Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

gas tank sersor problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 03:11 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

Default gas tank sersor problem

last night i ran over a dog [:'(] and i was on empty so after i hit the dog i went to the gas station to fill up and check out my car make sure its alright. i filled it up. 14 gallons and inside my car it says i only have half a tank. im not sure what the problem might be. any ideas?
Old 07-06-2006, 03:38 PM
OdiousBarbarian
1st Gear Member

Default RE: gas tank sersor problem

problem could be that you are an evil evil dog killer...

but thats just my opinion
Old 07-06-2006, 05:12 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

lol. thats what i was thinking, but the dog was already dead. it was laying in a shadow and i couldn't see it.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:55 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

I'm having a similar problem from time to time. I'll have like 1/2 - 5/8 of a tank, and it will say I have 50 miles left when I should have 150, and the guage will be way down to 1/4 or less. Then the next day or a few hours later after it sits for a bit, I'll turn it on and it will be where it should. It's happened only twice in the 2 months since I bought it new, so I'm trying to decide whether it will fix itself or if I should take it in.

Anybody else ever have this?
Old 07-06-2006, 08:42 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

today when i took it to the dealership i talked to a mechanic and he said that ford has been having this problem but only explorers. however, he said if it was to happen again dont turn the car off and just bring it straight into the dealership so they can check the gas tank level and then adjust the guage to match how much gas you actually have.so i guess just spread the word incase anybody else has this same problem.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:07 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

Had that happen on that happen on two cars but not the Mustang. Both were bad fuel level sending units that did produce an error code if you have an OBDII reader.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:49 AM
wbr351

[:@]That just happened to me about 30 minutes ago. The only thing I did differently was left the ignition on accessory, as I was listening to a ball game (Astros 4 - Card 2, go 'stros!). I have tried several times to shut all the electical down, hoping for a reset, with no success. My SuperDuty would do the same thing, but all i had to do was go Off with the ignition, and it would go to full.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Some of the new "ethanol" enhanced gasolines have been causing problems within gas tanks. I would have to believe that it could have something to do with ethanol's ability at removing water and other crud from your gas tank. Most gas stations had to have their tanks emptied and cleaned before switching to the new "improved" ethanol dosed gasolines. Seems that the ethanol also acts to dissolve accumulated sulfur (found in all fuels) from storage tanks and this has an effect on certain types of gas tank sensors. Do you think this may be happening to our tanks as well?? I would have to believe so.

Case in point, both of my Toyota trucks had gas gauge problems at exactly the same time gasohols were being introduced in the area. The problems went away after a couple tanks.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:23 PM
dreem363
1st Gear Member

I had a similar effect when I switched to the Predator 87 tune. When stock I use to get 290 miles until empty. But when I switched to to the predator tune my miles only went up to 255 when tank was full. I thought the tune had caused my car to lose MPG. I was devasted since gas is already expensive. But I guess the fuel gauge is faulty because my miles would fluctuate. I have added a JLT II CAI with a DTP racing custome tune and my miles until empty is up to 305. I have actually ran the car 2 miles until empty and I did get 305 miles. I think the one thing that made the big difference was removing the negative battery connection after adding custom tune. I have heard that once a tune is added that you should disconenct battery in order for the computer to learn the new modfications. Just a thought.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:55 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

OK, but did anyone else that has had this problem hit a dog? Because apparently that was a revellant part of the story

Quick Reply: gas tank sersor problem