Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I like this Western MS Intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Default I like this Western MS Intake

At least the concept of it. Can anyone tell me if it works well?

http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/05hvi.htm
Old 06-29-2006, 03:01 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: I like this Western MS Intake

I have read some very positive reviews of it, the concept is excellent. The key to it is to purchase the box that makes it more of a ram air setup by seperating it from the engine compartment.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:37 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

looks to be very efficient; huge surface/intake area and a no curving bendy pipe. IMO it should work much better, but again, id have to see dyno results on how it compares to like the JLT with a tune. the dyno don't lie.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:38 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

I like it, too, but the question is whether or not it would be worth trading my K&N for.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:52 PM
pegasusphototx
2nd Gear Member

My question is, would this work as a replacement for the air dam so it would be more appealing at car shows?
I think the air dam that comes with it is deeper at the back to allow more room for the filter.

[IMG]local://upfiles/33432/4B4CBE8CEEE44BC69A5EF6C23DBFD6B3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-29-2006, 04:09 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine tested this intake, along with many others, some time ago.

At the time of their test it came out near the bottom. They found the "fit and finish" and "ease of installation" to be poor, and the HP gain was nothing special--it was in the middle of the pack. The JLT, C&L, and a few others came out on top.

Here's the link to their article:
http://mustang50magazine.com/techart...ld_air_intake/

Old 06-29-2006, 11:02 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pegasusphototx

My question is, would this work as a replacement for the air dam so it would be more appealing at car shows?
I think the air dam that comes with it is deeper at the back to allow more room for the filter.

[IMG]local://upfiles/33432/4B4CBE8CEEE44BC69A5EF6C23DBFD6B3.jpg[/IMG]
I'm not sure the filter would fit with that dam. If it did, you'd probably want to cut some holes in your dam to allow air to flow in from the grill. The way you're setup now you wouldn't be flowing any air to the filter since the airflow would be completely blocked off from the WMS filter and intake. The WMS ram air box has two oval holes cut in the front over the grill in about the same location as the fog lights on a GT.

I have some installed pictures of the whole system in my gallery on this forum. Here it is.

WMS Ram Air Intake Installed
Old 07-02-2006, 03:05 AM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine tested this intake, along with many others, some time ago.

At the time of their test it came out near the bottom. They found the "fit and finish" and "ease of installation" to be poor, and the HP gain was nothing special--it was in the middle of the pack. The JLT, C&L, and a few others came out on top.

Here's the link to their article:
http://mustang50magazine.com/techart...ld_air_intake/

Actually, that's not what they said at all. The installation is indeed more difficult, because it is unlike any of the others in that the radiator overflow tank needs to be relocated. As for "fit and finish" they said "Our judges agreed this was a well-built kit that should have good Durability with outstanding Quality."

Old 07-02-2006, 11:01 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rt1Rebel

At least the concept of it. Can anyone tell me if it works well?

http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/05hvi.htm

I'm going to be buying one of these systems very soon and discarding the C&L True Flow. The reason being that I need colder air entering the intake. The idea is terrific. A staight shot of air directly into the intake is way better than air having to turn before it gets to the intake. I'll be having conversations with WMR before the purchase. If you look at the Chrysler Viper and Corvette they already use a version of the WMR.

I'm still trying to figure out how any air is to get to the WMR intake with the stock hood closed. I'm having a hard time visualizing this.

The real issue here is getting rid of the air entering under the hood. The engine compartment is acting like a parachute. No way to have the air exhaust from under the hood. Unless you want to buy a new hood (not).

I have been looking at removing a small portion of the rubber seal in the middle of the hood, looks like about 10" to see if that helps. It getts hotter than hell under the hood.

Oh yeah, with the WMR system putting a car on a dyno is a waste of time. The car has to be moving to net results.

Sure would like some more info from the forum on others ideas on venting air coming in and leaving the under hood area.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:10 AM
MODGT

there was a small discussion about this item on another post https://mustangforums.com/m_1584004/tm.htm
its a little over half way down the page. personally i like the new tuned induction group buy thingy

Quick Reply: I like this Western MS Intake