Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MGW Shifter fot S197 Stangs

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:46 AM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

Default MGW Shifter fot S197 Stangs

Hey guys and gals,
Just a quick lil note. I was bored the other day, and looking around on the MGW site. I've heard people swear that the MGW is the absolute best shifter they have used, and I know many people are waiting on them to come out with one for the new Stang. Well I emailed them, and what I got was that they are working on it, and that it should be out sometime in the fall. I know I will prolly be one of the first for it, because of what I have heard from other people. Just lettin you people know this lil bit of info, if you didn't already know.
Cory
Old 07-09-2006, 02:39 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MGW Shifter fot S197 Stangs

Cory,
They are probably getting tired of the inquiries.... I've been waiting forever as well, and just got this E Mail from them yesterday.....

right now we are looking pretty bad :>( we have a big contract with the gov't and it is delaying our new product development. we hope to get back on it done soon though.

regards
george

I have heard all the hype about their shifter as well, but I'm having a heck of a time not caving in and buying a Hurst.......

Mike
Old 07-09-2006, 03:46 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: TexStang06
Well I emailed them, and what I got was that they are working on it, and that it should be out sometime in the fall.
Not to disappoint you or anything, but they said that exact same thing last summer.

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

I'm having a heck of a time not caving in and buying a Hurst.......

If you are going to buy a Hurst, save yourself some money and buy a Saleen short throw shifter adaptor. Same results and easier on the pocket.
Seriously, I am not trying to knock your choice, or talk you in to whatever I own. Just telling you. Look at your stock shifter, then look at the Hurst.
The only difference is the throw ( back to my Saleen comment ) and the ability to change the handle for a chrome one.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I installed the Saleen adapter along with a urethane bushing kit from Steeda. The results were amazing. I can't believe the difference, and all for about $75.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:51 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

If you are going to buy a Hurst, save yourself some money and buy a Saleen short throw shifter adaptor. Same results and easier on the pocket.
Seriously, I am not trying to knock your choice, or talk you in to whatever I own. Just telling you. Look at your stock shifter, then look at the Hurst.
The only difference is the throw ( back to my Saleen comment ) and the ability to change the handle for a chrome one.
Hawgman,
Very valid point, and well taken. Personally, I don't want to change the handle to chrome, so no issue there.....I prefer my after market shift handle. Did you also use the urethane bushings as Goldenpony noted, or just use the stock bushings? To be honest, I have the Saleen adaptor ready to put on, but then got caught up in reading numerous posts touting the Hurst, etc......(Also need to get some ramps....not as young as I used to be, and I really don't trust the floor jack / jack stand combo like I would have many years ago...)

Thanks for the input,
Mike

Old 07-09-2006, 02:57 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Actually Mike, I have Pro 5.0. Absolutely amazing shifter. But prior to the Pro 5.0 I ran a stock shifter with the Saleen adaptor and also the Steeda bushings. Honestly, the bushings really didn't make that much difference ( did the bushings a couple of weeks after the adaptor ). But I can say that a buddy of mine has an 06' GT with the Hurst shifter and honestly it felt exactly the same as the stock setup with mods that I was running at the time.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:14 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

But I can say that a buddy of mine has an 06' GT with the Hurst shifter and honestly it felt exactly the same as the stock setup with mods that I was running at the time.
Hawgman,
That's exactly the comparison i was looking for...Thank you. Perhaps you can answer another shifter question. I have asked this on one of the "hurst" threads, but did not get a response....

I absolutely understand the theory of the short throw, in that with the Hurst, etc., you are actually changing the geometry via the linkage under the car, which changes the pivot points, which shorten the throw....got it....

Now, if one looks at the install instructions for the MGW Shifter for non 05 years, which I assume WHEN they get it together will be the same for 05's....All of the shifter changes for this type of shifter take place inside the car, i.e. pull the stock shifter and boot, remove top cover plate of transmission, pull out stock shift arm with pivot, replace with new shift arm and pivot, re-seal cover, etc.....you get the picture....
How does this application accomplish the shortened throw in comparison to the linkage geometry change?? Maybe I'm just not getting it, but I can't see how this would shorten the throw appreciably.....???????

Mike

Old 07-09-2006, 10:22 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Mike,

You are comparing two completely different animals, on 79-04 Mustangs the shifter bolted directly to the tailshaft of the transmission and the ball on the bottom of the shifter directly engaged the internal shift mechanism of the transmission. On our cars the shifter is remotely mounted and therefore requires the under car linkage that is apart of the S197 shifters. If you look at any shifter for pre-05 Mustangs they look basically the same as the MGW and if/when MGW releases a shifter for S197s then it will be similar to all of the existing shifters in that it will include the undercar linkage.

Kevin
Old 07-09-2006, 11:02 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Kevin,
Thank you so much for clearing that up. Now that I look at it in that light, it makes perfect sense to me. It also makes me wonder what the MGW, if ever completed could possibly have over the current market availability.

Again, thanks for taking the time. I appreciate the info.

Mike