Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

hurst shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 02:08 AM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

Default hurst shifter

I am in the market for a aftermarket shifter for my mustang. I read some posts on the hurst short throw. Anyone have any problems with this shifter? Where would I order one from? thanks
Old 07-17-2006, 03:23 AM
skymedic
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: hurst shifter

Just had mine installed. I got mine from Brenspeed.com

189$

Much better than stock
Old 07-17-2006, 01:46 PM
5StangsandCounting
1st Gear Member

there are several threads on this question.. just type in 'hurst shifter' on the search box,..
However many people (myself included) have the Hurst shifter. in my case it was a great purchase! 180 on ebay, but Brenspeed carrys it for about the same price i think, and he is a site sponsor..

There are a few threads about peoplle having problems in the earilier year cars, as they changed the busings around a litt,e but on my 06, I have no issues.
Takes 15 minutes to install, and reduces the shift throw by 50%..
Keep in mind that it is a little more taxing to shift now, as you are reducing the leverage by 50% also.. I didn't really notice it, but my wife claims to hate driving my car now, as it is "too hard to shift"... no real loss to me, as now I don't have any competition for driving the stang.. he, he...
Old 07-17-2006, 01:50 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

How so? Place a hurst next to a stock shifter and you will quickly see it is EXACTLY the same thing. The hurst is a waste of money. You can buy the $35.00 saleen adapter and it will give you the exact same performance gains of the hurst. (shorter throw)

If your looking to actually get something for your money, get the pro 5.0. The tri ax is almost identical in contruction but doesn't have the stop bolt adjustment like the pro 5.0 so it makes the pro a better buy.

I have taken a couple guys out (some of them from this site) to the track and showed them first hand why the hurst sucks. If you are just going to be driving around town and like the look of the hurst stick (cause that's what you're paying for) then it's great, but if you are actually going to drag, you will need a better shifter.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:05 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

^^^What he said. Except the Saleen adaptor went up in price, so it is now $50 ^^^
Old 07-17-2006, 03:34 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

^^^^ $50 - those bastards!!!...lol Still a good deal. What's up Doc? Mike gave up on this site and let me infilitrate the dark side...lol

PS - No names please!!...
Old 07-17-2006, 03:34 PM
5StangsandCounting
1st Gear Member

I'n not sure entirely about the waste of money bit, but the saleen adapter is deffinately a better deal for the short throw aspect, However the feel of the Hurst is very nice, and even with a very similar build look to the stock one, feels nothing like it. And It looks very sweet IMO.
I've never tried anyother one personally, so I won't attempt to compare. All i know is that I love my Hurst, and shifting is now very positive and clean.
And as I was answering the actual question of
" am in the market for a aftermarket shifter for my mustang. I read some posts on the hurst short throw.
Anyone have any problems with this shifter? Where would I order one from?"
I was merely doing my best to answer his question.
For Me.. Hurst iw/was a great choice, and I will but again in the future.
later-
Matt-
Old 07-17-2006, 04:05 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

What hawgman and myself are saying is just the facts. you shouldn't get your feelings hurt if you own a Hurst. The 'feel' of the hurst is a matter of the throw which is the exact same 'feel' you'll get from the $50 saleen adapter.

What the important thing we are talking is what you don't 'feel' - specifically how it will transition and bang gears under load. Try powershifting the hurst at the track and you will instantly see what I'm talking about. For as great as the throw 'feels' - see how good it feels when you only press the clutch in a couple inches while shifting without letting your foot off the gas. What you will find is the shifter will not lock up until the clutch is completely depressed and this will cost you valuable tenths on your et's.

I am a fairly expereinced driver and I dropped 3 tenths on my time with the exact same mods when I lost the hurst and went with the pro 5.0. I also had the tri-ax on my car too, so I am speaking from experience of using all 3 shifters on my car.

I'm not saying people are stupid for buying the hurst. Especially since the majority on this site don't need a serious racing shifter. I'm just giving the facts that the saleen is the same feel for a lot less money and easier install.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:58 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

The point of buying a Hurst is the history behind it and for looks, it's a little bit of a performance mod with great visuals IMO.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:43 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

I might take the car to the track once a year if that, I just love the looks of the hurst shifter. As long as its better then the stock shifter I will be happy. I may as well have 2 cars with hurst shifters, lol. Even though this shifter isn't near as cool as the lightening rods. Thanks!

Quick Reply: hurst shifter