Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Can I blow the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 02:20 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Can I blow the engine?

ORIGINAL: Rt1Rebel
Don't know about you, but when I'm driving in my neighborhood, their isn't room for two cars to pass going in opposite directions, cars parked on both sides. I drive 15 MPH, yes, I know the speed limit is 25, but I'm really crazy about idiots backing out in front of me and kids riding bikes out from behind parked cars and all that nonsense. But maybe that's just me.
With all the info now in - +1 on no motor blown bad driving identified and sounds like admitted

Pesronally, I like to avoid neighborhood hazzards with intimidation... If they see/hear/feel you coming and each time they poke their nose out, they see your front end lift off the ground, hear the tires squealing, engine roaring and smell the burnt rubber as you pass them inches away at 70-100MPH - the next time they actually look both ways
[sm=joke.gif]
Old 07-22-2006, 10:54 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

If you passed someone in your neighborhood in a 35 MPH zone, you deserve to blow your engine.

Thanks for you opinion, but i could give a **** what you think. My neighborhood is in the country, these are country roads. Now you can go **** yourself if you wish.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:08 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

I am assuming
and that's your first mistake, your reply to me will be your second i'm sure.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:26 PM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

After reading you second post.... CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FIRST POWER SHIFT. Although by mistake and probably not gracefully since you hit the rev limiter in first. These cars really come alive when playing in the 4K + RPM range.

And try not to do that on a neighborhood road as you probably couldnt see what was on the other side of the pickup.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Sean3667
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTlust

Let me clarify. I was behind a pickup doing roughly 25 mph in second gear. I downshifted into first gear and the rpm's where at roughly 4,000, i'm guessing there I just took a quick glance, someone I'm sure can tell me exactly.
I can tell you exactly what happened. You didn't blow the engine, but you do need to learn how to drive a stick.

At 25mph, downshifting to first gear to try and accelerate was just plain stupid.

With as much torque as these cars have, I can see being in third gear at 25 ... and possibly shifting into second briefly to get the RPM's into a more responsive range ... but in 22 years of driving manual transmissions, I think your description is the first time I've heard of someone trying to use first gear to accelerate from a speed the gear isn't designed to be driven in.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:15 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

l shift at 2k rpm all the time and l sometimes drive on 5th gear while l am 40-45mph.. low rpm, less gas..
Old 07-23-2006, 03:22 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

Typically I'll run up to about 2.5-3k before going into 2nd. Then it's about 2k for the rest.
I'm kinda suprised you were even able to get into 1st at that speed; I believe there's even something in the manual advising that downshifting into 1st at speeds over 10mph (i think) is a no-no.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:37 AM
baileyd300

OK guys not worried so much with blowing the engine but whats the deal... I have had my car 6 months and no issues in Houston day to day... I take a 100 mile trip and 2 things happen. After doing 66-75 for 100 miles, I come to a stop light and then at a VERY NORMAL take off the engine cuts out twice just like it hit a rev limit or when the traction control set in. This is an 2006 and auto. I did not get it but said OH WELL... Then on the way home doing a a normal 70-75 on the interstate I tried to pass someone and kicked it down and the engine then cut out TWICE completely (as a rev limiter would or TCS). I dont get it .. As an auto this should not have occured and it was a violent cut out and forced me back into the right lane.... I then TESTED this several times on the rest of the way home and it would not occur. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS HERE ON ISSUES WITH AUTO REV ISSUES OR TCS . Keep in mind this happened at both cruising speed and from and normal stop light start ONLY after running for about 75 miles.

thanks, DB

[IMG]local://upfiles/40670/D5BBDB38ECD34313A5047FC062CEC360.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-24-2006, 02:30 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Ford made a pretty good engine in these Mustangs!
Last winter after a real cold winter night that I had to leave the Convertible stang outside. I went to start it at -35F degrees well I turn the key and as soon as it starts RPM went straight to 6000 RPM and started bouncing off the rev limiter! I'm like $hit, $hit! I was standing out side when I started it because it was so cold so it took me a few seconds to reach back in a nd find the key to turn it off! I just know I was going to see fluid pouring out from under the car. NOPE! I pop the hood and look and check oil, thick (even for synthetic) but level is close to normal. Anyway before I go and start it again I need to figure out why this happened. SO after looking the engine compartment over (not knowing exactly what to look for lol) I go check inside the car. (freezing my *** off now because this started out as a quick trip out to start and warm up the car with out coat, gloves, or a hat and it's been 10 mins.) I finally after a few more mins I look under the dash at my gas pedal and the winter floor mat I put in was on top of the gas pedal pushing it all the way down! Must have done that on my way out after I parked it. NICE! almost a $5000 engine damage because of a cheap $10 mat to protect the $150 carpet! WOW! 05SDI