Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hood Supports

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 12:42 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Default Hood Supports

I'm thinking of replacing the stock rod with something better. I've seen the CDC type struts but I'm concerned they won't last. Anyone that's ever owned a hatch back knows the seals get worn and don't hold. I'd like some honest feedback on this item. http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1090
It looks pretty strong and foolproof. I'm mixed about the looks though. Anyone here have any suggestions on what the best product is for this application?
Old 07-13-2006, 02:22 AM
Just4fun

Default RE: Hood Supports

I have the CDC hood supports, they look great, work great and are super easy to install.

[IMG]local://upfiles/40542/5A571A47D76F471D86E0AAA2FE089C38.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-13-2006, 02:59 AM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

I got the one's from red line and I love them +1 easy install and look good, cheap mod for a big improvement.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13769/AA0192A37EFD49AAB904CF169E2D1835.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-13-2006, 03:38 AM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

MRT supports. Love 'em. They look quite awesome as well.....

UB10
Old 07-13-2006, 09:14 AM
R3troGT
1st Gear Member

I am not sure how well they would work but I like the looks of them. Something different. If I did not already have the CDC struts I think I would try these out. At that price you can't really go wrong. If you don't like them then sell them on eBay and get something else.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: R3troGT

I am not sure how well they would work but I like the looks of them. Something different. If I did not already have the CDC struts I think I would try these out. At that price you can't really go wrong. If you don't like them then sell them on eBay and get something else.
Have you ever opened your trunk? same thing so yeah they work very well and it's nice not waiting for some clown to bump that hood prop and sue my @ss no thanks plus it's so much cooler looking when you go to show someone under the hood because you only have to lift the hood a few inches before it raises the rest of the way by it's self.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:01 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I guess the self opening feature is something that's pretty cool. The other thing about the UPR billet style is I wonder how the heck you release them? If you look at the design I can see how they would stay locked in that position but to put the hood back down do you undue one side and then the other? I do go to gatherings where everyone has their hoods up to allow viwing of the engine compartment. I am worried about some joker knocking out the support rod and you know the rest. Thanks everyone for your alternate suggestions.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:00 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

If I might give a suggestion...

The Redline hood lift kits are nice, but why spend that much money? On my old show car, I did it myself, and they worked just as well. If you have an RV dealership around (which pretty much everyone does somewhere nearby), head over to their parts department. There you will find exactly what you need, gas shocks with the exact same kind of mounting brackets they use on the Redline kits (no offense to Redline by ANY means), and where I get them, they're about $10 - $15 a piece. If you have a rivet gun and rivets, you're all set. It's simple, and they should have the shocks ranging anywhere from 35 lbs to 115 lbs. Just a suggestion....
Old 07-13-2006, 05:34 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

Mustangtuning.com has a set that attaches further toward the windshield and gives you much more room to work with under hood.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

Yeah your right if you can do it yourself for less go right ahead but I was in a hurry to get things moving along so after the 2k for the wheels and rubber the $60 or less not sure what it was did not seem to be a big deal.

BoidMorphs, I am not sure what style you were looking at but I just shut my hood no unlatching or button pressing errr what I mean is they don't lock into place which is why someone said there concerne was how long they lasted because if the seals start to leak it would close by it's self or droop on one side and if that happens just get a replacement and snap it in to the same brackets.

Quick Reply: Hood Supports