Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The Mod Journey

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 12:42 AM
Squeeks1337

Default The Mod Journey

Hey everybody!! I've already posted 'I'm a new guy' but I felt it would be a good idea to stress just how new I am. I know next to nothing about tuning and modding any car much less my Mustang. I'm like an infant, and I was hoping that the people on this forum could help me take those first steps towards a better understanding of my new love. but I've looked through these forums, and to put it simply, there's just to much information spread out all over the place that I thought that it might be easier to just make my own thread detailing my continued journey through building a beast of a machine.

First I'll go ahead and say what I got now, and I'll get those pics up sometime this weekend. I have a brand-new '06 Mustang GT (auto trans, sorry for all you manual enthusiasts). Basically, I'd like to say that I'd eventually like to be able to race her, and I'd like to build something that will perform well no matter what type of race I may be doing, with minor changes of course.

Obviously, I'm not expecting you guys to build it for me, telling me piece by piece what to put on. But, if I could get advice on where to start, and what kind of parts are the best for what I'm trying to get, then it would be much appreciated. And, if it's not to much trouble, if anyone has advice on where to start looking for ways to learn or practice racing or where to look for finding ways to get started.

I feel like I'm asking alot but frankly I'm simply overwhelmed by the sheer enormity of the task I want to undertake, and not knowing anything is certainly distressing. So, thanks in advance for anybody that gives anything.

~Squeeks
Old 07-01-2006, 12:51 AM
GT06GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: The Mod Journey

Well, first thing you have to do as i think 90% will agree is get yourself an intake + tune. For the money your gonna get the most original bang for your buck, and it helps every mod you get later down the road. To make more power, you need to get more BANG in your cylinders. Basically the intake will allow more air to enter, and the tuner will add more fuel, to compensate for the increased air. The nice thing about the tunes is they also get rid of your cars throttle lag, being an automatic u will really love it, because of its firmer shift points and you can change your rev limiters/timing etc. Also, should you ever get a warning light, you can plug in your tuner and it will read you the code that u can look up and find out wats wrong with your car. Ill save you the trouble and give you this link, Hes an excellent guy, has a great tune, great customer service, is well known around here and has nice prices.
So basically Just buy this
http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/airkittuner.html
Get the C & L intake with SCT X cal 2 Tuner package for $675
Old 07-01-2006, 12:53 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Welcome, and its normal to feel overwhelmed. Hell I still feel it lol and Ive had my car for months now. If you came to a place to find information and advice this is definately the place to be. Lots of people here know what theyre talking about and will be glad to point you in the right direction. I started out just like you not too long ago and now that I spend time on here looking at the site and exploring and listening to these guys (and girls every now and then) talk about their cars, most of my friends are like.. "Dude... how the eff do you know all this stuff now?!" Just spend some time lookin around, talk to some people, make some friends and youll be fine. I read somewhere on here earlier today about a performance driving school, Im going to look into that for myself because I would like to know how to handle my Stang a little better. As far as mods, you will have alot more fun if you mod you car based on what you want it to look like and do, not based on what everyone else is doing. Just remember its your car. Make it that way. Youll find that some of the simplest things can make your car stand out among the rest of the crowd. Good luck with everything and if ya have any questions dont hesitate to PM me. There are also many other people on here who are much, much more knowlegable than me if I cant help. Most of which will probably make their presence known relatively soon lol. Take it easy and have fun!

-bl1nk

Old 07-01-2006, 12:56 AM
Squeeks1337

Thanks alot, that sounds like a really good start. And I'd also like to say, that thing is huge!!
Old 07-01-2006, 02:27 AM
GT06GT
2nd Gear Member

I forgot to add squeeks, Make sure you install it yourself, its probably the easiest thing ever next to axlebacks, and once you do you will realize its not so hard and hopefully want to do all the mods yourself. The nice thing about doing it yourself is if you ever have a problem, you will be better able to diagnose it because you have put the system togeather and you will also get a better understanding of how everything works. You basically take off 2 sensors (screws) undo a few more screws, take out the old air box and pop in the new intake. Just read the instructions a few times and go through them step by step if you have to. After you do it though, I garantee you can put your old intake in, Have a beer, and then put the new one back in, in under 20 minutes

Also, whats more important to you, do you want speed, handleing, sound, looks, what?
Cause the intake will help for performance, but if you just want somthing 2 look nice, rims body kit etc... then u should go a different path (FYI our stangs are damn sexy so i would suggest going performance first)
Old 07-01-2006, 02:54 AM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

I just switched over from the Steeda cai to a JLT cai and upgraded from the original X-cal to the X-cal2.I feel like I'm starting over again another $1,000 dollars sunk into the money pit. But a Cai and tuner should definitely be your first Mods.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:10 AM
Squeeks1337

Thanks alot guys, I'll definitely take this into consideration. And overall performance is what I'm working towards first GT. You're right when you say the Mustang is a sexy car by itself, so looks can wait a little bit. Besides, why have a car that looks tuned and can't back it up, well, as well as it may look anyway.