Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is Self Installing a SC difficult ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 04:13 PM
5StangsandCounting
1st Gear Member

Default Is Self Installing a SC difficult ?

Okay, this is probably a bit vague and wide open here.. But can a Saleen Super Charger be self installed with basic car knowledge and ability to follow direction?
for someone who has done things like a cam job on an old 5.0.. and can wire stereos.. changes brakes, shocks, starters.. ect.. be expected to safely install a saleen SC without major issues?

I think many of us here enjoy doing stuff ourselves.. and It seems like this should be attemptable..
Any ideas?

anyone with this experience under their belt that isn't a true mechanic?

thanks as usual all..
Matt-
Old 07-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Is Self Installing a SC difficult ?

ORIGINAL: 5StangsandCounting

Okay, this is probably a bit vague and wide open here.. But can a Saleen Super Charger be self installed with basic car knowledge and ability to follow direction?
for someone who has done things like a cam job on an old 5.0.. and can wire stereos.. changes brakes, shocks, starters.. ect.. be expected to safely install a saleen SC without major issues?

I think many of us here enjoy doing stuff ourselves.. and It seems like this should be attemptable..
Any ideas?

anyone with this experience under their belt that isn't a true mechanic?

thanks as usual all..
Matt-
If you can do a cam, then you can do an SC. Biggest thing to remember is time and patience. If you have both you're golden. If not, you may make mistakes.

The one thing you will need to do before you stomp on the gas though is take it to a shop after you've installed it and have them dyno tune it. Obviously you'll need a hand tuner as well for that.

Post pics!
Old 07-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

The Saleen comes with a tuner with no dyno time required. I remember someone saying the tune isn't adjustable, but that doesn't make sense to me since it's electronic and all electronics are hackable with the proper software.

I plan on installing mine myself (if I don't decide to go turbo) and use the provided tune from Whipple. Planning on taking a 3 or 4 day weekend so I'm not rushed and I have time to play after the install.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:06 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Getaway
I remember someone saying the tune isn't adjustable, but that doesn't make sense to me since it's electronic and all electronics are hackable with the proper software.
The tunes are locked by Saleen and can only be opened by Saleen. Same goes for a lot of the mail order tunes. People do that to protect their intellectual property. Further more, you cannot download the tune from the SCT hand held device. Only upload to it. So even if you could get in to the tune ( without purchasing the $300 PRP software ) you could not get it off of the device to do anything with it.

And yes, get a custom tune.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:52 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Getaway

The Saleen comes with a tuner with no dyno time required. I remember someone saying the tune isn't adjustable, but that doesn't make sense to me since it's electronic and all electronics are hackable with the proper software.

I plan on installing mine myself (if I don't decide to go turbo) and use the provided tune from Whipple. Planning on taking a 3 or 4 day weekend so I'm not rushed and I have time to play after the install.
Where are you seeing that the Saleen comes WITH a tuner? All the places I've seen it, they want you to ship your PCM to Saleen so that they can load the tune and then ship it back to you. Getting the SC with a handheld tuner would certainly be a better option.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:19 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Would depend on whether or not you are purchasing directly from Saleen or from a reseller. If you are purchasing directly from Saleen I think they still want you to send them the PCM for reprogramming. Most ( if not all ) of the resellers will bundle a hand held and tunes in with the package.

But bottom line, the tune is going to be locked and you can't download it from the device.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Meangreen1200
2nd Gear Member

Kenne Bell, no problem doing the work your self. VERY good instructions.