Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

questions:aftermarket parts and tunes

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 02:40 PM
bikadur

Default questions:aftermarket parts and tunes

I recently purchased an 05 stage 1 roush mustang and this would be my first mustang with a computer(among many other parts!) in it. And after going through several magazines and websites I have a very simple question: If I buy different performance parts (IE a CAI, throttle body, etc..) will I need to get my car retuned every time I put on a new part? Or does the computer compensate every time a new part is put on? I know for a CAI a tune is required, but if I add parts after that will I need another tune?
If this helps here is a list of the parts I am considering buying:
Granatelli Throttle Body
Helix Power Tower throttle body spacer
C&L intake with SCT tuner - BOUGHT from Evo
Granatelli coil pack connectors
Ford Racing shorty headers - Came with the car installed.
Also if you have an opinions about the parts I have listed above please tell me; any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Forgot to mention, the goal with this car is to be a killer street machine. The main target being c6 vettes.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:00 PM
silver05gt1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: questions:aftermarket parts and tunes

Well, I will tell you what I was told the Throttle body basically gives you nothing HP wise. I have one and was pretty much told that until I get some forced induction it just looks pretty.....LOL Also, as per helix if you get a 62mm throttle body the spacer they say does nothing, not sure how true this one is, but that is what they told me when I went to buy one. The C&L and the tuner go hand and hand and they are well worth it. As per Granatelli you do not need to retune the car for the coil packs. And as far as the headers go they say you don't NEED a tune, but you get more HP if you get a tune. So basically you could put on the headers , coils and C&L, hit the car the SCT tune and you can be done. Granted you can probably get more HP with a dyno/custom tune, but that is all up to you and your pocket book.....lol
Old 07-18-2006, 03:10 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

For parts that have a significant effect on the engine, you will need to have your tune updated. This is generally simple. Call your tuning shop (where you bought the tuner from--EVO in your case), tell them what mods you've got, and they'll send you an updated tune.

Here are my thoughts on your mod list:

Throttle Body: definate waste of money. There are many horror stories from people on this forum about how difficult they are to get to work properly. There was at least one guy offering to GIVE his away. They screw up your idle and throttle response.

Throttle Body spacer: I don't know for sure, but I have my doubts as to how well it works. Maybe someone else can comment.

Intake & CAI: GOOD MOVE. #1 mod.

Coil Pack Connectors: Not needed. The ignition on these cars is good. The only time you'd benefit from a stronger ignition is if you are running a supercharger or a turbo and the boost is very high.

Shorty Headers: I don't like them. They're expensive, a hassle to install, and they give only a minor performance boost. But, you've already got them.

If you are looking for more performance, here are some good choices:

Tubular lower control arms in the rear
Lower rear-end gears (3.73 auto or 4.10 manual)
Upgraded rear sway bar
Toicko D-spec adjustable shocks
Underdrive pulleys
electric water pump
Long-tube headers (sell your shortys on Ebay)
Off-road or high-flow X/H pipe

Old 07-18-2006, 03:19 PM
bikadur

My assumption with the throttle body spacer is it works like a carb spacer. If anyone could confirm this that would be great.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:09 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

That's the theory. Though, they don't work as well on EFI systems as they do on a carbed system. An EFI system already has superior atomization of fuel due to the injectors.

However, I can't help but wonder how well they actually work. I have heard a lot of vendors pushing them, but I haven't seen any concete 3rd party reviews that said "yeah, I got one and it gave me +X HP"