Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rear end / rear axle weaknesses on S197 GTs

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:19 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Rear end / rear axle weaknesses on S197 GTs

I don't know if the low profile TA cover will clear the panhard bar but I do know the LPW low profile cover will. Also, you might want to check out the axle brace from CHE/PowerHouse.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:54 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

ORIGINAL: blowngt

A couple people make the girdle and the moser is really nice. (I have seen it on a car) I also agree with you on the school of thought. I am more inclined to follow the school of thought that says 'BUILD IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!'
Darn right!

Oh, and thanks. I did some more detailed looking and I saw the Moser girdle. Looks nice. Do you know if it will clear the panhard bar? TA Performance has a low-profile version too. I think I'm going to go with that one.

http://www.taperformance.com/rearend.htm

..TA actually makes the covers for the Ford SVO line...

http://www.taperformance.com/tagirdle.htm

It does and you just remove the panhard before install and put it back on after the cover is on. I saw it on a car at ST motorsports and it looked good and fit fine.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:43 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: blowngt
It does and you just remove the panhard before install and put it back on after the cover is on. I saw it on a car at ST motorsports and it looked good and fit fine.
Are you sure the car didn't have a panhard bar relocation bracket, because a non-low profile cover will not clear the panhard bar without a relocation bracket. My low profile cover from LPW is pretty close, I can't imagine trying to get a standard cover on there.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:52 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

In retrospect I think you are right. I didn't notice the relocation but it was definitely an aftermarket panhard bar. It may very well have had the relocation bracket cause it was pretty angled. Either way, I don't think it's a big deal or alot of $$ but good thing to bring it up so someone is prepared. I should have mentioned it was an aftermarket panhard bar. sorry. I was too busy admiting the cover - it was nice.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:57 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

It doesn't matter if the bar is an aftermarket, what matters is the relocation bracket that changes where the bar mounts to the frame. That adds $70 to the cost where a low profile cover doesn't cost any more than a standard cover.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

http://mauiboy.horsmen.com/carl2_22jun2006.wmv Thanks man that was some pretty exciting stuff.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:54 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

It doesn't matter if the bar is an aftermarket, what matters is the relocation bracket that changes where the bar mounts to the frame. That adds $70 to the cost where a low profile cover doesn't cost any more than a standard cover.

Exactly! Not only is the cost savings a nice thing, but the panhard relocation bracket is also not as sturdy as leaving it in the stock position. The low-pro cover is definatley the way to go. I checked with TA and they told me that their low-profile cover is compatible with the new 'stang. So, there's two good choices! Thanks for the input.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:13 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

+1 - I talked to mike a powerhouse and chuck at CHE perforamnce and both said the relocation bracket is not a good thing. With so much tension there, it is better to leave it in stock position. They use the low profile covers on their cars. So does JDM btw.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:59 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

And for the ultimate in strength, look at the LPW cover and the CHE Axle Brace. They can be bought as a package. Here is a picture of my car's rear suspension.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

i have an auburn pro diff, and it chatters so bad that i think its falling apart. and im scared to turn the wheel after ive been driving a lil bit and the diff has warmed up. it doesn happen when its cold, and it don happen when the wheel is straight, but DAMN i dont know whether to be scared or embarassed of the cracking and grinding and squeaking it does!

note: it still works great, spins both tires, chirps the inside tire around turns...i was told to try a heavier oil and friction eliminator fluid. will that help?

Quick Reply: Rear end / rear axle weaknesses on S197 GTs