Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Easy Inexpensive HORSE POWER!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:52 PM
ShawnyB

Default Easy Inexpensive HORSE POWER!

If you are starting with the stock GT:
*Forget the $400 reprogrammer, forget the $300: shorty headers and 02 extenders,forget the $50 throttle spacers and forget $300+ throttle bodies
*Remove the emmissions cartridge in the air intake pipe , pick up a gauze air filter (K+N,S+B etc) $40 , cut hole in front of airbox facing front of car . Excessive heat may cause detonation so only cut on tne front of the box. FREE increased air flow!
*JET #70502 computer module $200 at LMperformance.com 17+ HP and 10 minutes to install or uninstall.
*Flow-Tech Axleback exhaust $200 at Jegs.com - No great HP gain - but sounds better than stock!
*Change the motor mounts ,Prothane,Granatelli etc...- a stiffer mount = more (5+) HP to the wheels. Ave. $140+ various sites

************************************************** *****************************

Old 06-26-2006, 11:04 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Easy Inexpensive HORSE POWER!

i personally think JET chips are garbage. maybe they are better now but a few years ago i tried installing one in a customers 5.0...three times! after the third time (it wouldn't even start the third time) they gave him his money back and we put an anderson ford PMS on it and it was a rocket. after that experience i won't use their product again. also unless they have changed the mass air transfer function then cutting holes in the airbox will actually kill power. the problem is these cars are so sensitive to changes it makes getting a "good" tuner a necessity not an option. i would like to know what that car runs with those changes and how much each change gained if any.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:07 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

You really should have taken the extra 20 minutes and fixed the warp in that KSR grill before you took close up front view pictures of your car.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:19 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShawnyB

If you are starting with the stock GT:
*Forget the $400 reprogrammer, forget the $300: shorty headers and 02 extenders,forget the $50 throttle spacers and forget $300+ throttle bodies
*Remove the emmissions cartridge in the air intake pipe , pick up a gauze air filter (K+N,S+B etc) $40 , cut hole in front of airbox facing front of car . Excessive heat may cause detonation so only cut on tne front of the box. FREE increased air flow!
*JET #70502 computer module $200 at LMperformance.com 17+ HP and 10 minutes to install or uninstall.
*Flow-Tech Axleback exhaust $200 at Jegs.com - No great HP gain - but sounds better than stock!
*Change the motor mounts ,Prothane,Granatelli etc...- a stiffer mount = more (5+) HP to the wheels. Ave. $140+ various sites
You can check out my ride at http://www.CarDomain.com/ride/2382372 SHAWNY B's 05'GT
************************************************** *****************************

Hmmm.. Remove the cartridge that was only present in the early 2005 model year, free up the flow with a filter and a hole in the airbox so you run lean with no tuner, get a jet module that if it works has no adjustable parameters or data logging ability, and our sponsor, Pypes, has a SS axleback set of Violators with 4"tips on sale at $199 (ordered mine today).

Oh, Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

not to be nit picky, but straighten up that muffler!

And I like my handheld tuner, does so much more than the JET chip.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:36 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum!

I don't mean to bash you on your first post, but a lot of this stuff isn't exactly common or a good idea:

1) Only the early '05s have the restrictor in the intake. Most of us never had it at all.

2) Even if you cut a hole in your OEM airbox and put in a K&N, it won't flow as good as a proper aftermarket intake. There are many choices available, some of which are quite inexpensive.

3) JET chips aren't very good in my opinion either. My biggest complaint is that they are "fixed" and non-adjustable. Maybe that's ok if you don't have any other mods. But the problem is that if you do other mods to your car, the tune won't be right. On the other hand, if you get a handheld reflasher, you can not only perform many useful diagnostic, logging, and adjustment functions with it, but you can also continually update your tune as you make different mods or changes to your car. Remember, when you buy a Tuner like the SCT-2 or the Predator, you are also getting the expertise of the technicians at the shop helping you get your tune right. You're getting a specific tune for YOUR combination of mods, not a "one-size-fits-all" tune that supposedly works on any car with any combination of mods.

4) I have the prothane mounts in my car, while they do make shifting a little easier, they certainly don't provide any extra horsepower.

5) I agree that shorty headers are a waste of money, they aren't worth much HP at all. Get the Longtubes instead! +20-30 HP and wicked sound!
Old 06-27-2006, 12:47 AM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

You guys are way too polite. I have a cavity.

Perfect example of why you should lurk before posting.

I just hope you guys caught it in time before anyone followed his advice. lol
Old 06-27-2006, 01:19 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grasshopper

You guys are way too polite. I have a cavity.

Perfect example of why you should lurk before posting.

I just hope you guys caught it in time before anyone followed his advice. lol
[sm=exactly.gif][sm=rolleyes.gif]
Old 06-27-2006, 01:54 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ill bet pinks that my jlt and sct dyno tune got me more power than your hole and drop-in filter. or we could race for pinks. or you could just stfu and search before posting.

good DAY sir!
Old 06-27-2006, 02:38 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

+1000. most of us dont want to cut corners and do home depot mods to our stangs. do a little research, my friend. us here are real car guys, we'll pay $200 bucks more than we need to on exhaust to get the perfect sound. your creative, ill give u that. but u have a long way to go.

Quick Reply: Easy Inexpensive HORSE POWER!