/remove to use a LT? b/c I like the H pipe. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:08 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

It depends on the particular L/T's. The Dynatech has a 4 bolt flange. It is all inclusive. Some have an open end collector that you can adapt your h-pipe to if you loose or relocate the cats.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28178/90BD43894C1E4C4CAC3543FC51846635.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-27-2006, 03:39 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Wow, thanks for that picture Musicity, I pic is worth a thousand words!
Old 06-27-2006, 03:50 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

How loud are they. Sound clips just don't give an idea and that is assuming using something other than SLP loudmouths. I like somewhat loud, but not so that you can't listen to the radio taking a leisure drive. I know that is a somewhat hard question..
Old 06-27-2006, 03:59 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

Shorties are what's on your car now so don't expect drastic performance from swapping to the same thing under a different name. The l/t's are the only way to go for performance and the only choice worth the $$ IMO. There's actually only a single drawback to the l/t -

If you're going to do any clutch or tranny work, do it now. Once the l/t's are in, they have to be removed every time you need to get to the clutch or tranny and that is a PIA. All the l/t's out there are pretty equal in actual performance so your decision on which one should be based on looks and personal opinion.

Quick Reply: Long tubes versus shorties