Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Drag-Limited Top Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Scottbert

Default Drag-Limited Top Speed?

Please note: These are theoretical questions. No one should be attempting top speed runs except under strictly controlled conditions and by professional drivers. I'm also completely ignoring the speed rating of the tires and the fact that you'd slide off the roads at these speeds...

Let's say you used a tune to remove the speed limiter. How fast will a Mustang GT go? By my calculations, running P235/50ZR18 tires on 18" wheels, top engine speed (6250 RPM) in top gear (0.68:1) gives a speed of 210 MPH. Clearly 300 flywheel HP is not enough to get anywhere near that, so how fast will it go before it runs out of steam? How much slower would the convertible be? How much slower with the top down?

Now let's say your mods brought the power up to 400 RWHP and raised the RPM limit to 6800. By this time you'd also have 4:10 gears so the theoretical max would be 199 MPH. How close to that could you actually get?
Old 07-16-2006, 05:04 PM
slowpozer
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Drag-Limited Top Speed?

You can probably find the drag coefficient somewhere and plug the basic equation. In reality you would need to add down force in the front and manage the air going under the car. So the "real" drag coefficient would be higher. The speed limiter on the car is probably set at a point where the computer model shows a certain amount of dangerous lift on the front. I imagine it's implemented to give Ford's lawyers' some defense material.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:11 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

Has anyone taken an S197 to Bonneville and ran it flat out? That IMHO would be the most practical test to do and compare it to the theory.

My guess is that the drag coefficient on this model of Mustangs is a lot higher than some of the previous more "aero" looking models. In addition, the drag coefficient is also probably a function of the speed itself.

Mike
Old 07-16-2006, 05:54 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

add down force in the front and manage the air going under the car
I really dont think we would be talking downforce on these cars. I would bet lift would be a better term. Most cars get lighter at higher speeds unless they are combated by alot of downforce.

One of the magazines had a highly modified car up close to 200. But they pulled the mirrors off it, big blower, etc, etc.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:07 AM
06VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

I have had my coupe according to the factory speedo above 145mph and ran out of straight away. It was still climbing slowly.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:51 AM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

I remember reading somewhere that the Vortech guys got an 05 Mustang up to around 200mph...But it definitely had more than 300hp....
Old 07-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

The stang would probably need around 550 rwhp to get it to 199mph, in regard to the scenrio you posed.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:21 PM
paco_pony
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scottbert

Please note: These are theoretical questions. No one should be attempting top speed runs except under strictly controlled conditions and by professional drivers. I'm also completely ignoring the speed rating of the tires and the fact that you'd slide off the roads at these speeds...

Let's say you used a tune to remove the speed limiter. How fast will a Mustang GT go? By my calculations, running P235/50ZR18 tires on 18" wheels, top engine speed (6250 RPM) in top gear (0.68:1) gives a speed of 210 MPH. Clearly 300 flywheel HP is not enough to get anywhere near that, so how fast will it go before it runs out of steam? How much slower would the convertible be? How much slower with the top down?

Now let's say your mods brought the power up to 400 RWHP and raised the RPM limit to 6800. By this time you'd also have 4:10 gears so the theoretical max would be 199 MPH. How close to that could you actually get?

you'd need to explicitly model it to get an accurate answer without risking your life. basically it's force to wheels less rolling resistance less drag resistance.

I have the model that can estimate it for different horsepowers and gears etc.

using the stock GT, .35 Cd and an approximate formula for rolling resistance, I get a top speed of around 146 for the stock Gt.

If you are really interested, PM me and I'll put your parameters in my model and see what comes out
Old 07-19-2006, 07:38 PM
gregt909
2nd Gear Member

I read somewhere that the top speed of a stock GT was around 137. At that point drag was a factor. I dont think we have the most areodynamic cars on the road.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:20 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I read somewhere that the top speed of a stock GT was around 137. At that point drag was a factor
Fortunatly, or unfortunatly, I can attest that 137 is not the drag limited speed of a stock GT given that at 135 I was still pinned in the seat and it was still pulling through fourth.

Stupid as hell, sure, but just providing technical info here for those that need to know.

Quick Reply: Drag-Limited Top Speed?