Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Can I blow the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 11:55 AM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Default Can I blow the engine?

I went to pass someone in my neighborhood because they were doing 20 in a 35 and driving me insane. I dropped it into first because I was running out of road before a turn, well I must have red lined it before shifting and when I did shift into second and let out the clutch fast I damn near broke my neck. All the way home I was worried I may have damaged the engine. Isn't there a rev limiter of some kind? This car has more kick than I thought it did, that's for sure.

It's an 06 gt manual by the way.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:59 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Can I blow the engine?

Im not sure about the sticks but the autos definitly have a rev limiter built in.
-P.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:05 PM
GTSLOW

Yes the 5 speed has a rev limiter, but you can over rev the engine with an improper downshift. It will over rev that way. The rev limiter only cuts the fuel etc.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Bob D.
2nd Gear Member

I guess I don't understand your question...are you saying that you shifted into second high in the revs? There is a rev limiter that should help prevent you from hitting too high RPMs in that situation, and whenever accelerating normally.

As stated above, a rev limiter, however, won't protect from an over-rev situation created through downshifting at too high of speed.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:11 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Thanks everyone. I didn't downshift and over rev it. It was sitting around 4,000rpms for a few seconds before I went to pass. It definately felt like the fuel was cut off right before I dropped it into second, after that it felt like someone shot me from a canon!

ORIGINAL: Bob D.

Yes, there's a rev limiter to help protect the valve train. A rev limiter, however, won't protect from an over-rev situation created through downshifting at too high of speed.

<<Oops, GTslow beat me to it....[]
Old 07-21-2006, 12:16 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero
Im not sure about the sticks but the autos definitly have a rev limiter built in.
There is, but it isn't perfect...

Shifting into too low a gear causes the wheels to turn the engine as well as gas+air, so the rev limiter is limited in its ability to stop it.

In this scenario, if the engine didn't pop while it was spinning, it is more likely that you would damage the clutch/trans than the engine - it is always possible, but on a stock motor unlikely unless there was a defect.

When you say "damn near broke my neck" - I assume you mean it pulled you back in the seat when you went into second? (because then you say it has more "kick" than you thought...). If it was still pulling, it is likely fine...

Can't really remote diagnose something like this, particularly without any info about how it runs now.

Can you damage the engine+driveline? - absolutely.

Did you? Well, popping motors while revving tends to happen when they are at higher speeds under much more load (assuming N/A - boosted is another story). Clutches on the otherhand can get killed pretty much anywhere in the speed spectrum... When they die, you know... It stinks, it clanks, it rattles, you cannot get into and out of gear and the car runs like you are trying to start from a dead stop in 5th...
Old 07-21-2006, 12:24 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTlust

Thanks everyone. I didn't downshift and over rev it. It was sitting around 4,000rpms for a few seconds before I went to pass. It definately felt like the fuel was cut off right before I dropped it into second, after that it felt like someone shot me from a canon!
Well, now I am even more confused... [&:]

4K is nowhere near the redline...

The rev limiter kicks in by defaults somewhere around 6200 from what I have heard (I have shifted at 6100 from 3rd to 4th and no limiter in sight - not intending to do that, it wound up a litter faster than I planned).
Old 07-21-2006, 12:35 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Your car is fine.. don't worry about it.. trust me... that rev limiter is NOT going to let you blow your engine up...

think about it.. Ford would have to warranty no telling how many engines and trans because of this...

they ( Ford ) have got it covered and your car is fine and I bet you couldn't blow it up if you tried if it is

still almost new and stock...

My two cents worth ..!!!

Rex
Old 07-21-2006, 02:23 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

dont worry about it dude.. you wont blow your engine even if you redline everyday! if you keep your car on red line and stay there for minutes of minutes then yeah you will damage too your engine, otherwise just going to 6k rpm and and change gears is fine.. also, you are driving a mustang not grand caravan!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:59 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

something to add...

be careful downshifting too far- you can try to put it in first coasting off a highway exit, but you will stand a good chance of losing a foot.
forcing a downshift will cause the clutch disk to 'try' to spool up to the rpm needed to mesh the gears, but likely a synchroniser will get tore up(hopefully) and slip before the disc overspeeds and explodes. a clutch explosion might only do 'minor' damage(destroy clutch disk/throwout bearing/inputshaft bearings, etc)- unless the flywheel or pressure plate decide to join it- take a look at these pics:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/the...g_39267-3.html

Quick Reply: Can I blow the engine?