Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got the Go Ahead from Whipple!!! Officially Taking Orders!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Got the Go Ahead from Whipple!!! Officially Taking Orders!!

I don't own an 05 or 06 but a $2K NONREFUNDABLE deposit?? Uhhmm... I would pass, especially since the turn around time is 30-40 days.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:40 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Yea, who the heck wants to pay interest on 2K till they ship the thing. Sounds like whipple is short on cash.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:48 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: demarcom

Why be so hung up on the whipple? There are many other options out there like KB, Saleen, are of equal to the Whipple. Twin Screw is twin screw for the most part (besides size) and there are lots of good new Turbo kits out there for 5-6K. So there are lots of options.
TURBO LAAAAAAG! 'nuff said.

Don't like the KB install. I don't like the way it's routed and the fact that you have to cut into the body of the car.
Saleen doesn't provide you with a programmer. You have to send your computer in for a canned tune.
That leaves nobody but Whipple.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:13 PM
MacGyverGTP
2nd Gear Member

Ahh whatever GT Premi... Cutting into the body for the KB not a big deal & does not take away any structural integrity... Easy work with a Dremel & I love the way it's routed. Very clean & orderly looking.
The only bad thing I can say about the KB is that they lock their tune. I want to go get some 4.10's & it's going to cost me $200 just to get it re-tuned so my speedo is correct, that's the big stinker of it... But a lot of people are getting custom tunes that fix this problem anyway.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:07 PM
cableguymicah
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Premi

ORIGINAL: demarcom

Why be so hung up on the whipple? There are many other options out there like KB, Saleen, are of equal to the Whipple. Twin Screw is twin screw for the most part (besides size) and there are lots of good new Turbo kits out there for 5-6K. So there are lots of options.
TURBO LAAAAAAG! 'nuff said.

Don't like the KB install. I don't like the way it's routed and the fact that you have to cut into the body of the car.
Saleen doesn't provide you with a programmer. You have to send your computer in for a canned tune.
That leaves nobody but Whipple.

Well you are going to want to do a dyno tune anyway so who cares if saleen doesnt have a programmer.

New turbo set up have very little or no lag at all anymore, they have changed alot in the last few years
Old 07-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: classj

Yea, who the heck wants to pay interest on 2K till they ship the thing. Sounds like whipple is short on cash.
Understandable.. But there is a saying "If you want to play, you got to pay!!"

We sold 3 Kits already today and no one that ordered seemed to mind. It's kind of like putting a deposit on a new vehichle that hasn't been released. You are ensured your place in line.

Let me know if there's anything we can help you with. Thanks, Jared@Lethal

Old 07-14-2006, 11:55 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: GT Premi

Saleen doesn't provide you with a programmer. You have to send your computer in for a canned tune.That leaves nobody but Whipple.
If you get the right people to put your SC in, none of that is a problem. You don't need to send your computer for a canned tune. You get a custom dyno tune that is loaded into an SCT2--you buy your Saleen SC minus the tune and then an SCT2 to go with it. That in itself is a helluva lot more flexible because with the SCT2 you can change some stuff that is not SC related like gear ratio; automatic transmission shift points and firmness, etc.

In fact why not get a custom tune on a dyno after that much modification? A canned tune is going to be conservative anyway.

Now all of this is just my humble opinion, but I have a Saleen SC with a custom tune loaded onto an SCT2 tuner, and I am very happy with the way it runs.

In addtion, there is no way in hell I would up front $2000 that is not refundable for something that has been "going to be here in 2 weeks" for the last 6 months!

I didn't even consider Whipple because they are what we in the electronics business call "vaporware."

However, regardless of which one I picked, it would have gotten a custom tune loaded onto an SCT2 anyway!

JMHO.

Mike
Old 07-15-2006, 01:08 AM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

Agree. Why would someone want a non-refundable deposit on a kit that at least several hundred enthusiasts have been eagerly awaiting? I would think you could sell them as fast as you could manufacture them. What really bothers me is the huge price escalation from what they have been advertising on their website. Combine this with Ford Racing's "Coming Soon" supercharger advertising that appears to be stuck on hold and you have a real recipe for concern, IMHO.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:34 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I will personally wait to see some #'s and installs taking place before I place my order. I want to know of any snags in the system before hand.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:57 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

vaporware
LOL

I can relate with you there.

My take is, when FORD themselves actually starts marketing them and can get them. And a hundred or so kits get sold and tested without people turning their blocks inside out, I might bite.

Until then, I am sitting on the fence. The kits out there now are nice, but none really seem perfect. Some are close, but they all have their bugs.

I want something that has a little factory support.

Quick Reply: Got the Go Ahead from Whipple!!! Officially Taking Orders!!